PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Reality XP

LouP
November 16th, 2009, 09:52
I have every one of their gauges in FS9. I know that the FLT and FLNs were made for both FSX and FS, so I am expecting them to work in FSX for me. I plan on purchasing the WAAS Garmins as I have am already aware that the FS9 Garmins will not work due to them depending on the 16 bit Garmin trainer (shame). But anyone know if any of the others gauges will work in FSX such as the Sandels, JetLines and what not?

Thanks,
LouP

Wombat_VC
November 16th, 2009, 17:42
I have every one of their gauges in FS9. I know that the FLT and FLNs were made for both FSX and FS, so I am expecting them to work in FSX for me. I plan on purchasing the WAAS Garmins as I have am already aware that the FS9 Garmins will not work due to them depending on the 16 bit Garmin trainer (shame). But anyone know if any of the others gauges will work in FSX such as the Sandels, JetLines and what not?

Thanks,
LouP

I have the Sandel 3400 for FS9. I tried porting it over to FSX but it won't work. Maybe I didn't try hard enough. (Might have missed some DLL files or something.)

ryanbatc
November 17th, 2009, 06:15
nm...

Moparmike
November 17th, 2009, 06:50
I know what ya mean Lou. I'm really missing having the RXP GNS530 in FSX.
I'd like another full featured 430/530 system for FSX...I'm sure there are some out there that are reasonably close that don't require the Garmin trainer to run. Just gotta find em!

IanP
November 17th, 2009, 07:39
They redid the weather radar for FSX, I believe, but I also miss their Sandel units.

Dain Arns
November 17th, 2009, 08:13
They redid the weather radar for FSX, I believe, but I also miss their Sandel units.

I agree. I used their Sandel in the FSD 337. I never could get it to work in FSX either. :frown:

LouP
November 17th, 2009, 08:14
Awwee, drats. :bump:

LouP

daytonite_andy
November 17th, 2009, 09:29
I know what ya mean Lou. I'm really missing having the RXP GNS530 in FSX.
I'd like another full featured 430/530 system for FSX...I'm sure there are some out there that are reasonably close that don't require the Garmin trainer to run. Just gotta find em!

Reality XP released both the Garmins (530 and 430) for FSX. I have both (and the weather radar) and wouldn't fly without them.

ryanbatc
November 17th, 2009, 09:44

The GNS430W and 530W units both have a terrain map similar to the Sandel display

Dain Arns
November 17th, 2009, 09:57
The GNS430W and 530W units both have a terrain map similar to the Sandel display

Talking about the EFIS unit, not TAWS... :d

http://www.reality-xp.com/flightsim/sn3308/index.html

ryanbatc
November 17th, 2009, 09:57
Talking about the EFIS unit, not TAWS...

http://www.reality-xp.com/flightsim/sn3308/index.html

ahhhh. yeah that one, that worked so well in the Dreamfleet Baron - oh I miss it!

Moparmike
November 17th, 2009, 14:24
Reality XP released both the Garmins (530 and 430) for FSX. I have both (and the weather radar) and wouldn't fly without them.

Dang...I missed that.
http://www.reality-xp.com/flightsim/gns530/index.html

I gotta get in touch with em to see if their FSX upgrade is useable on just the 530 only or if it's just for the 530/430 package. My current package is the 530-only set and not the 530/430 pack that they've got the update listed for.

Thanks for the heads up!

jmig
November 17th, 2009, 14:46
ahhhh. yeah that one, that worked so well in the Dreamfleet Baron - oh I miss it!

I miss the Dreamfleet Baron. They and XPR got into this group to build a FSX Airbus. As far as I know, it never left the ground and both companies have been pretty much stayed off the radar for FSX.

XPR gauges were nice. I think other companies' 3d gauges have caught up with XPR.

Now, if the company would produce gauges that would run on a second or third computer and if they produced fighter gauges....ahhh I dream too much.

bkeske
November 17th, 2009, 19:18
Dang...I missed that.
http://www.reality-xp.com/flightsim/gns530/index.html

I gotta get in touch with em to see if their FSX upgrade is useable on just the 530 only or if it's just for the 530/430 package. My current package is the 530-only set and not the 530/430 pack that they've got the update listed for.

Thanks for the heads up!

You have to purchase the 530/430 separately. It (WAAS version) is not an upgrade, but two separate and new units, and are the only units that will work in FSX.

