PDA

View Full Version : Question for aspiring mission writers...

Rami
November 26th, 2009, 06:51
To all,

Since some of you have expressed interests in new campaigns, (The Tempest thread, etc) I ask...are you aware that CFS2 is backwards-compatible? CFS1 missions, provided you learn the tricks, can and do convert readily to CFS2. Using these techniques, I've successfully converted several CFS1 campaigns to CFS2.

Operation Barbarossa
Deep War
56th Fighter Group
Battle of the Bulge
Beaus in the sand (In production)

If there is enough interest, I'd be willing to write a step-by-step tutorial for converting the numerous CFS1 campaigns that are available. I currently have over 80MB of projects alone for the ETO, MTO, and the Eastern Front, and simply do not have time for them all. There are also a multitude of projects for the Pacific.

Some of the projects available are to extend Desert Air Force back to 1940 and make it triple-sided, to create a Dutch campaign against the Germans, create a couple of German Eastern Front campaigns, and to base an entire campaign (1940-1942, I think) on the Defense of Malta.

Other options include...

A late-war campaign involving the Tempest and Typhoon.
A 20th Fighter Group campaign in the P-38 Lightning over Europe.
A B-17 'heavy' campaign, also over Europe.
The Battle of France.
A Spitfire campaign from 1942-1945.
A British "Pilot's War" campaign that beings in 1939 and lasts until 1945, 113 missions in length.
A German "Pilot's War" campaign in similar fashion.
Operation Dragoon...the Allied invasion of Southern France.

There are others as well. Given the fact that I now have two very active toddlers and other issues, I simply don't have quite as much time in CFS2 as I used to. I know there are others who have the same enthusiasm that I do for this sim.

Having said that...be aware that you would need to follow all the proper protocol for gaining permission to convert these projects, unless the authors leave it for public domain. This can be accomplished, however, and I can always help anyone who needs to track down an author.

So I ask....would it be worth my while to write a conversion tutorial so convert these projects to CFS2? I will only do this is there was genuine interest. In both Europe and the Pacific, all of the tools (Bases, EuroTargets, aircraft) are there and can be utilized to bring these projects to life. It's a lot easier to take projects like these and convert them rather than having to reinvent the wheel.

p14u2nv
November 26th, 2009, 07:09
Rami I for one would like to see how it is done correctly. I've done a few missions over many years now however they are nothing I would share with anyone and all due to my inexperience. I have learned not so much by reading but rather by doing...a step by step would be a blessing to me and for many others I am sure. I can only imagine what I don't know.

Thank you for this offer Rami and I am very interested in your gracious offer to help!

dhasdell
November 26th, 2009, 10:59
I's be interested, but let my forum sig be a warning.

Finn
November 26th, 2009, 11:49
I'll like to have such thing too - you already taught me a lot, so I am begining to (most carefully) play with the intestines of CFS-2 following your advice. It would be most interesting to try to convert/modify CFS missions - especially if by chance it should happen to work:applause:
Finn

tonybones2112
November 26th, 2009, 21:45
To all,

Since some of you have expressed interests in new campaigns, (The Tempest thread, etc) I ask...are you aware that CFS2 is backwards-compatible? CFS1 missions, provided you learn the tricks, can and do convert readily to CFS2. Using these techniques, I've successfully converted several CFS1 campaigns to CFS2.

Operation Barbarossa
Deep War
56th Fighter Group
Battle of the Bulge
Beaus in the sand (In production)

If there is enough interest, I'd be willing to write a step-by-step tutorial for converting the numerous CFS1 campaigns that are available. I currently have over 80MB of projects alone for the ETO, MTO, and the Eastern Front, and simply do not have time for them all. There are also a multitude of projects for the Pacific.

Rami, sign me on. When you get enough people I'll be waiting for this. I'm totally new to this game. Complaints? All my complaints rest in my lack of knowledge of it, but I'm learning. You no doubt have a multitude waiting, I'm one.

Bones

Rami
November 27th, 2009, 00:51
All righty.....I'll write the tutorial over the winter break. Thanks for responding! :ernae:

Discus
November 27th, 2009, 03:31
Thanks Rami. :applause::applause::applause:I´m in too. I don´t know if I´ll have much time, but learning new things is one of my favorite things. And I´ll like to help in making others enjoy this wonderfull game. It´s something I owe to the other simmers that share their work.

Cheers, Discus

erufle
November 28th, 2009, 04:44
I am interested too although actually undertaking such a project would be in the distant future as I currently have a couple of CFS2 projects in the works.