PDA

View Full Version : OT: A cool concept for all the modelers...

Bjoern
November 24th, 2009, 07:14
First:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEOmzjImsVc

Then:
Now imagine having this the other way around...mobile camera, static object.
Go to an airport, take a walk around the aircraft of desire with that program and a webcam running, enter interior, point the camera around et voilą, your favourite aircraft digitalized as a 3D model within minutes.

It would save soooooo much time...

limjack
November 24th, 2009, 07:43
Although I am not a modeler, this is beyond cool. The applications for this is endless.
Nice find Bjoern.

Mathias
November 24th, 2009, 08:29
Not new actually, and extremely expensive.

Lionheart
November 24th, 2009, 09:15
Very impressive.

Thanks for the heads up Bjoern.

Bill

krazycolin
November 24th, 2009, 10:48
As someone whose actually worked with this kind of thing, it's problematic at best. The reason being that you invariably have to go in and correct things.

It's not such an issue when you are doing scene setups (such as building additional "buildings" or add structure to a basic environment but when you are doing an AC or something that has complex structures and moving parts, the end result is not pretty.

That said, it's certainly advancing and the tracking is pretty good. But it's not quite ready for prime time... yet.

kc

empeck
November 24th, 2009, 11:04
Fv_M_-5RPck

Watch from 2:20 :ernae:

Lionheart
November 24th, 2009, 11:18
Fv_M_-5RPck

Watch from 2:20 :ernae:

Thanks Empeck! That is a brilliant video on their work.

Did you see how they were creating the mesh work 'on' the actual Bugatti with that pin striping tape? Even mesh cut lines for the hood center impression rib at the tip, having the radius polygon design already in it in the pin stripe tape, lol.. Wild stuff. Sure would make things like this easier for us on some planes designs, lol.. Would take longer to make them though.

Bill

AckAck
November 24th, 2009, 13:47
Did you see how they were creating the mesh work 'on' the actual Bugatti with that pin striping tape? Even mesh cut lines for the hood center impression rib at the tip, having the radius polygon design already in it in the pin stripe tape, lol.. Wild stuff. Sure would make things like this easier for us on some planes designs, lol.. Would take longer to make them though.

Bill

And to paraphrase Toy Story - "Unidirectional bonding strip" "Mr. Lionheart needs more tape"

Brian

Lionheart
November 24th, 2009, 14:26
lololol....

Yep..

"Well, to start with, to make that next bird, we'll need Gmax, Adobe PS, and 30 miles of 1/8 inch masking tape!"

Bill

CBris
November 24th, 2009, 21:48
Hmmm...

I may have to go visit that game and see how skinning cars differs from skinning planes. I guess one can make "own textures" for car race games?

To EagleSkin a Bugatti...

Wing_Z
November 24th, 2009, 23:26
This reminds me a little of when fax machines first appeared - amazing!
But the contents were dumb.
I remember asking a sales rep why, since the original had been scanned, I could not get an electronic editable copy?
Too hard!
Then came email, and voila!
So with 3D scanners - they too will get smart, and become interactive in ways we can only dream about.

Meantime...where do we get that Bugatti?? :d
EDIT: Oops, no Xbox here...

OBIO
November 25th, 2009, 00:52
The Bugatti looked incredible...but the sound pack sucked. I have yet to find a racing game in which the cars sounded life like.

OBIO

Bjoern
November 25th, 2009, 07:29
I have yet to find a racing game in which the cars sounded life like.

Buy a Veyron and race it professionally? :kilroy:

Gibbage
November 25th, 2009, 11:42
3D scanners have been around for almost as long as 3D programs. The biggest problem is the inevitable cleanup one must do on the models.

I have worked with scanned objects, and I find it faster to re-model them 100% using the 3D scan as a referance. That way you know for sure the size, position, and everything is close to 100% accurate.

Think of it this way. Yes, they have computers that can fly aircraft, and there are even drones out there that do fly, but when you still rely on a trained pilot for important task's, like making sure hundreds of people arive for there connection at DFW. There will always be 3D artist's, no matter how good scanners get.

Tylerb59
November 25th, 2009, 12:16
Scanners bite for reflective surfaces, that's why the Forza team is using contracting out the use of a digitizer. They outsource a team to locate and digitize key vehicles they were not able to obtain CAD from the manufacturer.

It creates a clean mesh and in many cases takes a lot of work out of the development cycle. For various reasons not all cars can be digitized (location, cost to deploy remote .. ) but they make it seem like they're all digitized in the video. :)

The tech used in the first post above is still better than nothing, as I'd prefer having at least some sort of raw data to draw around as a point of reference for scale, while using photographs as spec reference.

BASys
November 25th, 2009, 14:28
Hi Folks

Impressive to see live-processing of point clouds, mated with texture rendering.

Company I previously worked for
has been using post-processed technology for > 25 years.

Converting as built mil-hardware into a very hi-res software model.
At many magnitudes greater complexity than the Veyron example
all without any sticky tape. :icon_lol:

Obtaining and merging multi-source clouds using interferometry based datums.
Problem is the data-collection environment, minimising external vibration sources.

Also used for more basic dimensional control surveys,
and remote manufacture of link pieces,
for mating two pre-built units.

Plus the reverse recently -
to mark-off structures for outfitting
by photo-painting data onto a light-sensitive sprayed surface.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Bjoern
November 25th, 2009, 14:35
The biggest problem is the inevitable cleanup one must do on the models.

I was well aware of that; after all you'll still have to do moving parts and animations.

However...

That way you know for sure the size, position, and everything is close to 100% accurate.

...a scanned model is way better to determine proportions and sizes.

Every time I do some modeling, I'm spending way too much time simply guessing sizes of things from photos found on the web.
Annoying as heck.