Wombat_VC
November 17th, 2009, 21:39

Yes. However, there is a catch. When the RXP GNS is turned on, it will take over all GPS functions from whatever GPS units in the plane. This is OK until you realise that the waypoint you want is not in the RXP (Garmin Trainer) database.

Moparmike
November 18th, 2009, 06:37
You have to purchase the 530/430 separately. It (WAAS version) is not an upgrade, but two separate and new units, and are the only units that will work in FSX.

Thanks! Mine isn't the WAAS version. So...it looks like I'm gonna be looking to buy that 530/430 pack anyway. DOH! Oh well, it'll be worth it.

LouP
November 18th, 2009, 08:24
I will most likely be picking them up also. But what the heck is with the pro version now, $99??:running:
Am I reading that correctly? I bought the pro version in FS9 but don't remember spending that kind of money. :173go1:

LouP

bkeske
November 18th, 2009, 09:59
No, it wasn't that much. Jean-Luc has explained this in the RXP help forum. He is charging as necessary to make this work for FSX. That is his price; you either accept it, or not.

bkeske
November 18th, 2009, 10:08
Yes. However, there is a catch. When the RXP GNS is turned on, it will take over all GPS functions from whatever GPS units in the plane. This is OK until you realise that the waypoint you want is not in the RXP (Garmin Trainer) database.

You can switch to a default GPS 'on the fly' if you need to go direct to a waypoint only within the FSX database, then switch back to the RXP unit to complete your flight plan. You cannot do that with the default GPS units. Once you go 'direct to' with the default GPS unit, you lose your flight plan.

To be honest, I simply will not create a flight plan without the waypoints being within the RXP/Garmin data base, and/or will find a FSX waypoint that is almost identical to the Garmin database (perhaps named differently) and use if flying FSX IFR with a filed plan (in my case, I use Radar Contact), or create a custom waypoint in FSX. I also use Voyager to create and export my plans into FSX, and they practically always 'jive' with the Garmin database. Just the 'nature of the beast'; these real world waypoints change at times, or these various databases are not complete, or simply out of date, and trying to 'mesh' the FSX, RXP, Voayger (in my case), etc databases together can always become an issue. But nothing that cannot be overcome.

LouP
November 18th, 2009, 12:50
No, it wasn't that much. Jean-Luc has explained this in the RXP help forum. He is charging as necessary to make this work for FSX. That is his price; you either accept it, or not.

Maybe its me but this confuses me. How much is it then? I double checked the price as I was very surprised when I saw it?

I understand it is what it is and I either buy it or don't but to be honest this post was not much help (very confused)

LouP

bkeske
November 18th, 2009, 13:14
First of all, I assume you are talking about the 'unlimited' pack, not what was called 'pro' in FS9?

It cost about $35-$40 for FS9 IIRC, Jea-Luc has stated to make this work for FSX much more work was necessary than the FS9 product, thus the higher cost. Again, you can do a search and find his rationale on the web site.

I'm not defending Jean-Luc on his pricing structure, as I have no clue the time he had to invest to make it work for FSX, and how that translates into the sales price. Obviously, per Jean-Luc's statements, it took much more time than the FS9 version. At that point, we simply have to make a decisions whether that price is fair and/or beneficial to us as a consumer. If so, you buy, if not, you pass.

Finally, the unlimited pack also includes TCAD which the regular WAAS GPS units do not contain.

LouP
November 18th, 2009, 15:15
I'm not sure who the heck you are but sure came in here with a freak'n attitude. I was just looking for clarification on the price not a lecture on whether I have a right to mention that price as quoted seems high. Maybe you need to take a chill pill before your next post but I really do not appreciate the attitude. The picture below is right off the RXP website. If it says this but Luc means something different then I am still confused and don't need to here any more how hard it was for him. I am sure it was difficult, so what, so is my job. :isadizzy:

LouP

jmig
November 18th, 2009, 15:47
What is interesting Lou, is that you could buy the 530 & 430 separately and save money. I noticed that the $99 model says unlimited. Does that mean it can be installed on more than one computer at a time?

Wombat_VC
November 18th, 2009, 17:49
You can switch to a default GPS 'on the fly' if you need to go direct to a waypoint only within the FSX database, then switch back to the RXP unit to complete your flight plan. You cannot do that with the default GPS units. Once you go 'direct to' with the default GPS unit, you lose your flight plan.

