PDA

View Full Version : "New" New Garden

falcon409
November 25th, 2009, 20:09
When I originally did this airport a month or so ago I was unable to get any decent satellite imagery. Of course now, a month later, it has decided to give me whatever I want, lol. So, I'm redoing it utilizing the photoreal image. With the image compiled and loaded, nothing I placed is in exactly the spot it needs to be, so I'll have to start moving things a bit this way or that to get things sync'd with the photo. All the trees shown are scenery objects and not autogen, so all those will go and be replaced with correct seasonal autogen plus a night map WIP!

Daube
November 26th, 2009, 03:52
Seen from that angle, it looks really cool !
Falcon, do you upload all of your creations here, or do you have any official website that would show preview shots of the downloads ?

Railrunner130
November 26th, 2009, 04:26
That looks nice. Airport road, (bottom center going towards the T hangers) actually splits and has a bend and connects with the road on the right side behind the trees. See the AFCAD file I sent you for a better idea. There's also an old house along the left side of the Ts. I don't recall where exactly though. I'll have to dig out some pics. There's also something different with the maintenance hanger area (main ramp) but I don't recall exactly how it should be. Again, I'll dig out some pics.

:ernae:

Milton Shupe
November 26th, 2009, 04:48
hmmmm, seems like there should be trees at the end of that runway for FS? :173go1: Beautiful work.

falcon409
November 26th, 2009, 04:51
Seen from that angle, it looks really cool !
Falcon, do you upload all of your creations here, or do you have any official website that would show preview shots of the downloads ?
I did one big zipfile of all the Maine airports I produced, and posted a link here in a thread, but I don't remember if I posted them in the SOH download area or not. All the others that I've been doing lately, like individual requests for airports, I did those and then sent them via e-mail to those who requested them.

I don't have a website and because I don't do custom buildings, I rely on default and scenery object libraries which I found some people don't really want to have to download. . .too much of a hassle.

GT182
November 26th, 2009, 07:17
The hangar on the far right from the ramp is on a fairly steep hill. I know, I've climbed it a few times. ;) I think Chris can confirm that too.

Bjoern
November 26th, 2009, 08:39
The more often I see WIPs of your work, the more I want to do that kind of airport enhancement myself.

So cheers, Falcon! :ernae:

P.S: All you use is something to get those aerial images, SBuilderX, ADEX, the autogen annotator and an image editor, right?

P.P.S: There's tutorials for SBuilderX out there. Do they also explain how to get a smooth transition from photo to standard textures or do I have to do some research on my own on that subject?

MCDesigns
November 26th, 2009, 11:56
Outstanding Ed, looks great!!

I have a curious question for those that like what Ed is doing. Does the lack of custom buildings and seasonal textures affect your wanting to use these types of sceneries?? I ask as I have as many if not more of these types of fields done also, but due to the time involved in making custom objects and seasonal textures, they are far from being released and I wanted to see how important it was to users.

P.S: All you use is something to get those aerial images, SBuilderX, ADEX, the autogen annotator and an image editor, right?

Pretty much, although ADE works also

P.P.S: There's tutorials for SBuilderX out there. Do they also explain how to get a smooth transition from photo to standard textures or do I have to do some research on my own on that subject?

Not really that I have seen, but just either blur the edges or use a feather mod on the select tool and either will work. Color correction is the tricky part. I find if I load the original in FSX first, then make an image of the line between the two, then I can edit that image till it matches the default and save that setting for the actual image.

GT182
November 26th, 2009, 12:47
Falcon, I forgot to add... the airport is not on level ground. The 24 end of the runway is lower than it's opposite end 12. The T hangars are in sort of a hollow and the ground slopes up towards the road and back up towards the 12 end of the runway.

Hard to tell from your photo as you might already have that figured into the mix of things.

Railrunner130
November 26th, 2009, 17:05
We talked about the terrain issue Gary. I don't recall the end result. Either way, there is a two-story hanger that currently hosts the Colonial Flying Corps Museum and is not actively used for hangering aircraft. If I recall correctly from working there many years ago, it's got a wooden floor that is most likely not strong enough to support an airplane any longer.

I also provided an AFCAD of an earlier version, which I think corrects some of the ramp issues. I don't know if Ed can use it or not.

Bjoern
November 27th, 2009, 12:51
Pretty much, although ADE works also

ADE...ADEX...it's all the same. ;)

Not really that I have seen, but just either blur the edges or use a feather mod on the select tool and either will work. Color correction is the tricky part. I find if I load the original in FSX first, then make an image of the line between the two, then I can edit that image till it matches the default and save that setting for the actual image.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Michael!