PDA

View Full Version : Moving location of SimObjects folder?

piperarcherpilot
November 10th, 2009, 13:15
I remember there is a way to move the SimObjects folder to a different physical harddrive, but, how is this best done?

MCDesigns
November 10th, 2009, 13:24
First question is why?
In the FSX CFG, you can set up a new folder for aircraft, so in theory you might also be able to alter the path to the simobjects folder.

GypsyBaron
November 10th, 2009, 13:32
I remember there is a way to move the SimObjects folder to a different physical harddrive, but, how is this best done?

In the "Main" section of your fsx.CFG file simply change
the path callout for the various "Simobjects" that you
might be using. I have several folders located on various physical drives:

[Main]
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.4=M:\FSX AI Aircraft
SimObjectPaths.5=M:\FSX Military AI
SimObjectPaths.8=I:\FSX Military Aircraft
SimObjectPaths.9=I:\FSX A6 Aircraft

To relocate the Simobjects folder just include the full
path to the new location, such as:

[Main]
SimObjectPaths.0=Q:\New Place\SimObjects\Airplanes

Just be aware that if you spread things around, as I have, you need to double check
any alias= paths that might be in the panel/sound/soundai cfg files.
many of my AI aircraft had default alias statements pointing to a default FSX aircraft
folder and assumed that that was in the same location. I needed to include the full
path to the aliased sound/sounai location:

alias=I:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\B737_800\soundai

Note that this illustrates a good reason for moving the Simobjects folder
to a place with a shorter "path"

alias= Q:\SimObjects\Airplanes\....etc

Paul

piperarcherpilot
November 10th, 2009, 13:35
Well, using my 'excellent' planning abilites, I installed FSX on my OS drive, which happens to be only about 100 GB total. Over the years, its now down to 25 GB free space, and I dont want to go below that. My second internal drive has close to 270 GB free, so I'd like to move the SimObjects folders to that drive if possible. I remember seeing some sort of CFG file (different from the main FSX CFG) that told FSX where to look for certain folders, giving the option to move them if you want. I just cant remember what file that is...

EDIT: Thanks Paul!

piperarcherpilot
November 10th, 2009, 13:53
Just be aware that if you spread things around, as I have, you need to double check
any alias= paths that might be in the panel/sound/soundai cfg files.

Hmm...I wondered about that. I'm moving my SimObjects/Airplanes folder to a different drive now, I'll report back if it royally messes up any installers/payware configuration software...

italoc
November 11th, 2009, 13:16
Hi guys,
I was very interested to your conversation and I wanted to do the same
i.e. moving my Simobjects file to a different location .... so I went looking for fsx.cfg and ..... it disappeared: I cannot find fsx.cfg anywhere in my system :isadizzy:
(note that I still fly my FSX no problems) :isadizzy:

Anyone has a suggestion ??

Italo

IanP
November 11th, 2009, 13:28
In your Windows Explorer options, tick "show hidden files and folders". fsx.cfg is in a hidden location by default and won't be found by a search or visible to you unless you show hidden files.

falcon409
November 11th, 2009, 14:36
First question is why?
Exactly, what do you gain by moving the SimObjects folder to another drive? I always thought it would be great to have different types of aircraft stashed in their own folders, but I never even gave a thought to moving the whole folder, so what's the advantage?

piperarcherpilot
November 11th, 2009, 15:04
Hi Falcon, quoted from above,

Well, using my 'excellent' planning abilites, I installed FSX on my OS drive, which happens to be only about 100 GB total. Over the years, its now down to 25 GB free space, and I dont want to go below that. My second internal drive has close to 270 GB free, so I'd like to move the SimObjects folders to that drive if possible. I remember seeing some sort of CFG file (different from the main FSX CFG) that told FSX where to look for certain folders, giving the option to move them if you want. I just cant remember what file that is...

Basically, I've got too much crap on my FSX drive, and wanted to spread it out. BTW, moving the Airplanes folder worked okay (freed up about 12 gb on C:), but did mess up several alias links, so I moved it all back. I will just have to start uninstalling things if I want to add new stuff. Or maybe its time to move some of my other simulators over - most likely a lot easier. That is.....until I have the money for a new system.

GypsyBaron
November 11th, 2009, 21:40

EDIT: Thanks Paul!

You can also move your Addon Scenery to another drive
but leave the default Addon Scenery folder where it is
with its scenery and texture folder.

Just name the new folder Addon Scenery2 or some such
and then put mall your scenery additions there. You can
edit the scenery.cfg file to point to the new location(s).

Remember, when you 'activate' a new scenery addon
from within FSX you tell it where the scenery is located.
It can be anywhere, in any folder structure, as long as there is a folder named "scenery" ( and "texture" if needed )
in the folder you "point" FSX to.

Paul

italoc
November 12th, 2009, 05:29
In your Windows Explorer options, tick "show hidden files and folders". fsx.cfg is in a hidden location by default and won't be found by a search or visible to you unless you show hidden files.

Thanks IanP ... yes you're right this is why I could not find it.
Now I have it.
Again thanks
Italo

Lateral-G
November 12th, 2009, 05:40
Exactly, what do you gain by moving the SimObjects folder to another drive? I always thought it would be great to have different types of aircraft stashed in their own folders, but I never even gave a thought to moving the whole folder, so what's the advantage?

Several reasons:

1. saves space on your C drive (a lot of space!)
2. a common location for your airplanes
3. easier to add/delete/modify aircraft

I created a separate "Hangar" folder on my I drive and direct FSX there for loading the aircraft. It takes a bit of extra effort initially and then having to add a line to each aircraft.cfg so they can be 'found' when FSX loads but it's not a big deal.

The SimObjects file can get very large, very fast if you have a lot of add-ons and 3rd party planes. You'd be surprised how much HD space it can eat up. Not all of us have 500GB hard drives. I am fortunate I have expansion slots for up to 4 extra HD's on my PC (I'm only using 2 right now but I can see me needing more with added programs, pictures, videos and other files). One thing is for sure, you can never have enough memory.

-G-

falcon409
November 12th, 2009, 06:24
. . . .I created a separate "Hangar" folder on my I drive and direct FSX there for loading the aircraft. It takes a bit of extra effort initially and then having to add a line to each aircraft.cfg so they can be 'found' when FSX loads but it's not a big deal.
-G-
G, can you post an example of the aircraft.cfg mod to point to the new folder?

Lateral-G
November 12th, 2009, 06:54
G, can you post an example of the aircraft.cfg mod to point to the new folder?

If I do it from memory I will get it wrong. :blind:

When I get home later I will post after looking at a .cfg file. I'm at work now and my FSX PC is at home.

-G-

falcon409
November 12th, 2009, 06:57
If I do it from memory I will get it wrong. :blind:

When I get home later I will post after looking at a .cfg file. I'm at work now and my FSX PC is at home.
-G-
Excellent, Thanks!:applause:

GypsyBaron
November 12th, 2009, 10:42
-SNIP-

I created a separate "Hangar" folder on my I drive and direct FSX there for loading the aircraft. It takes a bit of extra effort initially and then having to add a line to each aircraft.cfg so they can be 'found' when FSX loads but it's not a big deal.
-SNIP-

-G-

?????
I have several folders on various drives containing many of
my "SimObjects". I didn't have to touch the aircraft.cfg files
at all. FSX "finds them" via the statements in the "Main"
section of the fsx.CFG file as shown in my original post above
in this thread .

Paul

falcon409
November 12th, 2009, 11:52
Paul, I had thought about not only moving the "Airplanes" folder to a different location but then making folders for aircraft types, to keep things sorted (more for me than FSX). Does that simply make things more confusing for FSX as far as load times, or is that not affected in that way?

Henry
November 12th, 2009, 12:07
Paul, I had thought about not only moving the "Airplanes" folder to a different location but then making folders for aircraft types, to keep things sorted (more for me than FSX). Does that simply make things more confusing for FSX as far as load times, or is that not affected in that way?
that is done easily
as quoted

[Main]
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.4=M:\FSX AI Aircraft
SimObjectPaths.5=M:\FSX Military AI
SimObjectPaths.8=I:\FSX Military Aircraft
SimObjectPaths.9=I:\FSX A6 Aircraft

only i use GA
ww2 single prop
ww2 twin prop
tubes etc etc
however best suits you
never had to configure each cfg though
just the main
H

falcon409
November 12th, 2009, 15:08
Yep, works like a champ. It actually seems to boot quicker. . . .but that could be my imagination too, lol.:isadizzy:

GypsyBaron
November 12th, 2009, 15:35

That's exactly what I have done. I maintained the default
SimObjects folders but then created additional folders
for various types, such as AI, Military AI, Military Aircraft,
Propliners, etc.

It doesn't make any difference to FSX or load times as
far as I can determine.

In addition, I have created several different fsx_xxxx.cfg
files that enable/disable the various folders, depending
upon where.what I want to fly. I do this by making a
copy of the fsx.exe and renaming it, say, fsx_propliners.exe.
I then copy the fsx.cfg file and rename the copy to
fsx_propliners.cfg and select the various SimObject
folders I want enabled for that configuration.

I do a similar thing with the scenery.cfg file but that
is a bit more complicated.

Paul

Lateral-G
November 12th, 2009, 16:44
?????
I have several folders on various drives containing many of
my "SimObjects". I didn't have to touch the aircraft.cfg files
at all. FSX "finds them" via the statements in the "Main"
section of the fsx.CFG file as shown in my original post above
in this thread .

Paul

I add the following line to the cfg file:

ui_typerole="WWII Aircraft"

Where "WWII Aircraft" is a sub-folder on my I drive in a folder called "Hangar"

The file path is:

I:Hangar/WWII Aircraft

I have added the following to the [Main] section of FSX.cfg

SimObjectPaths.6=I:\Hangar\Spacecraft
SimObjectPaths.7=I:\Hangar\Vintage
SimObjectPaths.8=I:\Hangar\WWII Aircraft
SimObjectPaths.9=I:\Hangar\Nasa
SimObjectPaths.10=I:\Hangar\Military
SimObjectPaths.11=I:\Hangar\Business Jet
SimObjectPaths.12=I:\Hangar\Trainer
SimObjectPaths.13=I:\Hangar\Civilian
SimObjectPaths.14=I:\Hangar\Jet Transport

If I do not add the ui_typerole="WWII Aircraft" line to the aircraft.cfg file they do not show up in FSX

Hope this helps explain it.

-G-

GypsyBaron
November 12th, 2009, 18:26
I add the following line to the cfg file:

ui_typerole="WWII Aircraft"

-SNIP-

If I do not add the ui_typerole="WWII Aircraft" line to the aircraft.cfg file they do not show up in FSX

Hope this helps explain it.

-G-

The "ui_typerole=" is only used by FSX when you FILTER
the aircraft selection screen..."ui"=user interface.

If you set the filter on the aircraft selection screen to "All"
or whatever the term is, then the aircraft would show up without
having an entry for the "ui_typerole=" line.

I don't use the filters but instead create different fsx_xxxx.cfg versions
to limit what is shown on my aircraft selection screen.

Paul

falcon409
November 12th, 2009, 18:34
. . . . .I don't use the filters but instead create different fsx_xxxx.cfg versions to limit what is shown on my aircraft selection screen.
Paul
Now that's a cool idea but it wouldn't work for me because I tend to jump from aircraft to aircraft during a long session of flying and I'd have to quit, get out of FSX and restart with a different configuration. Still in all the concept is a very good one.

falcon409
November 13th, 2009, 15:22
I revived this one more time because I think I found a reason not to do this. . .at least in my case. I use FSRepaint to do repaints and I discovered that FSRepaint cannot find the airplanes now that I moved them. It finds the folders that they're assigned to, but it does not recognize the folder tree below the main folder.

falcon409
November 13th, 2009, 15:58
Yep, this won't work. Amazingly, the sim itself has no problem finding the aircraft, but utilities that require the aircraft to physically be in the FSX directory do not find the airplane (FSRepaint and FSPanel Studio so far).
I rely on both of those tools, so, good idea, but not working so back they go.:isadizzy: