PDA

View Full Version : Eyfinity screenshots Roy Chaffin freeware B-25

sberlins
November 15th, 2009, 14:51
Roy Chaffin FSX B-25:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g157/Steve_Snake_Driver/2009-11-15_11-41-54-74.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g157/Steve_Snake_Driver/2009-11-15_11-42-36-177.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g157/Steve_Snake_Driver/2009-11-15_11-40-40-788.jpg

Dain Arns
November 15th, 2009, 15:31
I'm not worthy enough to fly something that beautiful! :jawdrop:

Freeware!?!?!

I'll be snarky and say it, that there puts some payware developers to shame! :icon_lol:

WOW!!! :applause: :ernae: :applause:

deimos256
November 15th, 2009, 15:32
i thought this was a portover? I remember it being mentioned but never installed it

Dain Arns
November 15th, 2009, 15:40
I was totally out of the loop on this one. :redf: Has it been out for a while then?

The RCS Panels pages states it is a total rebuild for FSX... :kilroy:

http://www.roychaffin.com/rcs-panels.html (Under "Packages Tab)

heywooood
November 15th, 2009, 16:47
it looks great - but am I missing a VC texture or two somewhere?...

heywooood
November 15th, 2009, 17:22
n/m - I really need to start reading manuals...

apparently this model has all of its controls accessed through pop-ups - :kilroy:

since it is free there is no complaint - just would have liked a stablemate for Miltons A-26

Dain Arns
November 15th, 2009, 17:23
it looks great - but am I missing a VC texture or two somewhere?...

Guess it is a port over.
I don't know, but your VC looks like the one I have...

Lateral-G
November 15th, 2009, 17:25
I was totally out of the loop on this one. :redf: Has it been out for a while then?

The RCS Panels pages states it is a total rebuild for FSX... :kilroy:

http://www.roychaffin.com/rcs-panels.html (Under "Packages Tab)

It's been out almost 6 months now. And it's FSX native according to Roy.

-G-

heywooood
November 15th, 2009, 17:41
yes it is native FSX - but the VC is (to my mind) incomplete...

I have viewed the FS9 boards here a few times to see why many have decided not to upgrade to FSX and surprisingly to me, there were many there who posted that they prefer 2D pits and pop ups to the FSX style -complete- VC

I don't get why that would be other than up until this iteration of MSFS - that was all there was...and some are reluctant to change even when the changes make it even more 'real as it gets' :kilroy:

cheezyflier
November 15th, 2009, 18:03
i prefer fsx, but i admit i am a 2-d panel guy. most vc's are
hard for me to see where stuff is

Tylerb59
November 15th, 2009, 18:07
I'm not worthy enough to fly something that beautiful! :jawdrop:

Freeware!?!?!

I'll be snarky and say it, that there puts some payware developers to shame! :icon_lol:

WOW!!! :applause: :ernae: :applause:
:ernae:

heywooood
November 15th, 2009, 19:03
i prefer fsx, but i admit i am a 2-d panel guy. most vc's are
hard for me to see where stuff is

this makes sense to me as my eyesight is declining - so I am not against pop-ups as long as the VC is complete and I have the option of using them where needed.

This plane is a nice model - extremely well executed and I thank the authors

:ernae:

Stan V.
November 15th, 2009, 19:16
Yes, you are correct - the VC is incomplete but intentionally so. When this was first released by Roy Chaffin, I posted a set of impressions on AVSIM in which I mentioned my own wish for a more complete VC and my desire for elimination of the pop-up 2-d panels. I did get a response at the time from a fellow named Steve (last name unknown) who said he was the creator of the software and that he intended to upgrade the representation to include a full VC. Well, that didn't happen. It's been several months now, and I suspect Steve's good intentions were overtaken by events and competing projects. Unless Steve gets motivated to ressurect this project, we probably are looking at the final result.

heywooood
November 15th, 2009, 19:21
I also hope Steve decides to / or has the opportunity to continue working on this fine airplane - what there is of the VC is really quite good. :ernae:

Navy Chief
November 15th, 2009, 21:28
I thank the creators of this wonderful freeware release. It is GREAT!

NC

expat
November 15th, 2009, 23:22
Great bit of freeware. Very surprised there don't seem to be any repaints other than the one shown. Anyone know of any others?

expat

jankees
November 16th, 2009, 00:18
Great bit of freeware. Very surprised there don't seem to be any repaints other than the one shown. Anyone know of any others?

expat

they do not allow repaints....

dominique
November 16th, 2009, 02:40
Very nice pics Sberlins ! The Eyefinity technology looks tempting...

