PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection.... Lost

Chacha
November 17th, 2009, 04:23
I moved my main computer from my bedroom to the living room area; I tried my computers last night and everything was ok. This morning, I could not get connected to the Internet, it is saying that I don't have am IP address... (?)... I don't know how could that be.... Dang.... I getting frustrated... I disconnected all cables again, reconnected them, tried to turn on again... And it says no connectivity...

I am getting tired... I am going for a walk... Using my iPhone...

Lionheart
November 17th, 2009, 05:40
I moved my main computer from my bedroom to the living room area; I tried my computers last night and everything was ok. This morning, I could not get connected to the Internet, it is saying that I don't have am IP address... (?)... I don't know how could that be.... Dang.... I getting frustrated... I disconnected all cables again, reconnected them, tried to turn on again... And it says no connectivity...

I am getting tired... I am going for a walk... Using my iPhone...

ChaCha,

This just happened with my sisters family. No IP Address. Seems their service is down in that area and will not be up for like 3 weeks or something crazy.

Check your service and see whats wrong. You can always go with a different service if they are going to be down for an extended period of time.

EDIT: Also check with ATT. You might have 'Teathering' now available in which you can use the iPhone as a bluetooth internet modem connection for your computers.

Bill

Chacha
November 17th, 2009, 05:45
Why are you up so early Lionheart?

But it was working fine last night... All the necessary lights are on.... Let me call Brighthouse... Is it ok to text you after I call BHN?

Blackbird686
November 17th, 2009, 05:49
Sometimes moving a computer can loosen boards in their sockets.... I have had this issue before. When I installed a new computer in the downstairs rec-room, I moved the "internet" machine to the upstairs bedroom. After re-routing all the cables and plugging everything back in, I got the same message. The end fix was to shut the box down, take the panels off and re-seat the modem card.... problem solved.

BB686:USA-flag:

Chacha
November 17th, 2009, 06:05
Sometimes moving a computer can loosen boards in their sockets.... I have had this issue before. When I installed a new computer in the downstairs rec-room, I moved the "internet" machine to the upstairs bedroom. After re-routing all the cables and plugging everything back in, I got the same message. The end fix was to shut the box down, take the panels off and re-seat the modem card.... problem solved.

BB686:USA-flag:

Yaaay!

Thanks man, I shut the box down for a few minutes.... sip a cup of tea, relaxed a little bit.... prayed a little harder.... and presto... I am back in circulation....
Thanks again, Blackbird.... you made my day! :ernae:

Chacha
November 17th, 2009, 06:22
Main computer is now ON.

I have to work on my wireless....

Whew.... what have I done! :monkies:

Dangerousdave26
November 17th, 2009, 12:14
Chacha

There was a major outage in the DSL service down here with Bell South this morning.

It may have affected you as well.

Its just funny how these things happen as soon as you make a change that makes us think we did something wrong.

Dave

Ickie
November 17th, 2009, 12:26
I have at liest 1 computer on 24/7 so my conection never gets lost

Duckie
November 17th, 2009, 12:54
According to the IT folks where I work, AT&T had a major trunk line cut yesterday and they are still recovering by rerouting causing "rolling" outages while they reroute major service in the deep southeast. Our WAN connectivity was down most of the day yesterday and we've have had spot outages all day today.

Your problems could have been been related to this dig in.

Duckie

gigabyte
November 17th, 2009, 13:18
According to the IT folks where I work, AT&T had a major trunk line cut yesterday and they are still recovering by rerouting causing "rolling" outages while they reroute major service in the deep southeast. Our WAN connectivity was down most of the day yesterday and we've have had spot outages all day today.

Your problems could have been been related to this dig in.

Duckie

Oh I've been there done that and didn't like the T-Shirt. We had a major outage here in canada a few years ago, it took out the ATM network and the entire debit/credit card system. It was not pretty, I administer the eastern section of a National WAN (wide area network) and when it dropped we had staff all over the country counting fingers and toes for almost 2 days. It was eventually disclosed that a technician had dropped a tool (I believe it was a punch down tool used to insert twisted pair wires into the connection blocks, as in the phone wires...) It was quite the mess, our company has several well thought out disaster plans for system failures and all we could do was sit and wait this was totally out of our control. I think it was several week before Bell Canada had all the routing issues resolved, I know our WAN was line a 1200 baud modem for the first couple of days. Shows how much we rely on the public switched networks.