PDA

View Full Version : Borderline OT: Question for NASA people.

PRB
October 27th, 2008, 18:46
That tracked vehicle that moves the Space Shuttle to the launch pad, the “crawler”. Does it stay there, under the ship, during launch? Or is the giant platform upon which sits the Space ship, simply being carried by the crawler vehicle, and then set in place? If the latter, there would have to be some way for the crawler to get out from under the platform and drive away. Watched on NASA TV today the video of the transfer from one launch pad to the other of the Endeavor. It looked as though that giant platform was raised up off some huge pins before being toted off by the crawler. Surely the tracked thing doesn’t sit there under the ship during launch, but I’ve never seen photo or video of the tracked thing without the platform on top.

Piglet
October 27th, 2008, 18:51
The "crawler" slides under the launch pad structure. Then jackpads are raised, and the whole shebang starts crawling, at 1MPH!
When it gets to the launchpad, jackpads are lowered, and the crawler backs out back to the VAB, or when I went there, off to the side nearby.

ColoKent
October 27th, 2008, 18:52
....the mobile launcher deposits the vehicle on one of two Apollo-era pads (39A and 39B), then is moved back to the Vertical Assembly Building (VAB).

BTW...this is the wrong thread to be discussing this...not trying to be nasty, just trying to make sure we all use the correct category forums.

Cheers,

Kent :mixedsmi:

N2056
October 27th, 2008, 18:55
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/kGtFwBRcX8x/Space+Shuttle+Endeavour+Rolls+Out+Launch+Pad

quantumleap
October 27th, 2008, 18:57
I’ve never seen photo or video of the tracked thing without the platform on top.

Try this one

http://www.nasaimages.org/luna/servlet/detail/nasaNAS~6~6~49140~152983:KENNEDY-SPACE-CENTER,-FLA----Crawle (http://www.nasaimages.org/luna/servlet/detail/nasaNAS%7E6%7E6%7E49140%7E152983:KENNEDY-SPACE-CENTER,-FLA----Crawle)

Jeff

PRB
October 27th, 2008, 19:41
Wow, thanks all. Good stuff.

Hey look, a Space Shuttle, and for FSX even. Imagine that... :d

Lionheart
October 27th, 2008, 20:11
Pretty cool PRB!

How long does it take to de-orbit to a stopped landing? (or is this the right forum). :d

quantumleap
October 27th, 2008, 20:40
It's about 62 mins from start of deorbit burn to wheel stop.

Jeff

PRB
October 28th, 2008, 17:13
Thanks, Jeff. I didn’t know how long it took, precisely, but I did manage to watch the whole event unfold on the NASA channel once, and that’s about how long it was from de-orbit burn to landing. The view from the HUD camera on final is astonishing. The approach angle is crazy!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The Space Shuttle is by Bruce Fitzgerald (AVSIM: bsg_shuttle.zip). He’s also done a scenery file for FSX (iss_kpam.zip) which places the ISS "over" Tyndall AFB at an altitude of 175 miles. I’ll have to try that!

harleyman
October 28th, 2008, 19:26
....the mobile launcher deposits the vehicle on one of two Apollo-era pads (39A and 39B), then is moved back to the Vertical Assembly Building (VAB).

BTW...this is the wrong thread to be discussing this...not trying to be nasty, just trying to make sure we all use the correct category forums.

Cheers,

Kent :mixedsmi:

I also realized it was the wrong forum....So I'll say nothing about it here...

PRB
October 28th, 2008, 19:43
Oh for the love of ... :censored:

Hence the thread title, mayhap?

Jeez some of you people need to lighten up.

Where, pray tell, is the "Nasa Space Shuttle Crawler Vehicle Disscussions" forum?

God almighty.

:banghead:

quantumleap
October 28th, 2008, 19:44
The approach angle is crazy!
Yes, the glideslope from around 13000 ft down to 2000 ft is around 22 degrees!

Jeff

harleyman
October 28th, 2008, 19:47
Oh for the love of ... :censored:

Hence the thread title, mayhap?

Jeez some of you people need to lighten up.

Where, pray tell, is the "Nasa Space Shuttle Crawler Vehicle Disscussions" forum?

God almighty.

Hey...If you're refering to me I was only being scarcastic.......But omitted the laughing man as to not get singled out as a trouble maker...LOL Sorry it came across to you wrong.... I agree with you totally...

PRB
October 28th, 2008, 19:51
Hey...If you're refering to me I was only being scarcastic.......But omitted the laughing man as to not get singled out as a trouble maker...LOL Sorry it came across to you wrong.... I agree with you totally...

Sorry harleyman. Reading between the lines isn't an exact science, I guess... :ernae:

harleyman
October 28th, 2008, 19:54
Sorry harleyman. Reading between the lines isn't an exact science, I guess... :ernae:
Its all fine...I wondered if my post was going to be acceptable..I guess it was more misunderstood than understood...

I have a knack for that at times....LOl

Lionheart
October 28th, 2008, 21:47
Sorry, and not to stray off topic, but shouldnt this be in the space ships forum?

Sorry...

And now for a word from our sponsor, Lamborghini, where smiles touch your ears, G-forces make your eyes sunken, and insurance payments remind you of house payments.....

And now back to our Post master;

Paul,

I was just curious.. Why is your 'space ship' in FS? Shouldnt it be in a space sim? Did you get permission to put that model in FS? Isnt this a bit OFS?

Frank.. No, Paul.. nope.. um.. k.. Kenny! yeahh... :d

Dain Arns
October 29th, 2008, 14:42
And now....

rxfzm9dfqBw

(I figure if this topic is wrong for this forum, then this video is too) :costumes:

PRB
October 29th, 2008, 18:07
Well, if I’m going to be illegal, I may as well go all the way. This ought to get me into heap-big trouble. I see 1), hijacking of a thread, but it’s my thread so that should be a mitigating factor, and 2), contributing to the malignancy of a pre-existing illegal thread. And maybe 3), fanning the flames of controversy surrounding the rumors that a Star Fleet “wessell” visited Earth during the 1960s…

Lionheart
October 29th, 2008, 19:41
Nicely done Reliant Paul!

Great screenshots..

:ernae: :applause: :ernae:

But shouldnt the screenshots be in the Screenshot forum center, door 224, level 4, subsection 8?

(I love that particular model of starship. I have it in the micro size scale models that were available years ago. Have it here in my desk drawer). :d

Bill
<---- not in the right forum, nor am I in the right state of mind lately.. :kilroy: