PDA

View Full Version : Scenery Object Question

LTCSZ
November 25th, 2009, 08:09
Here's a question for you scenery object experts...I am using Aircraft Design Editor to make a few simple sceneries...I notice that there are quite a few object files out there in the .xml format...Is there any way to convert them to the .bgl format used by ADE? Hope this question is clear and not too idiotic!...Thanks in advance...

Steve in Kansas

falcon409
November 25th, 2009, 08:17
I use a ton of scenery objects and see that all the time, but I don't think the XML file actually is anything more than reference for an accompanying bgl file.

spotlope
November 25th, 2009, 08:18
Ed's got it. The formula is: Object mesh in MDL format + placement XML = scenery BGL. The 3D object itself isn't contained in those XML files.

expat
November 25th, 2009, 08:27
Am very amateur myself but am right now doing some simple sceneries and just discovered how to import third part scenery objects into ADE and its Library Object Manager and then easily place these and see them in ADE.

Suggest:

1. Do a search on google for "bglcomp.exe" - draggging your xml over this should then create a bgl.

2. Download the ADE manual at scruffyduck's site and it will guide you on how to load new scenery bgl's into ADE. Works a treat and far easier tha Rnwy 12 - which never worked well for me.

Let us know how you get on.

expat

:ernae:

NoNewMessages
November 25th, 2009, 08:33
ADE allows a user to import an object MDL file directly. It will only be available to and becomes a part of the airport being worked on. Using the MDL and XML, as Bill points out, can allow the object to become a scenery library for use most anywhere.

calypsos
November 25th, 2009, 09:04
I found that investing in Instant Scenery by Abacus was worth every penny.

You can see what you are placing within the sim and it converts the XML library objects to a .bgl file there and then. I use ADE and Instant Scenery together to make my stuff and Google and KML to make the flattens and blends.