To be honest, I simply will not create a flight plan without the waypoints being within the RXP/Garmin data base, and/or will find a FSX waypoint that is almost identical to the Garmin database (perhaps named differently) and use if flying FSX IFR with a filed plan (in my case, I use Radar Contact), or create a custom waypoint in FSX. I also use Voyager to create and export my plans into FSX, and they practically always 'jive' with the Garmin database. Just the 'nature of the beast'; these real world waypoints change at times, or these various databases are not complete, or simply out of date, and trying to 'mesh' the FSX, RXP, Voayger (in my case), etc databases together can always become an issue. But nothing that cannot be overcome.

Thank you for the tips. I will try them. :wavey:

bkeske
November 18th, 2009, 18:28
I'm not sure who the heck you are but sure came in here with a freak'n attitude. I was just looking for clarification on the price not a lecture on whether I have a right to mention that price as quoted seems high. Maybe you need to take a chill pill before your next post but I really do not appreciate the attitude. The picture below is right off the RXP website. If it says this but Luc means something different then I am still confused and don't need to here any more how hard it was for him. I am sure it was difficult, so what, so is my job. :isadizzy:

LouP

Not sure what attitude you are talking about. You seemed surprised in an earlier post that it is $99, and that it seemed high, as the pro version in FS9 was much less. Many folks were surprised, not happy about it, and it became quite a conversation on the RXP 'help forum'. Myself included.

I simply stated Jean-Luc indicated that it took much more work to accomplish in FSX than it was for FS9, thus the higher price. Then suggested that you visit the RXP help forum in order to read Jean-Luc's response to your, and others, questions about the price.

Again, no attitude, no lecture; you inquired why, and I answered the best I could without speaking for Jean-Luc.

Sorry you took offense.

bkeske
November 18th, 2009, 18:34
What is interesting Lou, is that you could buy the 530 & 430 separately and save money. I noticed that the $99 model says unlimited. Does that mean it can be installed on more than one computer at a time?

You can do that, but they will not cross-fill ('talk to each other'). That is the main advantage of the 'Unlimited package', and why folks would purchase it. That, and it includes TCAD, which the stand-alone 430/530 WAAS do not have.

LouP
November 18th, 2009, 19:40
Well if I took it wrong then I am sorry also, I can see much different tone than your last two posts so thank you for not carrying this on. I can live without the extra functions in the GPS units if it really is $99. The only way that the $99 would be worth it to me would be if it included the 530 and the 430 but from what I recall reading prior was that it does not include the two units. I think it may include one so you would buy the 530 and then the 430 would be included in the Ultimate package, very confusing. I read that some folks purchased both units on top of paying for the Ultimate package and were not happy afterwards. I can see why they did that cause I'm still not 100% sure what is included after looking at the website.

Also, I think Jean-Luc is moving on to bigger things which may be why we don't see many new products or some others updated (but this is just my guess).

Cheers,
LouP

bkeske
November 18th, 2009, 20:07
No problem Lou. If I came on 'straight forward', it is because I've been very busy with my work, and responding during a break. I seem to have my 'business attitude' on quite often, and unfortunately not enough time for flying lately. I was simply trying to provide some clarity, as there seemed to be some confusion upon reading the posts early on.

If you remember, the old 'pro' program didn't include the 430/530 unit either, just the ability to crossfill. Again, it is either worth that function, or not. The 'ultimate' package does not work unless you have already purchased the 430, 530, or both. It simply provides a license to run two of the combinations at the same time, (two 430's, two 530's, or a 530 and 430 together), just like the old 'pro package', and again, provides the ability to cross fill in addition to the TCAD system.

I have not purchased it yet myself, but probably will at some point. The crossfill option is something I do miss.

LouP
November 18th, 2009, 20:33
Thanks for the clarifiaction and again sorry for the misunderstanding. I very much enjoyed the pro pack also in fs9 but will most likely pass on this one as I feel I have so much I need to buy first for FSX including that Duke in your signiture. Maybe way down the road but I will just pick up the 530 or 430 for now.

LouP

bkeske
November 18th, 2009, 20:54
RealAir was nice enough to provide panel configurations for both the RXP 530 and 430. The Duke with an RXP GPS unit is a 'hard to beat combo'. Highly recommended.