I'm looking going ATI just for it in a new build. It looks much easier to manage than the Matrox multimonitors contraption and Nvidia doesn't have the equivalent (so far...).

Seems you run three monitors in an horizontal row, at what resolution and frequency ? Do you get a good framerate and ease of use with FSX ?

wpthayer
November 16th, 2009, 05:05
Thanks for this one. during my FS 9 days I would spend a lot of time in the M.A.M. B 25 And now in FSX I have missed her. This is pretty close if not better. Thanks. :applause: And freeware as well.

Dain Arns
November 16th, 2009, 07:15
they do not allow repaints....

That's probably why it never caught my attention. Too bad about that policy. We have some mighty gifted folks around here... :wiggle:

Henry
November 16th, 2009, 07:57
That's probably why it never caught my attention. Too bad about that policy. We have some mighty gifted folks around here... :wiggle:
i will second that
its a shame
H

expat
November 16th, 2009, 09:27
Not allowing ANY repaints?! That's a new one on me. Not sure why anyone would go to all the effort and then share a nice bit of freeware like this and not allow it to be fully enjoyed in the usual way. Maybe . . , naw, never mind . .

stansdds
November 17th, 2009, 02:00
There is a long history behind this freeware, but in order for it to exists, repaints were expressly forbidden.

italoc
November 17th, 2009, 08:37
I tried it but ...... on DX10 no texures http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon8.gif:isadizzy:
:pop4:

(like the one at MAAM !!!)

Aren't there any patch ?

Italo

sberlins
November 17th, 2009, 16:37
Very nice pics Sberlins ! The Eyefinity technology looks tempting...

I'm looking going ATI just for it in a new build. It looks much easier to manage than the Matrox multimonitors contraption and Nvidia doesn't have the equivalent (so far...).

Seems you run three monitors in an horizontal row, at what resolution and frequency ? Do you get a good framerate and ease of use with FSX ?

5760 X 1200 @ 60hz. This on an i7 @ 3.8 ghz with 12 gig of memory. Framerates are very good. Most everything is maxed except water and, I think, autogen. I have fps target setting at 36 and get that most everywhere except for large cities like Seattle and San Francisco. There it can drop to 17-19 depending on where you are looking but still quite flyable. Rapid head movements with TrackIR 4 do get some smearing, but normal head movement is sublime. One thing I did notice right off is that with a single screen, I never quite felt the sensation of speed at low level in FSX (or FS9 for that matter), but this is greatly improved with the added screens.

audixaudix
December 18th, 2009, 01:31
Yes, you are correct - the VC is incomplete but intentionally so. When this was first released by Roy Chaffin, I posted a set of impressions on AVSIM in which I mentioned my own wish for a more complete VC and my desire for elimination of the pop-up 2-d panels. I did get a response at the time from a fellow named Steve (last name unknown) who said he was the creator of the software and that he intended to upgrade the representation to include a full VC. Well, that didn't happen. It's been several months now, and I suspect Steve's good intentions were overtaken by events and competing projects. Unless Steve gets motivated to ressurect this project, we probably are looking at the final result.

Hi Guys

Unfortunately, my wife was diagnosed with leukaemia and I have been out of Flight Simulator virtually all year because of family matters relating to this.

I have however been able to work on the VC and repaints and 2 new repaints will be released very soon - and I mean very soon. No announcements will be made until the actual release. I will not be finished with the updated VC until the new year though, but there is a work in progress in which I have added the yokes and throttle quadrant and rudder pedals.

For those that want to know, it is not possible for me to release a "user paintkit" for the B25 because of the way I did/do the graphics. The reasons for not allowing repaints of the aircraft is to avoid copyright issues with owners of actual aircraft and also to make sure the overall standard of all repaints is on par with the original. I am not implying that there are not many gifted re-painters who could do as good if not a better job than I have.

There are 2 new repaints being released, based on feedback from you all - and I am quite prepared to do repaints if there is a need for it.

I also have a 3rd re-paint planned - but I will wait to see what you all say about what that should be once the new repaints are released.

Regards

Steve

Cazzie
December 18th, 2009, 03:08
I have the wonderful thing in FS9 and FSX and there are few I do that to. It is a winner in every sense of the word except not having a Paint Kit to do other markings. On my back with two thumbs and 10 toes up for this one Roy, it is exceptional.

