PDA

View Full Version : Quickie Autopilot

falcon409
November 23rd, 2009, 07:54
Ok,
I've been painting and flying the Quickie quite a bit, added the update that Robert just finished and this is a true joy to fly. I have one problem however that I'm hoping someone here can fix or explain at least.

The airfile indicates an operable autopilot system for altitude and hdg hold. I've made the change in the aircraft.cfg file to make the autopilot functional. The problem is. . .it doesn't work. The autopilot activates, but as far as tracking a selected heading or maintaining a preset altitude. . .it will not. The airplane will begin a turn to the correct heading and then just continue to turn, in some cases turning so sharp it will enter a roll. . .which also keeps it from ever maintaining a proper altitude.

Now Robert has turned this over the SOH techies here to figure out so if anyone has already noticed this problem or has any ideas in general, post em' here. Thanks!

N2056
November 23rd, 2009, 08:04
The autopilot entries would have been residual from the original file I started with, and I never looked at them since I had no plans for an autopilot. I have no idea if they can somehow be made to work. Since I don't generally mess with autopilots I figured someone here might be able to help...:wiggle:

cheezyflier
November 23rd, 2009, 12:29
sometimes (i'm not familiar with the quickie) it is not just a matter of auto pilot lines in the cfg. it can also be a matter of electrical systems, and (i think) radios.

falcon409
November 23rd, 2009, 16:43
Anyone have this airplane and know a bit about the AP as it relates to the cfg and air files? If it doesn't work, and it's possible since the AP portion is a leftover of sorts, then I'm fine with that, I'd just like a definitive answer on yes or no.
Thanks.

Lionheart
November 23rd, 2009, 16:54
Ed,

You will need to activate certain gauge options in the config file, such as electric gyro or vacum gyro, then ensure you have a vacum pump or electrics drive in the config as well.

Its a tedius operation but it can be done.

Remember it was like this in the Ford Tri-Motor? Getting the AP to work required getting the config to have the components or systems in it that would allow for the AP to work. If you do not have a compass of some sort, etc, then it cannot function and is blind in the dark, turning in circles.

You might check another aircrafts' various sections that has an AP and see what they have, for say gauges in electrics section, and also direction devices, and also match them up to either vacum or electrics, etc.

Bill

cheezyflier
November 23rd, 2009, 17:29
i've long wanted to put one in the stock cub, but never figured it out

falcon409
November 23rd, 2009, 17:54
Ed,

You will need to activate certain gauge options in the config file, such as electric gyro or vacum gyro, then ensure you have a vacum pump or electrics drive in the config as well.

Its a tedius operation but it can be done.

Remember it was like this in the Ford Tri-Motor? Getting the AP to work required getting the config to have the components or systems in it that would allow for the AP to work. If you do not have a compass of some sort, etc, then it cannot function and is blind in the dark, turning in circles.

You might check another aircrafts' various sections that has an AP and see what they have, for say gauges in electrics section, and also direction devices, and also match them up to either vacum or electrics, etc.

Bill
Ahh, that makes sense Bill thanks. I'm off to follow the wires and vacuum hoses, lol.

falcon409
November 23rd, 2009, 18:29
Bill, that seems to have been the ticket. The entries for attitude, compass, etc were there but zeroed out. I just entered the necessary 1's or 2's and reloaded the aircraft and she now tracks dead on. Many thanks for the point in the right direction.:ernae: