PDA

View Full Version : 50 Worst Cars

Wing_Z
November 9th, 2009, 11:21
Here's a list compiled by TIME (http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/completelist/0,,1658545,00.html)

My pick?
The Triumph Stag, the absolute nadir of British Leyland engineering, and landmark of the self-destruction of a once-proud motor industry.
AMC Gremlin might be a close second, though the list tries to be a bit controversial and has included the Trabant! :d

OBIO
November 9th, 2009, 11:35
There was an AMC Gremlin X down home when I was growing up that simply rocked. I doubt it was stock, but it was the fastest car on the road for a while...until Shazam (a Ford Pinto with an insanely built 427 Cobra Jet) was pulled out of retirement and the Cane boys built their 1969 Camaro into something better suited for NHRA sanctioned strips....the older Cane brother kept the car at his house about a mile and a half from the rear of our high school...when he fired it up to head to work at 2:30 each day, we could hear it in the study hall room on the front side of the building!

Lots of losers on that list...but some were actually pretty reliable cars...maybe not the best styled. The Chevette was a car that would run and run..the body would be rusted away but it would keep going.

OBIO

MyassisDragon
November 9th, 2009, 11:38
The Corvair, the Gremlin and the Pinto. Boy do I remember those three losers. Never owned one, fortunately, but had friends who did and came to regret it big-time.

David_L6
November 9th, 2009, 11:46
I know why the 1975 TR-7 made the list. I had a 1976 TR-7. Hard to believe that the 1976 model didn't make the list too. Those little cars were terrible!

Naismith
November 9th, 2009, 12:04
Citroen CX. Looker but clunker. My 1978 model was in the garage at least every 6 weeks and was crushed due to rust when it was 6 years old.
The only darned thing that never went wrong with it was the hydromatic suspension.

Bjoern
November 9th, 2009, 12:35
Trabant?????

How dare they...

Willy
November 9th, 2009, 13:16
Interesting. The Ford Model T made it. In it's day it was very popular.

Usually the Chevy Vega makes these lists, but for some reason was excluded this on this on. Which is ok as I always did like the Vega.

Dain Arns
November 9th, 2009, 13:29
Interesting. The Ford Model T made it. In it's day it was very popular.

Usually the Chevy Vega makes these lists, but for some reason was excluded this on this on. Which is ok as I always did like the Vega.

Because the Model T was a no frills, always breaking down, cheap piece of junk. But it was affordable (Pun intended). :icon_lol: Entry level motor car for the masses but everything I've ever seen on it says many of the parts never fit well. Mr Ford could punch out a lot of them each day, but I guess Ford Quality was invented later on it sounds like...

I agree with the Prowler. I liked that style, I felt it was a nice looking car, too bad they never put a motor or transmission in it... :173go1:

Cazzie
November 9th, 2009, 13:29
The Vega's downfall Willy was its engine, a carbon copy of Pontiac's reliable 4-cylinder Iron Duke, but for some bonehead reason, to keep weight down I am sure, Chevy made the block from cast aluminum. Boil it one time and the block is warped, guaranteed. In styling, I give the Vega two thumbs up, it looked good for its day.

And it looked like a Chevrolet.

Caz

Dain Arns
November 9th, 2009, 13:34
The Vega's downfall Willy was its engine, a carbon copy of Pontiac's reliable 4-cylinder Iron Duke, but for some bonehead reason, to keep weight down I am sure, Chevy made the block from cast aluminum. Boil it one time and the block is warped, guaranteed. In styling, I give the Vega two thumbs up, it looked good for its day.

And it looked like a Chevrolet.

Caz

Or living up north, having the block crack in the winter. My Aunt lost her's that way. :kilroy:

Willy
November 9th, 2009, 13:49
I've owned about 4 Vegas back in the day. The main problem I had with them was the aluminum cylinder walls getting eaten up by the piston rings. Take it apart, put steel sleeves into the block for the cylinders and it was a very reliable car. I'd get one fixed up and someone would come along and offer me more than I thought it was worth, so I'd sell it and buy another to fix up. Probably should have kept my last one that I drove for 3 years after fixing the engine.

Another trick was to put a bigger radiator in it to keep cooling problems to a minimum.

Brian_Gladden
November 9th, 2009, 15:15
Found a V-8 Powered Vega once back in High School. Damn I wanted that car. Took it for a test drive and it flew.