Caz

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/b25_5-1.jpg

dharris
December 18th, 2009, 05:29

expat

Roy also did the CAF "Yellow Rose" package RCS B-25J Yellow Rose for FSX
// Created by Roy Chaffin and Steve Wayne of RCS Panels - Email:- roy@roychaffin.com
// Website :- http://www.roychaffin.co.uk
// Copyrighted to RCS Panels 2008

audixaudix
December 18th, 2009, 07:24
I have the wonderful thing in FS9 and FSX and there are few I do that to. It is a winner in every sense of the word except not having a Paint Kit to do other markings. On my back with two thumbs and 10 toes up for this one Roy, it is exceptional.

Caz

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/b25_5-1.jpg

Thanks Caz, much appreciated.

As for the paintkits - I tried to do a paintkit so that we could make it available for public use, but it was just not possible. At present, just for the bits that needed changing for a new paint scheme, there are 23 separate files and they total 1.01 GB in size.

I use an ancient program called Image Composer for doing the bulk of my gprahics work in. It is by Microsoft and was discontinued back on the dark ages. The only place I have even seen that software is on the old Miscrosoft Frontpage 98 CD.

The problem is, the methods I use in Image Composer to do rivets and panel lines is something I have not yet been able to figure out how to do in any the other popular graphics software like Paintshop Pro, Photoshop or CorelDraw.

So, last year, whilst I was working on the inital release version of the FS-X freeware B25, attempted to change the way I did thnigs in order to make make a 'public' paintkit for the B25. It however did not work in all colour schemes and the new way of doing things still required extensive fiddling in order to get the end result looking anywhere realistic, hence we scrapped the idea of a public paintkit.

If you are interested in fiddling with some stuff in your particular graphics program, the way I do the panel lines for example is make them as 2 separate layers - one for each 'type' of panel line i.e. light and dark. I do the same for my rivets- top/bottom (which is also light/dark)

I then transfer onto both the l;igts/dark panel line layers the colours of the main body on which I want to put the panel lines. The panel lines then obviously become invisible.

I then decrease the brightness/contrast of the dark panel line and then increase the same for the light panel lines.

What this does is intead of having a solid black or soild white (or light colour) panel line going through white/grey/brown sections on the body of the aircraft, - you now have a dark white, dark grey and dark brown panel line - perfectly in ratio/proportion to the colour (oops ..color) through which the panel line runs. This is what it looks like in real life.

Anyway - I hope this gives you an idea of the technical reasons why we have not released a public paint kit.

Kindest Regards

Steve Wayne

dharris
December 18th, 2009, 07:32
Thank you for you explanation of the paintkit. Now I will go shoot myself, with this much infomation my brain is now fried. Thank you and Roy for the great aircraft, a truely fine representation of the B-25.

audixaudix
December 18th, 2009, 08:28
Thank you for you explanation of the paintkit. Now I will go shoot myself, with this much infomation my brain is now fried. Thank you and Roy for the great aircraft, a truely fine representation of the B-25.
:-))

OK. here is a non technical explanation. I have included two different graphics of the port nose section of the Yellow Rose.

The first graphic was whilst i was still getting all of the different components and shapes of the campo scheme in the right place (and right shape). This was right in the beginning stages of doing the Rose. All the colours are "flat" and by that I mean they are a single colour, the entire section. All the rivets and panel lines are also either black or white.

The second grpahic is taken directly from the final version of Rose as released to the public.

the differences are night/day - but it is the same base graphic. I have completed the panel lines/rivets as explained above, created gradients for the different colours (green/blue/pinky brown) and then added some "dirt" using the airbrush and then added noise to each component. On the back of that (when loaded in FS) is the alpha channel which gives the amount of refelctivity.

Hope this is helpful

Kindest Regards

Steve Wayne

expat
December 18th, 2009, 09:00
Roy also did the CAF "Yellow Rose" package RCS B-25J Yellow Rose for FSX

Spotted that one and would love to have but looks to me it's only by means of $25 payware. Is there a freeware version of just the paint that fits the freeware Mitchell?

audixaudix
December 18th, 2009, 09:09
Spotted that one and would love to have but looks to me it's only by means of $25 payware. Is there a freeware version of just the paint that fits the freeware Mitchell?

No. there are no freeware versions of the Yellow Rose. It is only available from the Yellow Rose people directly and cannot be obtained anywhere else - including from us (RCS Panels). We are not involved with the sales and all proceeds from the sale of CD's go directly to them, and then used to help keep the Rose airworthy. This is why it it is a payware product- to raise funds to keep the real aircraft flying

Regards

Steve

dharris
December 19th, 2009, 06:03
And as any project that tries to keep the old aircraft airworthy, it is more than just getting the payware version, it is helping out a piece of history. Well done Steve.