PDA

View Full Version : We are getting flooded out with this storm

hey_moe
November 12th, 2009, 01:07
Hey TARPSBird, I know you are over at Norfolk. Looks like they have already closed the downtown tunnel due to flood waters. Poquoson is just about underwater, and parts of Langley Field under also.They say today is suppose to be worse. Over 16000 out of power and that number is growing fast. With the ground already flooded and 60 MPH winds I thing we are headed to another mess. All the low areas here in Newport News and Hampton are already under water and they are letting the public park there cars and trucks at upper level garages, which is a first.All the schools over here are closing so the public will have shelter.My generator has been running wide open since last night.At least this time the Governor has already declared a state of emergency.They said this morning 5:00am is high tide.Makes ya wonder how much deeper it can get...Mike

Cazzie
November 12th, 2009, 02:30
Ain't no better inland Moe.

Been pumping water since last night. Imagine that, a tropical storm after the hurricane season is over. The only fortune is that our winds have been lighter, 35 with gusts to 40 and so far, tap wood, the power is still up.

Muddy Caz

hey_moe
November 12th, 2009, 02:39
Caz, you lucky....we are surround by water...they have already issued a warning that no wind surfers are allowed on the areas that are under water. Last night on some of the main roads that were under water the wind surfers were flying...kids...lol.Do you have white caps on the roads yet. I also noticed in some areas now they are starting to issue mandatory for people to leave the area in low areas...I think it's a tad bit late for that.

Chacha
November 12th, 2009, 02:51
Careful out there Mike and Caz..... :engel016:

Here in Florida, we have isolated rain.... At 59F and the dark clouds are there as early as 6:30am.... I wonder if the sun will show up today! :bump:

txnetcop
November 12th, 2009, 02:52
Hey Moe I was just getting ready to ask you what God asked Noah...how long can you tread water? Build an Ark!
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

hey_moe
November 12th, 2009, 03:00
LMAO Ted.....it really cracks me up to see the ding-bats in small cars try and drive through 5 to 7 foot deep water in some of the roadways. Then they get stuck and dial 911. I guess ya can't fix stupid:173go1:.

Snuffy
November 12th, 2009, 03:01
Stupid should be painful in a physical way ... :bump:

txnetcop
November 12th, 2009, 03:09
I would believe it Mike. I used to help a tow-truck driver during storms for extra money. You just would not believe the things people try to do in a pouring rain in flat country. Life is extra tough when you're stupid!
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

JoeW
November 12th, 2009, 03:10
Careful out there Mike and Caz..... :engel016:

Here in Florida, we have isolated rain.... At 59F and the dark clouds are there as early as 6:30am.... I wonder if the sun will show up today! :bump:

I don't think so, Chacha. We might get some sun tomorrow. It's a fine mist down here this morning. But we need it.
The Snowbirds are coming in in their "migration" .
:running::running:

TARPSBird
November 12th, 2009, 14:20
Mike, it was scary driving to work this AM. Took the interstate and the wind blew me all over the place. Could've used a few cinder blocks in the back bed of my little Dodge Dakota. :icon_lol: Not as bad coming about an hour ago, less rain but still strong wind gusts. Lotsa flooding throughout Norfolk and Virginia Beach.
Any of you folks want to fly with real-world weather tonight/tomorrow and have a challenge come visit us here in Tidewater. Fly into NAS Norfolk (KNGU), Norfolk International (KORF), NAS Oceana (KNTU), or Langley AFB (KLFI). Fasten yer seatbelts, it'll be a bumpy ride.

GT182
November 12th, 2009, 15:23
Pouring rain and high winds up here too Mike. Out along the coast is almost as bad as where you are. At least we're a few feet above sea level... but not much.

Ted.... with all this rain during the past few weeks, I think we're all going to need an Arc.

:rolleyes: Riiiight. What's a cubit?

Kofschip
November 12th, 2009, 15:40
Went to the beach this afternoon (Sandy Hook National Park). It was pretty wild and at the Fishing Beach the water went onto the road, but I have seen it worse.

hey_moe
November 12th, 2009, 16:10
I worked over in the Suffolk area today. What a freaking nightmare. Every time I tried to drive down one of those country roads I would almost get to the customers house and they had the road closed. It was so badly flooded in some areas I lost the point of reference on the roadway. There has been one death. A 26 year old mother tried to pass a 18 wheeler on a narrow road that was flooded, lost control and hit a on coming 18 wheeler. Her three kids are in intensive care. Breaks my heart hear something like this.Tarpbird, I hear Gint caught hell today along with most of Norfolk.Right now we already have over 170000 customers without power and Vepco already informed us they are calling it quits due to high winds and heavy rains...do ya blame them. Tarpbird, this is the first time in my life time I have ever seen them close every bridge except for the MM and HRBT. It is also the first time I have ever seen the close the JRB all day. I guess after they found that man still in his car a quarter mile from the end of bridge dead four days later they didn't want to see that happen again.

Cazzie
November 12th, 2009, 16:51
I worked over in the Suffolk area today. What a freaking nightmare. Every time I tried to drive down one of those country roads I would also get to the customers house and they had the road closed. It was so badly flooded in some areas I lost the point of reference on the roadway. There has been one death. A 26 year old mother tried to pass a 18 wheeler on a narrow road that was flooded, lost control and hit a on coming 18 wheeler. Her three kids are in intensive care. Breaks my heart hear something like this.Tarpbird, I hear Gint caught hell today along with most of Norfolk.Right now we already have over 170000 customers without power and Vepco already informed us they are calling it quits due to high winds and heavy rains...do ya blame them. Tarpbird, this is the first time in my life time I have every seen them close every bridge except for the MM and HRBT. It is also the first time I have ever seen the close the JRB all day. I guess after they found that man still in his car a quarter mile from the end of bridge dead four days later they didn't want to see that happen again.

That's what happens when you settle in a swamp! Suffolk, I mean. Just saw some shots from Suffolk, bad looking. Schools are out here tomorrow, something like 20 + bridges on rural roads in the county are under water, 3 have washed away.

Just got in from Winston-Salem, tough drive down and back. Roanoke got it worse than us too Mike, 9-in. of rain, whew. Our half-marathon, scheduled for Saturday on the Riverwalk Trail is history, it is way under water and will still be Saturday morning, as we are to receive rain squalls throughout the night. Still have power, tap wood, still pumping water, but none has made it into my living space as yet.

You folks on the coast further north, take caution and get ready. Ida has proved to be a real bee-atch!

Caz

Panther_99FS
November 12th, 2009, 17:16
Yikes!
Hope things are improving now Mike...

GT182
November 12th, 2009, 17:21
Thing is Ida has turned into a Noreaster up here. I'd say she's no longer a tropical storm, just a plain 'ol bee-atch. ;)

hey_moe
November 13th, 2009, 01:20
Caz I didn't realize you guys got hammered so bad. Hope you and the family are ok. Gov. Kane is suppose to be here tomorrow to look at the damage.....big deal huh.Last night was the strongest winds I have seen in a while. With high tide at 5 am this morning they have closed some of the bridges again. Ya wanna here something really stupid. Yesterday with all this mess Newport News schools had class's. I don't know who decided to close all the schools at 3 yesterday but that was coming up on the worse part of the storm. Today I noticed they are closing all schools in Newport News....now that the storm has passed. These ding bats are suppose to be college educated.

Cazzie
November 13th, 2009, 02:10
Caz I didn't realize you guys got hammered so bad. Hope you and the family are ok. Gov. Kane is suppose to be here tomorrow to look at the damage.....big deal huh.Last night was the strongest winds I have seen in a while. With high tide at 5 am this morning they have closed some of the bridges again. Ya wanna here something really stupid. Yesterday with all this mess Newport News schools had class's. I don't know who decided to close all the schools at 3 yesterday but that was coming up on the worse part of the storm. Today I noticed they are closing all schools in Newport News....now that the storm has passed. These ding bats are suppose to be college educated.

Ya says it all in da last sentence. :icon_lol:

Still a drizzle, still wind gusts up to 35, but I still got power and I am still dry. Some roof seepage, which is to be expected with this much rain. Need a metal roof over the shallow slope of the roof anyhow, told the wife that. I guess we're somewhere between 6 and 7 inches of rain overall.

Dan River's crest is 17-ft., it reached 23-ft last night and is to rise to 26 plus ft. today after all the water from the rain in the highlands makes it downstream. South Boston will be more underwater than us by tomorrow, they really receive a bruising because they are so near the Buggs Island Reservoir.

Good news side, Reidsville High School's playoff game is still on for tonight against Beddingfield High School of Wilson, NC. I need some football. :jump:

Caz