The parentals wouldn't cough up the $$$. In hindsight, probably for the best. I really could have hurt myself in that thing. Instead, I got a 77 Ply Volare with a slant 6

Brian

rpjkw
November 9th, 2009, 15:55
Good friend had a Yugo. Man was that a piece of s**t. It started falling almost immediately.

Bob

Prowler1111
November 9th, 2009, 16:05
He overlooked the Fiat UNO, the italian version of the Trabant (not even close to a Yugo)..
The horn was not in the steering wheel but in a lever..the spare tire was right under the hood (next to the engine) and you could bend the thing by giving it some angry looks..not to mention all the cheap plastic used in it (plastic fenders, that got deformed by tropical sun, TRUE STORY), trying to start a 2 yrs old UNO in the morning depends on your luck that day, sure, you could put an A/C in the car, but fuel consumption (not to mention performance) drop 50% (or raised, in the case of fuel)..my dad used to have one for his morning runs to see patients (Brazil, late 80´s) and i´m sure it was the reason of his heart attack in 1990! (he is ok, 75 and kicking)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Uno

If you EVER run into one of these at a dealership, trust me, don´t believe anything the seller tells you, just run...fast..

Prowler

jkcook28
November 9th, 2009, 17:04
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jkcook28/Forums/119200919-59-36.jpg

:a1451: I knew what was coming when I saw this in the banner.
Not surprisingly we get pearls of wisdom like these quotes about perfectly good vehicles whose only fault is the Sierra Club feels "We The People" don't need them.

Ford Explorer: "In its very success, the Ford Explorer is responsible for setting this country on the spiral of vehicular obesity that we are still contending with today."

Ford Excursion:
"Dubbed the Ford "Valdez" by the Sierra Club..."
"Ford argued that many of its customers — ranchers, farmers, um, tugboat enthusiasts — needed a vehicle this big with over 10,000-lb. towing capacity. Maybe that was true, but that didn't keep Suzy Homemakers from driving them to the mall."

Lambo LM002:
"Uday Hussein, son of Saddam, had one, which the U.S. military cheerfully blew up in 2004 during a "test" to simulate the effects of a car bomb. The LM002 is the forerunner of another large and unnecessary SUV that signals pure contempt for one's fellow man, the Hummer H2."

And the worst of the lot:

Hummer H2:
"Introduced shortly after 9/11 — an event whose causes were tangled in America's unquenchable thirst for oil — the Hummer H2 sent all the wrong signals. It was/is arrogantly huge, overtly militaristic, openly scornful of the common good. As a vehicle choice, the H2 was a spiteful reactionary riposte to notions that, you know, maybe we all shouldn't be driving tanks that get 10 miles per gallon. Not surprisingly, the green-niks struck back. A Hummer dealership was torched in Southern California. The H2 was also a PR catastrophe for GM, who happened to be repossessing and crushing the few EV1 electric cars at the time. It all contributed to GM's emerging image as the Dick Cheney of car companies."

(And that's the civvie H2, not the really cool original Hummer.)

Not one single word in any of these SUV entries points out flaws in the vehicles; just PC garbage from CNN. ugh :gameoff:

Prowler1111
November 9th, 2009, 18:07
BTW, i owe my life to my 06 Ford Explorer..

Prowler

Lionheart
November 9th, 2009, 19:24
the VEGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Akkkk!!!!
:kilroy:

Willy
November 9th, 2009, 19:26
C'mon LH... you know you want one :d

Wing_Z
November 9th, 2009, 20:22
Not one single word in any of these SUV entries points out flaws in the vehicles; just PC garbage from CNN...ugh
Gotta be because these vehicles are...flawless???:d

viking3
November 9th, 2009, 20:29
Some brothers down the backlane from my house growing up had a Vega done up for the strip, with the tubbed rear end for slicks and a 350 LT1 pushing 700 HP. That little car was a rocket. They made it to Brainerd, Mn. for the NHRA Division finals in Bracket II a couple of times before they sold the car.
The one brother now has a '57 Chevy Nomad that I would love to own. He has it done up in a copper metallic paint that just makes it shine like a new penny. What a car.

Regards, Rob:ernae:

wombat666
November 10th, 2009, 03:28
The Stag was really nasty!
My youngest brother brought one home for a weekend from the dealership he worked in at the time.
I gave it a run through our Urban Test Track and almost rolled it ........ through a corner my 240Z would breeze through.
To quote my brother "Looks like a million bucks, drives like an Austin 1800".
:173go1:

TomSteber
November 10th, 2009, 03:29
The one I'm driving!