PDA

View Full Version : Payloads in transport aircraft

UncleTgt
November 24th, 2009, 01:26
Question for the experts.

I'm looking at the old Stinson, & note there is only one payload in the dp file.

Got me thinking:

For small light a/c such as this, the behaviour will be significantly different once loaded, let's say with a Chindit casualty...

How can this be modelled? Is there a payload that already exists that can be added to the dp, so we can have empty/ loaded options?

Does the same logic follow for the larger transports, or is it less significant with the larger aircraft?

UncleTgt
November 25th, 2009, 11:52
1st Air Commando L-5 Stinson from the CBI ...

Jagdflieger
November 25th, 2009, 13:03
I'm just guessing here, but could you add it via the DP file? If you made some hard points and payload entries that were internal to the aircraft, you could fill it up bombs. You could vary the weight easily by the type and number of bombs you loaded. Depending on the new DP complexity for the plane, many options could be programed in during setup using the Freeflight menu or the Mission Builder menu.

CFS 2 keeps track of weapons weight and thus you could load up your transport planes and see the degradation of performance as the weight increases.

Nice skin on that Stinson! My wife's Uncle went MIA in the ETO while flying a liaison plane for the US Army.

UncleTgt
November 30th, 2009, 02:17
1st Air Commando repaint is in the queue.

Re. Payloads
I can use the C47 cargo, but they're too big, they stick out of the a/c sides.
I can use bombs, but then the player (or AI?) can drop them?

OBIO
November 30th, 2009, 03:47
IF you set your line right, the internal bombs can be set to be un-droppable. Here's a normal bomb line from the Zero's DP.

mount.2=wep_ja_60kg_gp, 1, 4

If you change the last number to o, like this

mount.2=wep_ja_60kg_gp, 1, 0

that should/will make the bomb un-droppable.

Or you can set up a passenger the right way, via the aircraft config file. Here's the [WEIGHT_and_Balance] section from the Zero's config file:

[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]
empty_weight = 3704 // (pounds)
reference_datum_position = 0.0, 0, 0 // (feet) distance from FlightSim Reference position: (1/4 chord, centerline, waterline)
empty_weight_CG_position = 0.0, 0, 0 // (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from specified datum
max_number_of_stations = 50

station_load.0 = 170, -3.0, 0.0, 3.0 //Pilot Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)

To add a co-pilot/passenger, add a second station_load line

station_load.1 = 170, -5.0, 0.0, 3.0 //Passenger Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)

You will have to adjust the X,Y,Z coordinates to place the co-pilot/passenger where you need it to be to achieve the balance that you are looking for.

OBIO

UncleTgt
December 4th, 2009, 04:15
Obio,

Thanks for the lead - I'll try it out.

Meantime, I've put a SEAC repaint in the upload queue.

JAN 1945 194 Squadron RAF started deploying a flight of Stinsons alongside their Dakotas.