PDA

View Full Version : My new Jeep!

Death_Eagle_571
November 25th, 2009, 02:54
Hey guys, I havent posted in awhile cause I've been havin fun with my new toy hehe, its a 1976 CJ-5 with the 304 V-8, a T-150 3-Speed manual transmission with a Dana model 20 Transfer case, stock front and rear diffs, I think a Dana model 30 front and model 27 rear if I remember correctly, an Edelbrock Performer 600 Carburetor, Edelbrock Torker II Intake Manifold, I believe Hedman Headers, not sure which type, Glasspack mufflers, and 33" tires with 15" centerline rims, its a blast to drive and really turns heads!

Snuffy
November 25th, 2009, 03:01
Nice DE ....

I had a 73 cj-5 ... 258 in line 6 with a 4 speed manual.

Watch that high center of gravity and the short and narrow wheel base, they will play tricks on ya.

Nice looking rig. Mine was THIS COLOR with a black rag top. I really enjoyed going topless in the summer.

Navy Chief
November 25th, 2009, 03:11
That sure brings back memories. I had a 1974 CJ5, back in 1976. Also had a V8. At the time, I was working in the parts dept for a AMC dealership in Indianapolis. I was able to get LOTS of extras (i.e. rubber fender extensions, rollbar, etc...) VERY cheap. I loved that jeep. It was "daisy yellow"

NC

Death_Eagle_571
November 25th, 2009, 03:25
Hehe yeah, it does feel very stable on the road, I haven't taken it too far offroading yet, still a few small things to tweak on it, mainly the carb, still learning a bit about all that stuff from a mechanic friend of mine I know, I have a good knowlege of engines, but each vehicle is different, I gotta say tho, even in 2WD in high range, it has some nice torque hehe

hey_moe
November 25th, 2009, 04:09
To purty to drive off road :ernae:

Snuffy
November 25th, 2009, 04:10
I was always under the impression that a v-8 in a CJ-5 (or a cj-7 too) was way too much engine for that vehicle.

With my inline 6 I could do everything and anything I needed to and still had power to spare.

I could lock the front hubs and burn at least 3 tires. :)

One cold nasty winter day, I was pulling out of my parking place in the driveway at home to go to work, (the driveway was down hill from the house to the street) and I hit a patch of ice on the break of the crest and I did 5 360s down the driveway and managed to get it straightened out before the street.

What fun.

Death_Eagle_571
November 25th, 2009, 04:12
I remember reading the 304 put out 150HP and 245Ft-Lbs of torque stock, Mine prolly puts out 160-170, not really sure to be honest, it climbs hills like no tomorrow though, I've heard that the straight 6's were very good motors too, the thing I love about my Jeep is parts are very easy to find, and cheap lol

Crusader
November 25th, 2009, 04:13
Death_Eagle_571 : That's the cleanest looking Jeep I've seen in a long time . I really like the added chrome accessories along with the great looking wheels . I have always wanted a Jeep for years but I would have to part with my 99 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab 4x4 and I am having a hard time parting with it . I retired a year ago so I really just putter around a 20 to 30 miles radius and a nice Jeep would diffinately fit the bill . I've loved the Jeep since driving one in my early military days in the mid 60's . My wife thinks I'm crazy and says the Jeep is a "young Man's vehicle" and but quickly advised her it is for anyone wanting a real open air , free feeling . A great vehicle to just kick back and enjoy life .

Congrats on your new set of wheels ,

Rich

Death_Eagle_571
November 25th, 2009, 04:28
I always keep it pretty clean, it has very little body rust, just alittle back behind the rear wheels, up where the mud and gunk would fly, i gotta get some mudflaps and fender skirts lol, it was previously in Arizona, and garaged mostly when the guy I got it from had it, it needed a new rear driveshaft, and a few minor tweaks here and there, but now its running just about perfect, but I love getting my hands dirty, so its a pleasure.

Daveroo
November 25th, 2009, 04:57
i grew up in a 65 CJ-5,had a 4 banger stock,,my uncle blew that up on the freeway cause he didnt know how to drive dork,,god love em...dad put a 327 in it,was a dark yellow..with a deep shine...i hated to take it off road..allways came back scratched and id spend days polishing it....lol....

now the thread starter needs to come down from Oregon to northern california and take that purrdy jeep of his over the Rubicon....thats a trail

JAMIE
November 25th, 2009, 05:40
very nice

Drzook
November 25th, 2009, 06:03
Beautiful Jeep.
Brings back some fond memories of my grandfather's '68 Willys CJ-5 with the Dauntless V-6. Grandpa would take that all over the place, to his favorite fishing hole and beyond.
In the winter he'd put a plow on it and plow driveways too. Sometimes after a bad snowstorm he would suit up and take it out looking for people that got stuck and pull them out--for free no less.
I also remember when I was about 7 or so we were going to a doctor's appointment for our allergy shots. I noticed when we came to a stop Grandpa would put his right foot on the middle pedal and his left foot on that left pedal. I asked if that was the emergency brake. Looking back I think he may have been distracted; he said 'yep'. For the next 8 years or so I thought the clutch pedal was an emergency brake.:kilroy:

