PDA

View Full Version : Water found on the moon!

Craig Taylor
November 13th, 2009, 20:13
I'm surprised no one else has posted this yet. Here's a link to the AP news story.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g_WHHFPrQjvdnQhVIvx5o9a-v66AD9BV10180

Lionheart
November 13th, 2009, 20:18
Pretty cool news,

Thanks for the heads up Craig.

From water, we can have oxygen..

Bill

patsytwo
November 13th, 2009, 20:34
you can electrolytically split off hydrogen. Both the hydrogen and oxygen can be compressed into liquid form - and with the two, you have rocket fuel. Zoom, zoom!:pop4:

OBIO
November 13th, 2009, 20:54
Yippie...there's water on the moon. Won't be long before some egghead finds a way to bottle it and make a fortune off it. Moon Water...a taste that is out of this world.

I have a lot of other comments about the discovery of water on the moon, but they are all pretty political...and all negatively so.....so I will keep them to my self.

OBIO

Kiwikat
November 13th, 2009, 22:04
Yippie...there's water on the moon. Won't be long before some egghead finds a way to bottle it and make a fortune off it. Moon Water...a taste that is out of this world.

LMAO, leave it to you to come up with something that. :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Bjoern
November 14th, 2009, 10:22
Let's go do some terraforming. I want to see and make fun of overweight, badly dressed tourists posing right next to Eagle, Intrepid and all the other descend stages left there. :d

Dain Arns
November 14th, 2009, 11:37
It'll never happen. There is already a "Friends Of The Moon" ecological movement after the recent LCROSS "bombing" mission. I'm sure down the road they will want to protect the ecological and historical nature of the Moon. Mining for water will have to be done by permit, with an ecological impact study done first, yadda yadda yadda...

http://www.space.com/news/091106-lcross-moon-crash-protests.html

PRB
November 14th, 2009, 12:00
Eggheads??!! Wow. A lot of bright, talented, and people have been working on that mission and others, over the past decade, trying to answer a question that has huge implications for the future exploration of the solar system, for if there’s water on the moon, the prospects for building a base that can sustain itself are much greater. And if we can build a base on the moon, the future of exploration throughout the solar system suddenly looks much brighter. You see, with water we can extract hydrogen and oxygen, nit to mention being able to drink it. Water is heavy, see, if we don’t have to take our water supply with us… Oh what's the use? The best we can say, I guess, is that they are just a bunch of eggheads and idiots with pocket protectors. Heck, they probably read books too. Morons. Good at math too, I’ll bet. Dweebs!

Cazzie
November 14th, 2009, 12:18

I have a lot of other comments about the discovery of water on the moon, but they are all pretty political...and all negatively so.....so I will keep them to my self.

OBIO

I don't care as long as they ferment it first! :icon29:

Caz

Lionheart
November 14th, 2009, 12:21
Eggheads??!! Wow. A lot of bright, talented, and people have been working on that mission and others, over the past decade, trying to answer a question that has huge implications for the future exploration of the solar system, for if there’s water on the moon, the prospects for building a base that can sustain itself are much greater. And if we can build a base on the moon, the future of exploration throughout the solar system suddenly looks much brighter. You see, with water we can extract hydrogen and oxygen, nit to mention being able to drink it. Water is heavy, see, if we don’t have to take our water supply with us… Oh what's the use? The best we can say, I guess, is that they are just a bunch of eggheads and idiots with pocket protectors. Heck, they probably read books too. Morons. Good at math too, I’ll bet. Dweebs!

LOLOLOLOL......

Sounds like PRB is one of THEM!!!!!! lololol...

This is awesome news..

That would be cool if the Lunar base could be self supporting.. I hadnt thought of a self supported base before. I think you would still need food though, unless the base had a section that grew things like veggies and all, hydroponics.. You would also need Internet and Cable.. Thats a must..

.... just kidding. :d

GT182
November 14th, 2009, 15:45
Won't be long before some egghead finds a way to bottle it and make a fortune off it. Moon Water...a taste that is out of this world.

OBIO

I suggest you copyright that phrase before someone else does. It could make you some money someday. ;)

Bjoern
November 15th, 2009, 02:07
It'll never happen. There is already a "Friends Of The Moon" ecological movement after the recent LCROSS "bombing" mission. I'm sure down the road they will want to protect the ecological and historical nature of the Moon. Mining for water will have to be done by permit, with an ecological impact study done first, yadda yadda yadda...

http://www.space.com/news/091106-lcross-moon-crash-protests.html

Oh come on, the moon is nothing but dust, water and rocks. And mostly grey. Why not making it a bit greener?

(No offense to you up there. You're doing a tremendous job with those tides and insomniacs and stuff!)

cheezyflier
November 15th, 2009, 06:29
(No offense to you up there. You're doing a tremendous job with those tides and insomniacs and stuff!)

and let's not leave out the lunatics :icon_lol:

Bjoern
November 15th, 2009, 09:14
and let's not leave out the lunatics :icon_lol:

:icon_lol::icon_lol: :ernae:

PRB
November 15th, 2009, 09:51
We should like, go find all the people who worked on that project and like, give them all wedgies. And stuff. That would be so awesome! I’d be like, ROTFLing for days. Come on! :)