PDA

View Full Version : O/T Ameriflight bird strike

airtj
November 20th, 2009, 16:59
Just heard about this,

http://www.abc15.com/news/local/story/Bird-hits-plane-above-Arizona-breaks-window-at-11/BcnY6OBNuU26jXFVSFLZ1Q.cspx

Lionheart
November 20th, 2009, 17:31
Goodness!

11,000 feet? What is up with that bird??? The last time he will be doing high altitude flights..

Glad the crew made it down safely.

I have had close calls with birds in cars. Once watched in shock as a pidgeon came into my view at 120 MPH when test driving cars on a oval track. The sound was like a gun going off, and I was amazed it didnt take the windshield out. Took a while to clean everything off. It dries very fast at high speed, so it turns hard and 'smelly'... eeks..

Note on the fuselage, what appears to be a bird foot. Stuck in the aluminum structure of the roof 'past' the windshield frame.. Scary.. Must have been a big one..

Bill

Piglet
November 20th, 2009, 19:36
Dumb bird, windshields are $$$$$$!
Sure got that door all bloody!
I once worked for Ameriflight, many years ago, when it was California Air Charter.
LH,
That "bird leg" sticking out is the outside air temp (OAT) probe.

oakfloor
November 20th, 2009, 21:08
That bird did not have a encoding transponder, or strobes lights and never filed a flight plan. PETA to file a lawsuite shortly..:icon_lol: But yeah no ones dead, thank God, a bird striks like that could knocked out the PIC or disabled him and been much worse.

FengZ
November 20th, 2009, 23:08
wow, 11,000ft bird strike. Must be migration birds or something....

-feng

Dain Arns
November 21st, 2009, 08:50
Useless information that I know.

Highest bird strike on record so far, is 37,037 feet. Many types of geese fly at high levels to use the winds aloft. I know there is one type that regularly flys at 33,000 feet when migrating.

Snuffy
November 21st, 2009, 09:10
I'm sure this is just a fruedian slip ... but ...

In January, a US Airways jet crashed into the Hudson River after a bird knocked out its engines.

Wasn't it a flock of birds? Canadian Geese to be specific ... I fail to see how "A BIRD" can disable a pair of engines as far apart as those wing mounted engines are.

:kilroy:

Lionheart
November 21st, 2009, 09:25
I'm sure this is just a fruedian slip ... but ...

Wasn't it a flock of birds? Canadian Geese to be specific ... I fail to see how "A BIRD" can disable a pair of engines as far apart as those wing mounted engines are.

:kilroy:

If its 20 or 30 of them flying in a V formation, I can see it. They may have tried to scatter to evade the jet as it was coming up on them.

One of those, at 5 to 8 pounds each, hitting that high RPM, super extreme balanced giant fan blade assembly will do alot of damage, let alone the parts and broken fins that will pass through the rest of the turbine. Some bad stuff.... Like dropping rocks in a piston engine cylinder.

Snuffy
November 21st, 2009, 09:29
If its 20 or 30 of them flying in a V formation, I can see it. They may have tried to scatter to evade the jet as it was coming up on them. ...

My point exactly. The reports for the American Airways aircraft has already been documented at being a flock of birds meaning more than one.

Oh and Bill, if you think a Canadian goose weighs 5 or 8 lbs ... you'd better check again ... :173go1: I'll be most of em weigh between 14 and 12 lbs each. They're not small.