PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a WWII Tempest-based campaign

delta_lima
November 25th, 2009, 05:58
Wondering what campaign would be the basis for simulating a 44-45 period tour with a Tempest squadron. Mostly ground attack, a few stray A2A opportunities (V1 doodlebugs, for real fun?).

Has such a campaign been developed, and if not, could I cobble something together from existing components?

many thanks

Rami
November 25th, 2009, 06:07
Well, I've used the Tempest for a few missions in the Battle for Europe campaign, but there are also a couple of campaigns for CFS1 in my project folder which involve the Tiffie and Tempest. If you are proficient in Mission builder, I could teach you the steps involved in converting CFS1 missions to CFS2.

Currently there are no campaigns that use the Tempest exclusively in CFS2, though the Typhoon is used quite extensively in the Royal Canadian Air Force campaign.

kdriver
November 25th, 2009, 06:32
Perhaps a conversion of the CFS1 campaign "A Bridge Too Far" (Operation Market Garden).

Rami
November 25th, 2009, 06:41
I did convert the "A Bridge at Remagen," it's up on my site.

R C CAWTE
November 25th, 2009, 08:00
Have a look on the net for Roland Beaumonts history in the RAF.Im sure you will find theres a campaign to be made using the tempest in that lot.
If you do decide to make any missions using the V1,let me know where to find one.Theres a couple over at simv,and one in CFS1 but they all avoid your plane in the chase and attempt to get on your tail.(Not very V1 like)Maybe one of our airfile gurus can run up a file for the V1 that just flies and falls???

Bill Kestell
November 25th, 2009, 10:32
My 2 cents worth (since I can't design scenery and destroyable objects) would be to include in the Typhoon Campaign some missions attacking rail targets. Wolfi made a nice German Br50 freight loco/tender along with what we Yanks call a Box car (goods wagon?) and a Tank car (for petrol/oil) as well as a flat car without a load (maybe someone could put a destroyable tank on it as well and a FLAK car that will tear your shorts off!!!

Someone (not me, 'cause I'm a pothole!) would need to create destroyable trackage (I have some nice pics of HO track with ties and roadbed in sections) that can be incorporated into the scenery as destroyable objects for the train to "run on". It wouldn't really run on the track ... I envision somehow matching the track "position values" to the train's "position values" much the way that ships operate on the water. Am I making sense here?

How to make the train? If you were to envision the engine/tender and the cars that follow as a series of small ships moving in column you get the idea. Or you could have 3-4-5 cars together as a "ship" with each being destroyable (or at least being able to smoke,burn,explode) and put 4 or 5 of these "groups " together to make up the train.

I have not worked out how you would destroy car #5 of 20 and have the engine/tender and other 4 cars still being able to move while cars #6 thru #20 remain stopped on the tracks. Nor have I figuered out how you stop the 20 cars when you destroy the engine/tender. (WAAAY beyond my pay grade)

Realism? Well, with grouped ships, anything but straight trackage would not look realistic (it would with individual cars). But remember, any Civil engineer will tell you that when building a railroad, rule #1 is FLAT, #2 is STRAIGHT ... unless you have to go through a mountain or over something like a river. Curves and elevation changes cost money and should be avoided whenever possible.

To my mind, most of Europe is flat-ish (I know, it's a generalization, but bear with me) ... thus you can fly into a section of a mission and there is the roadbed, running from point "A" to point "B" (wherever the hell that might be). And after a while ... there's the train ... just "sailing" along (maybe with some smoke and steam???) Gentlemen ... there's your target!

Some effects that are needed would be that MASSIVE release of steam when the fighter's bullets open up the boiler (we've ALL seen that gun camera footage) as well as that box car (goods wagon) that DETONATES
in a MASSIVE BLAST (we've all seen that one as well) .

I won't go into attacking railyards (the pics I have are straight, curved, left and right turnout sections so you could use various combinations to create "freight yard ladder tracks" ) ... but that is easily within reach.

ENOUGH ALREADY!

Finn
November 25th, 2009, 11:12
I can think of at least two rather good CFS-1 campaigns, one based on Pierre Closterman's great book "La Grande Cirque", probably called The Big Show in English, since that is the title of the campaign plus a campaign simply called "Tempest". Both would be great assets in CFS-2 using the superior planes an scenery of today. Some super talented guy like Rami could probably make beautiful campaigns based on these.
Finn
Finn

Jagdflieger
November 25th, 2009, 13:23
The V1 should fly straight and level if you make its unit family a bomber (2) and its catagory a level bomber (2) in the DP file.

Example:

[MISC_DATA]
unit_family=2
category=2
allegiance=2
max_group_size=8
min_speed=220
cruise_speed=618
max_speed=786
min_alt=50
cruise_alt=8500
max_alt=11100
entered_service=8/1/44
crew=1

After making and saving the mission, open up the .mis file and manually edit this data as CFS 2 will change one or the other to a 1 when saving the mission through the MB. Once done, your V1 will drone on as if unmanned.

A better option would be to use the "AF Shore Bombardmemt" package that is here in the library.

Get the bombardment package here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/downloads/download.php?lloc=downloads&FileID=1086

Some shots of Typhoons and Tempests over France.

Rami
November 25th, 2009, 15:37
One of these days I'm going to teach you guys how to convert CFS1 missions to CFS2.

delta_lima
November 25th, 2009, 22:30
wow - great responses. I downloaded the RCAF campaign - that sounds like what I'd ultimately like. I say ultimately, because I think with all the downloads of extra aircraft, etc., I may be biting off a fair bit just new to the sim. But I'm definitely tucking this campaign away for some fun over the christmas holidays ... thaks Remi and everyone else!

dl

R C CAWTE
November 26th, 2009, 00:29
Thanks Dave.:icon29:

miamieagle
November 26th, 2009, 04:07
That sound very Kool Rami!

Thank you for the offer:applause: