PDA

View Full Version : Mad as hell about World Series game 5

Lazerbrainz2k3
October 27th, 2008, 20:14
This is b.s. Fine, the game had to be delayed because of the rain, I get that. But the commissioner waited and waited until there was a tie game to do it, letting play continue well after conditions were bad enough to warrant a suspension.

So now, Tampa not only has tied, but they will also likely have perfect conditions for their defense, something Cole Hamels and the Phillies didn't have playing that last half inning in crap. Does anyone really think that, barring an F5 tornado touching down in the stadium, the game would have been suspended had the Phillies kept their lead through the 6th, 7th, even 8th inning?

"New rule" (read: MLB commissioner covering his butt) be d_mned. This game should be reverted to to top of the 6th - or even the top of the 5th, it was that miserable for that long - and both teams should have an equal opportunity to play under more ideal field conditions. If that means the Phillies have a lead, tough - they earned it, and did so without having the other team put at any more of a disadvantage than they had.

On top of everything else, the Phils need to win now just to spit in both eyes of the commissioner for screwing them over for ratings and so people don't whine at him.

EasyEd
October 27th, 2008, 20:17
Hey All,

Didn't see any of it and have quit watching after the blatant favoritism shown the Phillies by the umps. What chance does TB really have?

-Ed-

MyassisDragon
October 27th, 2008, 20:55
Lazerbrainz2k3, I am in total agreement with your post! What a mess. Once more MLB comes up small. But here's the thing, no matter what obstacle put in front of this edition of Phillies, they will prevail.

The wine of victory is always sweeter when aged in the oaken casks of adversity.

Go Phillies!

Lazerbrainz2k3
October 27th, 2008, 21:25
Hey All,

Didn't see any of it and have quit watching after the blatant favoritism shown the Phillies by the umps. What chance does TB really have?

-Ed-

The umps have been bad all series, but it cut both ways. Last night the safe at third by Howard (?) was clearly a bad call, but no worse than the safe call at first base the night before after Jamie Moyers' incredibly athletic (especially for an "old guy") flip into Howard's bare hand.

At home the calls have been wildly inconsistant (probably because the umps are too busy trying to outdo each other with over-the-top strike calls - they know they're on TV), but it's gone against both sides there, too.

Cheer up. The Fox announcers and now the MLB commissioner have the Ray's backs. That's something.

jbtate
October 27th, 2008, 22:17
I remember playing grabbass kid baseball in fields and yards that were way too small for the dynamics to make sense.
Had a "day to remember" when us kids hopped the fence at the semi-pro field at the local park and played a game ...
Hit a home run; caught a flat out running save in left field.
I'm a football fan these days; though ...
Of and of ...
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/index-flash.html
Bruce

Dain Arns
October 28th, 2008, 04:31
Hey All,

-Ed-

Actually Ed, I stopped watching much earlier than that, oh around about 1994... :mad:

Snuffy
October 28th, 2008, 04:46
Actually Ed, I stopped watching much earlier than that, oh around about 1994... :mad:

And I've stopped watching longer than that ...

The last world series I remember watching, they let the school go to the gym where they had 8 or 10 black and white tv boxes set up for students to congregate around ...

I believe it was 1968. :isadizzy: :redf:

Wiens
October 28th, 2008, 09:51
The last World Series, or any baseball game for that matter, was the 1985 series won by the Kansas City Royals. Don't think either one will happen again soon!!........

Kevin :d

Cazzie
October 28th, 2008, 12:26
Should have been called before regulation time and replayed in its entirety. Wonder if they'll get it in tonight? :banghead:

Caz

Trans_23
October 28th, 2008, 14:14
I am surprised baseball still has fans considering how the hierarchy has tried best they can to screw it up. If they can't do it the players have a go at it.

EasyEd
October 28th, 2008, 17:17
Hey All,

The umps have been bad all series, but it cut both ways. Last night the safe at third by Howard (?) was clearly a bad call, but no worse than the safe call at first base the night before after Jamie Moyers' incredibly athletic (especially for an "old guy") flip into Howard's bare hand.

At home the calls have been wildly inconsistant (probably because the umps are too busy trying to outdo each other with over-the-top strike calls - they know they're on TV), but it's gone against both sides there, too.

I don't think the bad calls against the Phillies have come at anywhere even vaguely close to the absolutely critical moments the calls have gone against the Rays. The flip from the pitcher to first- what a difference an out would have made - likewise the blown call on getting the guy in the first inning going back to third - huge difference between bases loaded one out (IIRC) and men on first and second two out. The magnitude of the calls I've seen has been incredibly one-sided.

-Ed-

EgoR64
October 28th, 2008, 18:07
:wavey:

Looks like they will resume on Wednesday Night, Pick up in the Bottom of the 6th, everthing like it was when they suspended it. Good thing Winds be a howling tonight.

Regardless, Always fun watching the World Series !!

Many Cheers, Baseball Fans !!

Lazerbrainz2k3
October 28th, 2008, 19:08
I don't think the bad calls against the Phillies have come at anywhere even vaguely close to the absolutely critical moments the calls have gone against the Rays. The flip from the pitcher to first- what a difference an out would have made - likewise the blown call on getting the guy in the first inning going back to third - huge difference between bases loaded one out (IIRC) and men on first and second two out. The magnitude of the calls I've seen has been incredibly one-sided.

The Phils are up 3 games to 1, Ed. Virtually every blown call against the Rays probably has someone saying "if it wasn't for that play, they could have won..." More critical they may be, but not more common or outrageous. A team being down in a series doesn't grant them special exemption from scrutiny of bad calls - a bad call is a bad call. If the Series was tied, I'm sure the scrutiny and criticism would be fairly equal in terms of who is getting favored. And the Phillies didn't win last game 10-2 or lead the series 3-1 just - or even significantly, it can be argued - because of bad calls, nor are the Rays down because of them.

@ Trans... you're surprised baseball still has fans? You need to spend more time in Philly, my friend. :)

EasyEd
October 28th, 2008, 19:40
Hey All,

Laz you cannot assume a game would have come out the same irrespective of bad calls. The intangibles are too great - especially in the first inning. Had that runner been out who is to say the pitcher wouldn't have settled down and pitched a no hitter the rest of the night? Instead he was likely very disappointed and eventually walked in the first run in a world series game which made him and the team worse and set in motion a 10 to 2 loss. Nor can you assume that the importance of bad calls evens out. I don't even watch much baseball but I never like to see championships of any kind so heavily influenced by bad officiating. It will be remembered through history as well it should.

-Ed-

srgalahad
October 29th, 2008, 14:27
Point is that Selig wanted SO badly to let the Phillies fans see the Series won at home and probably to avoid what he now has (a rescheduled game) that he risked injuring players and continuing a farce for millions of warm, dry TV viewers. "We've never had a rained-out game in the World Series" ... well once they probably said "we've never had a perfect game pitched in the World Series -- life goes on, get with it Bud!

If Someone had been seriously injured by slipping on the swamp would that have affected the outcome of the series?? Dang right it would! so why not treat it like real baseball and just cal the game before 5 1/2 and start with an even playing field instead of a potential 3 inning joke -- like THAT is going to help ratings and leave a good taste :barf:

As for: "you're surprised baseball still has fans? You need to spend more time in Philly," -- I guess if the choice is Eagles, Flyers or Phillies -- I'd probably go for baseball too :d

Rob

Trans_23
October 29th, 2008, 15:18
@ Trans... you're surprised baseball still has fans? You need to spend more time in Philly, my friend. :)

Sorry! I was assuming that every baseball city had to wait almost a century to win a series like Chicago has. Good thing the Sox are in Chicago or I would have had to leave out the "almost" in the last sentence. Bwhahahaha! :costumes: Ahhh, another year of ribbing the Cub fans. Don't you all worry though. Next year the Cubs will win it all! :icon_lol:

jmig
October 29th, 2008, 15:22
There is a baseball game on tonight? I thought it had been replaced with an infomercial?

srgalahad
October 30th, 2008, 14:13
There is a baseball game on tonight? I thought it had been replaced with an infomercial?

It's Bud Selig's new made-for-TV baseball ... half an hour of talking heads followed by a 45 minute (plus commercials) 2.5 inning World Series.

Yeah.. they made sure Phillies fans got to see the win at home... and spared Selig the dishonour of having the first Series rain-out

BTW, congrats Phillies! If it wasn't for Seattle, the Cubs and the Jays, I'd cheer for you!

Rob

GT182
October 30th, 2008, 17:34
I don't care or keep track. Last World Series I watched and enjoyed was the only one the Mets won. Now that's a long time ago. Now baseball is just a money game... and they get none of my money.