PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear your seatbelt?

Willy
November 10th, 2009, 22:10
My wife's 19 year old cousin is being buried tomorrow. Saturday night he was driving down a country road in his pickup, rolled it and was thrown out of the truck when they think he tried to dodge a deer. They didn't find him until about 9am Sunday morning and he was already gone by then.

I was talking to his brother at the viewing tonight and found out that he never would wear a seatbelt. If he had we wouldn't be having his funeral in the morning. I've worn a seatbelt ever since I was in a bad head on wreck and wasn't wearing one at the time. I was lucky to have lived through that one. I just wish more people would wear them. I hate going to unnecessary funerals.

mrogers
November 10th, 2009, 22:35
Its law in my country to wear a seatbelt at all times when driving. In spite of that, a few people still drive without putting on their seatbelts and unfortunately in some crashes reported in the local paper, the deceased occupants were found to have not been wearing their seatbelts.

So sorry to read of Mrs Willy's cousin's death, so young.

Francois
November 10th, 2009, 22:58
For more than 45 years or so already. Feel naked without it and it has long become second nature, just as turning the ignition key.

Wing_Z
November 10th, 2009, 23:03
As Mark points out, these are Law in NZ, along with crash helmets for motor cycles, and bicycles too.
There's a long list of experience at the Casualty Ward to prove they do make a difference.
And while initially these might seem a pita, as Francois says: I'd feel naked without.

FengZ
November 10th, 2009, 23:08
Sorry to hear about the loss.

I don't understand why certain people don't wear seatbelts. Are they THAT lazy? Or is it "cool" to not wear them? I don't get it. Maybe these people just don't understand the laws of physics. Or what happens when soft flesh meets hard metal or concrete.

You are inside a vehicle traveling at fast speeds while in a pretty dangerous environment. To not wear a seatbelt is just plain dumb. I even wear it when i'm in the back-seat. Feels all nakid w/out it.

-feng

Wulf190
November 10th, 2009, 23:19
I always strap in, be it in a plane, or a car. I just don't feel right if I don't have a belt on.

hey_moe
November 10th, 2009, 23:26
Willy sorry to hear about your loss.It is a law here in Va. also. It is a habit for me to wear one even it I am just moving the car out of the driveway and rotating them. I also make the passengers wear them when they are driving with me.For some reason most of the kids feel they are invisible to a car wreak and don't feel they need to wear one. The amount of loss life here in Va. supports what I am saying.

TARPSBird
November 11th, 2009, 00:17
Like Francois said, I feel naked and vulnerable when I'm not wearing my seatbelt. Any accident generates forces that can cause you to be thrown around inside your vehicle or (worst case) ejected from it. Your seatbelt can be the difference between minor injuries and death, you're crazy not to wear it.

demorier
November 11th, 2009, 00:17
It's the law here to but I always wear one....just second nature now to strap in.

Quixoticish
November 11th, 2009, 01:05
Even before it was legal over here to wear seatbelts and many cars came without rear ones my dad would always fit them to the rear of the car himself so it's always been second nature to me.

I'm quite militant about road safety these these days and have refused to drive with quite a few people since my better half was in a relatively minor car accident over a year ago now. Despite the slow speed she is still suffering from the effects physically so nothing annoys me more than people doing stupid things in cars, especially things like speeding, not wearing seatbelts and anything else that can be easily avoided.

JoeW
November 11th, 2009, 01:11
It's the law in Florida. But I installed seatbelts in my cars BEFORE they were installed by the factory. It's like a habit. I don't feel right if it's not buckled up.

wombat666
November 11th, 2009, 02:07
Condolences Willy.
Far too young to pass away.
As Den pointed out it is law in Australia, but I fitted seatbelts (actually a full harness) in my very first MG, way back in the early 60s.
Since the every car I've owned has been equipped five or six point belts.
Almost every other car I've driven has been factory fitted with 'Lap&Sash' belts.
I'm like Francois, it doesn't feel right behind the wheel without wearing them.
And I can't imagine anyone wanting to ride a bike (powered or pedalled) not wearing a helmet at least, my latest addition to safer motorcycling are some Kevlar Jeans .......... cost is not an issue IMHO.
:kilroy:
And a PS:My state government has just passed a number of new road laws effective as of now regarding 'Mobile Phone Idiots" ........... long overdue.

Cazzie
November 11th, 2009, 02:57
My condolences Willy.

What is wrong with teenagers today that they will not wear seat belts. In the last month our area has lost three teenagers to auto accidents due to the fact that none were wearing their seat belts.

I have been wearing them like a religion since they came standard in our 1963 Rambler. No only do they save your life, they can keep you from miserable injuries.

All I heard at one football game from this black man were reasons he didn't wear one, I offered the three teens as three viable reasons you do need to wear one.

Sorry Willy, this has been a soapbox for me for 46 years, wear your seat belt people.

Caz

Snuffy
November 11th, 2009, 03:16
Okay ... I'm probably the only odd man out here ... but I detest seatbelts, despite the fact that they are manditory by the laws of the land.

There is just something about that shoulder harness that subconciously makes me feel as though I'm choking ... seriously. :isadizzy:

Chacha
November 11th, 2009, 03:21
My condolences Willy.

Here in Florida, it's the law: Click it or ticket....

When my family went to Singer Island, Florida one weekend (first weekend of August). My cousin's car rolled over on I-95, four of them had seat belts on, they survived, with only minor bruises... Thank God.... :engel016:

TomSteber
November 11th, 2009, 03:22
I used to to be like that (not wearing my belt) when I was young. Then a friend of mine got into a bad accident that changed his life forever. He survived but was never the same. Reports say he would have done better or been OK had he been wearing his belt. I've been wearing my belt ever since. I mean I even put it on to move the car from one spot in a parking lot to another! It's a habit I've had now for the last 15 yrs.

Cratermaker
November 11th, 2009, 03:40
I knew a girl who didn't wear her seat belt because the shoulder harness messed up her hair!

As some one mentioned earlier: if the vehicle has belts, I'm putting them on. Here in TX, it is mandatory in all seating locations now. I used to insist that people in the back that rode in my car wore them too before it was the law. Got some dirty looks, but didn't care. I didn't want anyone flying in to the front seat in an accident. You choose not to wear them in the back, you are risking injury or death to the person sitting in front of you and that's just lame.

Navy Chief
November 11th, 2009, 03:51
Always.

Nc

Brian_Gladden
November 11th, 2009, 04:02
Spend some time like I did working on an ambulance and you will quickly appreciate the benefits of seat belt use.

I started wearing my belt in High School, before it was the law. I was on the Vol. Fire Department in HS and one night we were called out to a wreck late one Friday night/Saturday morning. I recognized the truck from seeing it in the school parking lot but due to the driver's facial injuries from not wearing a seat belt. I didn't know it was a good friend of mine until we got back to the station.

Started wearing my belt from that moment on.

Brian

Matt Wynn
November 11th, 2009, 04:10
my condolences willy, seatbelts do save lives, i'm one of the dangerous few who ride a bike... no belt, but when i rarely drive it's second nature, i've lost a friend to the not wearing seatbelt issue, so it's always in the forefront of my mind if i drive and always first thing i do before i even start the engine...

again heartfelt condolences...

TeaSea
November 11th, 2009, 04:43
Very sad Willy....my condolences.

I have always worn seatbelts, and like a previous post, I feel naked without them. I always wore a helmet when I rode my Harley as well. And I didn't mind poking fun at bikers who didn't. I refer to them as "Organ Donors".

As a retired military guy I've seen what head injuries look like, and what happens to passengers in jeeps when they flip. I've managed to convey this to my children, something of which I'm quite proud.

Safety equipment is safety equipment. It's there for a reason.

Henry
November 11th, 2009, 05:58
i always wear one
could not drive without one
its like preparation to drive
my wife never wears one
even when driving
i could disable the ring that goes off
when she is driving but
i refuse too
stubborn as a mule
sorry to hear of your loss Willy
H

brad kaste
November 11th, 2009, 06:02
I got side swiped by another car back in the early 70's. Neither I or my passenger were wearing seat belts. Even though the Chevy Biscayne had them installed. I wasn't hurt. She was. Her head cracked the windshield of the car. Besides severe trauma for her,.....I got involved in a lawsuit through her attorney. A real 'gold digger' situation.
Lesson Learned: I then started to use a seat belt way before it became the law in Illinois. Plus,...I always make sure occupants in my car are belted up before the vehicle moves one inch.

kilo delta
November 11th, 2009, 06:17
I've been in 4 car wrecks...in three of those I wasn't wearing a seatbelt and came out completely unscathed and the final wreck was a head on smash at 60mph into another car also travelling at 60mph. I was wearing a seatbelt in that crash and wouldn't be here today if it weren't for the belt,airbags and side impact bars. Funny thing was that the only injury that I suffered was slight bruising of my chest from where the seatbelt gripped me.

Tako_Kichi
November 11th, 2009, 06:36
Like most of the others here I always wear my belt and feel uncomfortable without it. Likewise for crash helmets on a motorcycle.

SabreAce
November 11th, 2009, 06:44
I refuse to put my car into gear unless I've confirmed that everyone in there has a seatbelt on. It's led to a couple of times where I've sat in the driveway for a few minutes till a couple of my more foolish friends caught on and put them on.

Far better to tease them about being braindead in the foolish sense than to visit them when they are literally braindead in a hospital.

EasyEd
November 11th, 2009, 07:46
Hey All,

Sorry to hear that Willy.

I must admit I'm an 95%er - I wear them the vast majority of the time but for the odd trips to the grocery store or "pop" store two miles or so from the house I often don't. Speed limit is a whole 30mph so I'm not too concerned. Seems we got along for half the evolution of the car without them though they are I think a must for serious traveling.

Now don't get me started on turn signals or the proper location of the dimmer switch!

-Ed-

Odie
November 11th, 2009, 08:29
Sorry to hear of your loss, Willy....

I wear mine 100% of the time. It's the law here in IL and I figure if there's ever a time I don't wear them, THAT will be the time they decide to make an example out of the next person they stop ! One of things that they do here about twice a year is publicly announce that certain weekends will be a "seat belt enforcement" weekend where they will be doing specific checkpoints to check for seat belt use.

A friend of mine here absolutely refuses to wear them. Never did, never will according to him.

rayrey10
November 11th, 2009, 09:08
Willy, my condolences to you and your family. I grew up an "Army brat" in Germany and it was mandatory to wear seat belts there so when we came back to the states my father still made us wear it. I remember that you had to be 12 years old to ride in the front seat of a car, so I never rode in the front seat of a car in Germany.

n4gix
November 11th, 2009, 11:51
Here in TX, it is mandatory in all seating locations now.

Years ago when I moved from Florida to Kingsville, TX, I had to install seatbelts in an old pickup I purchased for my telecommunications business after I arrived.

Much to my surprise, when I reviewed the relevant TX law, I discovered that while seat belts were mandatory for all vehicles, irrespective of age, there was absolutely no such requirement for seats! How odd is that? :isadizzy:

I too am quite "religious" in my use of seatbelts. It's a completely automatic reaction now. :ernae:

TeaSea
November 11th, 2009, 12:47
I always use seats. Feel naked without them....

Although I stick to the seats when I am naked on them.

GT182
November 11th, 2009, 13:21
My condolences too Willy, to you and the families.

I admit I hate seatbelts, but I do wear them...it's the law. Back in '71 when I rolled my first 66 GTO I wasn't wearing them. That car had seat and shoulder belts, and it the only one I've seen since that time to have both. If I'd had them on I wouldn't be here typing this right now. Being able to lay across the console and passenger's seat unrestricted is what kept me alive.

Dain Arns
November 11th, 2009, 15:05
Some of you know I am a former Montana Highway Patrolman. I've been struggling with this thread all day. I thought about relating personal experiences, but thinking about those, all that has really done is open up all of the accidents in my mind, where someone died, when they shouldn't have. All of the tragic investigations and notifying family. And frankly, I'd rather leave those tragic dead buried.

This video says it way better than I could ever. It was done by the Montana Department of Transportation in cooperation with the Montana Highway Patrol.

I'll give you all fair warning right now. This is a tough video to watch... :kilroy:

"Room To Live" http://banik.com/mdt_room/FinalVideos/Room%20To%20Live%20640%20high.wmv

brad kaste
November 11th, 2009, 16:37
Dain,....much thanks for posting. I plan to forward this link to many other persons. And to a few that don't buckle up that I know of.

Cloud9Gal
November 11th, 2009, 16:53
I'm sorry for your loss Willy! My Gosh! 19 years old....he had his whole life in front of him. That's so sad! http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Sad/flower-004.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt- I don't care if I'm just going down the road, I click it!

Kiwikat
November 11th, 2009, 17:07
I won't put my car into drive unless everyone in it is wearing a seatbelt. It is scary driving around my college because at least a quarter or third of people aren't wearing them.

I just don't get it.

Gdavis101
November 12th, 2009, 20:59
I lost a cousin years ago because she was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the car when it rolled. Its foolish to not wear a seat belt! I always wear mine!