PDA

View Full Version : New scenery for Horizon VFR Gen X users

calypsos
November 17th, 2009, 08:48
I have today finished my first ever scenery project, Linley Hill in south Yorkshire, which is on Volume 3 of the Horizon photoreal scenery for FSX.

MS just gave us a strip, with a fuel pump, I have added eye-candy a plenty, both on the airfield and the surrounding countryside.

You will need UK VFR freeware object library installed, instructions included!!

I will upload here as soon as I can, PM me if you would like a link to DL it sooner!

calypsos
November 20th, 2009, 05:49
I am afraid I never got a reply to my request for a password to upload here:sleep:, but this and my second scenery will be available over the weekend.

If it is allowed, I will post a link to the web-page that will host them. It is a site FULL of free sceneries, that will cover the whole photo-real UK with airfields and a lot of auto gen.

My second airfield, Deanland in East Sussex, has dedicated and accurate autogen vegitation for about a 10 mile radius. It also has 'eye-candy' in bucketfulls, with cows in the nearby field and even swimming (and low flying) ducks that live in the pond at the end of the runway. Watch out for that tree on the approach, I think a pair cutters may be needed soon!

MCDesigns
November 20th, 2009, 05:59
Great job, they both look wonderful!! :ernae:

feel free to post a link as long as the site is legit and bug free.

calypsos
November 20th, 2009, 08:46
Thanks Michael, here is the link to Linley Hill and Deanland should be up in 24 hours.

http://www.arm-computers.co.uk/html/trevor.html (http://www.arm-computers.co.uk/html/trevor.html)

Take a minute to browse the wonderful work of the site's host Tony Meredith via the link. Most DL's are small, but require you to have scenery object/texture libraries installed.

All these are freely available at Avsim/FS.com or even on Tony's site. It took me a while to collect them, but it has enabled me to populate the photoreal UK pretty much fully, with some really great scenery, all free!

IanHenry
November 20th, 2009, 09:16
Thanks Calypsos, I'll look forward to those. Tony's also done some marvellous work for FSX over the years.

Regards,
Ian.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

peter12213
November 20th, 2009, 16:08
The only problem with horizon VFR is that you need a really good comp to run it but as far as your airfield goes, it looks great! Congrats :applause: mate!

limjack
November 20th, 2009, 16:27
:applause: Nice work and thanks for sharing.:applause:

Jim

letsgetrowdy
November 21st, 2009, 22:45
I love scenery like this, there is something so wondeful about farm strips here in the UK, but I just don't know if I really want GENX, see each part, if you want it in good quality, is 22GBs!!!!!
I dont' know who has much avialable for four parts!!!
The other big put off is the fact it comes without autogen, which also really annoys me, because in the screenshots on Horizon's website, it shows the missleading images of autogen!
Well it's wonderful little strips like this that make we want to buy GenX.
This is because a friend of my father's has a tiger-moth, and occasionly flies me to his private airfield in Wiltshire. I love the whole atmosphere of the nearby grazing cattle, the swaying grass and the old barns that smell of aviation fuel.

calypsos
November 22nd, 2009, 00:03
I have all three GenX volumes and bought a cheap new HD just to keep them on, they are supposed to work better on a different drive to Windows and FSX.

If you fly mainly in the UK, they are a must, you fly proper VFR using real landmarks for navigation. Now, with about 70% of all airfields enhanced to blend into the scenery, (UK2000 Vol and 2 and freeware) they are the only way to fly non airliner-wise in the UK.

I will always include autogen in my sceneries but honestly, once above 1000ft, you will not notice it is missing, as the resolution on FSX photoscenery is much better.

Both sceneries should be up at FS.com this afternoon, I am still waiting for Deanland to be up at my host's website. I never did get a password to upload here though:sleep::sleep:

calypsos
November 22nd, 2009, 07:59
Both files now up at FS.com:jump::jump:

colihamp
November 25th, 2009, 04:55
I held off buying GENX for about a year or so, convinced myself that I didn't need it. I took the plunge about 6 weeks ago and I can't imagine how I ever flew UK VFR without it. I can honestly say it's the best purchase I've ever made for MSFS.

I have my three volumes installed on the main drive with everything else. I get much better (+50%) FPS than default. Like many things related to FSX, people will have different experiences so I can't say it would be the same for everyone. I have what I would consider a very standard comp now (Q6600, 8800GTX with 3MB RAM running XP).

This Deanland scenery looks good - have flown over a couple of time in real world and should get around to visiting one day. Thanks.

calypsos
November 25th, 2009, 07:31
I totally agree with you, default is OK for IFR flyers, but VFR in the UK is impossible without this stuff.

If you buy 3 volumes at once (although not cheap) you can often get a special deal.

I am getting Vol 4 (Western Isles) for a Christmas present, so expect some enhanced airfields and autogen for there in the new year.