GT182
November 25th, 2009, 06:26
Nice CJ D_E. CJs are nice and a lot of fun, but a bit too breezy in the winters for me, and I'm too old too freeze to death in one. LOL

I still love my 2000 4x4 GC with the 4.7 V8 and Select-Trak. Those heated electric seats are just the ticket for winter weather. Yeah, I'm spoiled. ;)

Panther_99FS
November 25th, 2009, 13:13
Definitely looks like fun! :applause:

Cloud9Gal
November 25th, 2009, 13:38
http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Signs/cool-2.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

Nice set of wheels! Have fun and be safe on the road!

Willy
November 25th, 2009, 13:48
The first new vehicle I ever bought was a 1980 CJ-5 with the Pontiac Iron Duke 4 banger in it. I drove it everywhere. After I got married and had a couple of kids, I traded it in on a Ford Super Cab pickup. I miss that ol' Jeep.

Moparmike
November 25th, 2009, 14:47
I always keep it pretty clean, it has very little body rust, just alittle back behind the rear wheels, up where the mud and gunk would fly, i gotta get some mudflaps and fender skirts lol, it was previously in Arizona, and garaged mostly when the guy I got it from had it, it needed a new rear driveshaft, and a few minor tweaks here and there, but now its running just about perfect, but I love getting my hands dirty, so its a pleasure.

Nice lookin "sheep" there DE! :sheep:
33s or 32s? (nevermind...if I'd read I would've seen they're 33s) How's it geared?

Just remember to keep her clean underneath (where it traps the crud) and the body will last a lot longer. Not sure about how Oregon is about salting roads in winter time but even sandy winter road slush will trap moisture up there and let that pesky rust gremlins attack.
Be careful of those diamond-plate covers on the rear quarters too...Another bad place for rust since they trap moisture between them and the body panels.

Like some of the other guys, I think the good ole 258 inline-six is about perfect in the CJs. Lotsa of torque and darn near indestructible!

The 304 is a good engine though too, and the Edelbrock 4bbl is a much easier carb to tune than the originals (I've seen Motorcraft and Rochester duojets on 304s...both are a pain to tweak). I would've stuck with a Performer or other dual-plane intake instead of that TorkerII single-plane on a 4x4 though. You drop a bit of bottom end torque with the single-plane intakes.

Death_Eagle_571
November 25th, 2009, 15:54
Yeah, I'm really OCD about keeping it clean, I got some POR-15 paint i'll put on some of the rust and bare spots, i might see what i can do about the diamond plate panels, get some good rust proof paint and keep em clean, the Torker II intake manifold was on it when i got it, actually, all the stuff was on it when I got it hehe, only paid $4,600 for it, and other than a few little things, and a small electrical fire due to a grounded out ignition wire, its been running pretty smooth, theres a small ticking noise under the valve cover on the right side I gotta check out, prolly just the lifters, but thats pretty easy to check. I'm pretty sure its still got the stock front and rear ring and pinon gears, I'll have to have a look at that also, maybe get a new set to get some better power and better gas mileage hehe, I read if ya still have the stock gears with bigger tires, ya wont have power or fuel efficiency...

Moparmike
November 26th, 2009, 05:29
$4600 sounds like a good price from what I see.
There's been a CJ-5 for sale around here all summer long that the guys is asking 4000 for. 304, automatic, 32" tires on 3.73 gears, nowhere as clean as your rig is though.

Looks like a fun toy. Now get out there and let's see some shots of it "on the rocks"! :d
Just be safe when you're out running the trails...I'd hate to see your next pic of it on it's side!

Toastmaker
November 26th, 2009, 06:52
I was always under the impression that a v-8 in a CJ-5 (or a cj-7 too) was way too much engine for that vehicle.

With my inline 6 I could do everything and anything I needed to and still had power to spare.

I could lock the front hubs and burn at least 3 tires. :)

One cold nasty winter day, I was pulling out of my parking place in the driveway at home to go to work, (the driveway was down hill from the house to the street) and I hit a patch of ice on the break of the crest and I did 5 360s down the driveway and managed to get it straightened out before the street.

What fun.

Snuffy - did you actually go to work with that load in yer pants, or take the time to go back home and change. . . ?

:icon_lol:

Snuffy
November 26th, 2009, 09:14
Snuffy - did you actually go to work with that load in yer pants, or take the time to go back home and change. . . ?

:icon_lol:

Ummm ... yeah! :bump: