November 18th, 2009, 11:01
To anyone out there that has the ability to make airports for FSX,
I am requesting airport that looks better then the stock KNQA for
FSX. KNQA was a US Naval Air station until 1993 when the BRAC
closed it, it was sold to the city of Millington TN and is now known
as Millington Muni. It has a 8,000 ft runway that FEDEX and some
military planes with do Touch and goes. Even the C-5 from the AIR
Guard located in Memphis (KMEM). The stock airport isn't all that
accurate either. The new FBO building is not depected either.
I can supply pictures if needed, although Google
earth could most likely give good detail. Thanks.....:wavey:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KNQA

MCDesigns
November 18th, 2009, 11:09
If I wasn't already swamped with projects, I'd love to do it as it has some great sat data for it. What kind of images can you get?

Z-AZ1USN
November 18th, 2009, 11:10
http://www.viptracking.com/airportphotos/KNQA.jpg

I am googling and trying to come up with all that I can find.

http://www.fltplan.com/AirportInformation/NQA.htm

MCDesigns
November 18th, 2009, 11:20
Ah, I see, I thought maybe you worked there or had access. the airport layout isn't the problem, it's modeling any of the buildings without images of them.

Z-AZ1USN
November 18th, 2009, 11:26
Ah, I see, I thought maybe you worked there or had access. the airport layout isn't the problem, it's modeling any of the buildings without images of them.

I DO work there, or across the street with the navy (DON) civil service
and retired Navy. VP67 (P3's) use to be there and a marine squadron
of Marine A4's were there up till 1983/84 time frame.

I worked at the AIMD hanger that VP67 used for there maintenance.

I think a satellite pic thru google map may provide more detailed info.

Navy Chief
November 18th, 2009, 11:51
How well I remember Millington! I went through Aviation Structural Mechanic (Egress) "A" school there, way back in 1973. That was the last time I saw Millington. It was a cold winter too!

NC

JamesChams
November 18th, 2009, 12:03
Glad to see a few "fellow sea-dogs" out there; even if your Petty Offices and not commissioned.
I, third, this suggestion. :wavey:

MCDesigns
November 18th, 2009, 12:17
AZ1USN, sorry, wasn't aware you did work there. Like I said earler, there is great sat data and I would be more than happy to provide a BGL (no seasons, just blend and night) for that if someone like Ed or another want to adjust the ADE/AFCAD file and move/add buildings.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5268/millmuni.jpg

Z-AZ1USN
November 18th, 2009, 12:22
How well I remember Millington! I went through Aviation Structural Mechanic (Egress) "A" school there, way back in 1973. That was the last time I saw Millington. It was a cold winter too!

NC

Well Chief, you wouldn't recognize it much now. Bupers is on the southside (where I work). I taught Data Analysis (DAC) school here in 81/86 retired
Jan 87. Your old school house still stands on the North side. That is where
they were trying to referbish the Memphis Belle (B17). It went to Dayton
AFB and they (USAF) even had a special hanger built for it.

Z-AZ1USN
November 18th, 2009, 12:30
AZ1USN, sorry, wasn't aware you did work there. Like I said earler, there is great sat data and I would be more than happy to provide a BGL (no seasons, just blend and night) for that if someone like Ed or another want to adjust the ADE/AFCAD file and move/add buildings.

FSX has the runway and a few building down ok or at least I know what
they were trying to create. The FBO office new building is near the tower (south) and it looks like they (FSX) tried to make a hanger near that aswell. It was a new marine A4 hanger now Tulsaire (Beechcraft) runs their
business ot of there. That would be a real hoot if some "gifted" personcould pull this off.
The light beacon is now on top of the control tower, they tore down the old free standing water tower a few years ago
(that is were the light beacon was).

flyinjake
November 18th, 2009, 12:35
WOW! It sure has changed since I was there in 1985. I went to Egress A school there also. Looks like the barracks next to the chow hall have been demolished. Is the chow hall still the building next to the display aircraft?

wantok
November 18th, 2009, 13:50
Wow, small world to some of us. Stopped by (winter 2006) from Arkansas to WV to visit a pal who was training on 18-wheelers at the Swift transportation training center there at Millington. I spent the 2 days touring the old naval strip part of which is now used for Class A driving school. Wish I had taken some shots there, although got a few at Memphis.

Z-AZ1USN
November 18th, 2009, 15:21
WOW! It sure has changed since I was there in 1985. I went to Egress A school there also. Looks like the barracks next to the chow hall have been demolished. Is the chow hall still the building next to the display aircraft?

Yes, the A5 Viggie is still siting on top of the Stick in front of the Galley.
RVAH 5. A lot of buildings were torn down (old wooden ones) and the
old bowling alley is gone.

Z-AZ1USN
November 18th, 2009, 15:24
Wow, small world to some of us. Stopped by (winter 2006) from Arkansas to WV to visit a pal who was training on 18-wheelers at the Swift transportation training center there at Millington. I spent the 2 days touring the old naval strip part of which is now used for Class A driving school. Wish I had taken some shots there, although got a few at Memphis.

When the Navy sold the airstrip to milllingtion (1$) the city counsel was
thinking about chopping up the runway and making it all an industrial park.
Fedex uses it as a backup/training field as well as other out of state
military jets that bounce there. A few Navy pilots will land there only to
see their detailers on the South side of the base.

flyinjake
November 18th, 2009, 16:00
I stayed in the barracks east of the galley. It appears they tore them down. snif snif

Now I want to check on NAS Glenview. I would be suprised if it was still a military base.

jdhaenens
November 18th, 2009, 16:10
I was there in 1984-87 on the staff of Chief of Naval Technical Training...yes...there was a submarine branch. I did NPS, sub Electricians and IC men.

tigisfat
November 18th, 2009, 19:08
I stayed in the barracks east of the galley. It appears they tore them down. snif snif

Now I want to check on NAS Glenview. I would be suprised if it was still a military base.

NAS Glenview was torn down. We're talking about the one North of Chicago, right? I think they even paved over the runways.

speaking of, this thread is about memphis NAS, right?

Railrunner130
November 19th, 2009, 05:24
If you guys can get the scenery done, I'll gladly do the AFCAD. Just let me know.

flyinjake
November 19th, 2009, 07:16
Yes, Memphis. I was at Memphis in 85 and after that my final duty was NAS Glenview. I brought that up since Memphis had changed I wondered if Glenview had. Which looking at google maps I would say it did.

Z-AZ1USN
November 19th, 2009, 11:11
If you guys can get the scenery done, I'll gladly do the AFCAD. Just let me know.

I could possibly take some photos of the FBO office and of the
hangers/T-Hangers and post them here if that would help. I know that
the runway is pretty close to true in FSX but the facilities/infrastructure is a bit off for sure.
Needs hangers redone (size and shape all wrong) and placement....

:gameon:

Z-AZ1USN
November 19th, 2009, 11:47
http://www.millingtonregionaljetport.com/Contactus.html

This is a link to the Milllington Muni (KNQA) formerly NAS
Millington TN. It has some info that may help.

This photo shows the south end of Runway 4-22 with a good view of the ramp, looking East
http://bartcampbell.com/memphisairports/images/NQAlayout.jpg

Google Satellite Map
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.35667,-89.87028&spn=0.063858,0.085316&t=k

Zoom from above link to show more detail (below) the FBO office (This pic is about one/two yrs old) but a lot closer the
what Microsoft did in FSX for KNQA.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.35667,-89.87028&spn=0.063858,0.085316&t=k

jdhaenens
November 19th, 2009, 12:05
The round top (Denver Style) hangar shown is built from the same plans as the Blue Angel Hangar at Pensacola. I made that into a generic hangar and put it out as a scenery object library. Flightsim dot com has the library. The square FBO hangar could be a FSX Standard hangar. You may want to look through the .apx's for it.\

Jim