PDA

View Full Version : One of those rare 'ahhhh' moments

Nick C
November 8th, 2009, 05:33
A little bit of serenity with the H1 in the Tongass landscape.

Ahhhhh...

jdhaenens
November 8th, 2009, 05:36
aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh. Wow.

DB93
November 8th, 2009, 05:38
Beautiful shot! :)

jmig
November 8th, 2009, 05:40
Hey Nick, did you forget to uncage the AH? It shows you wings level and the world shows you in a left bank.

*slaps his forehead* Oh I get it now. You are up there near the North Pole where all those little lines converge and the earth curves more.

:icon_lol:

Nick C
November 8th, 2009, 05:45
Unless I'm wrong (often I am), the H1 is a little different. Look at the markers at the top of the dial, you'll see they are not central.

Zorg_DK
November 8th, 2009, 05:57
Aahhh... :)

(awesome shot!)

foreigndevil
November 8th, 2009, 07:47
Superb shot!:applause:

VFR Reviews
November 8th, 2009, 07:56
Awesome mate, beautiful work :D

aaaaah :ernae:

heywooood
November 8th, 2009, 08:01
that IS a nice shot...:ernae:

falcon409
November 8th, 2009, 08:18
Nick, I'm impressed that you actually fly that airplane, lol.
In Aerosoft's defense, they advertised for a long time before release that the airplane was not for the casual flyer. . . . .of course I bought it anyway, lol. . . .flew it maybe half a dozen times. . .longest I was able to go without blowing the engine was maybe 10 minutes. Needless to say I don't have it installed anymore. . .beautiful airplane though.

jmig
November 8th, 2009, 09:10
Unless I'm wrong (often I am), the H1 is a little different. Look at the markers at the top of the dial, you'll see they are not central.

True! No matter, I was just teasing anyway. :) It is a wonderful picture. Brings you back in time.

Nick C
November 8th, 2009, 09:17
Heh, no defense needed, I'm well known for forgetting obvious procedures in a pit, just ask Ian!

Ed, I love the H1, the touring model especially. The drone from the engines is just fantastic and it's a joy to fly. Just keep the revs and throttle under control and you should be fine.

spotlope
November 8th, 2009, 09:54
I half expected to always blow engines in this one too, but I've yet to do so. It's got so much power that you can baby it and still go hella fast. I must just have a light hand on the throttle. Fantastic shot, Nick! :applause:

Chacha
November 8th, 2009, 12:52
Uhhhhhhhh! :applause:

Beautiful....

Panther_99FS
November 8th, 2009, 13:06
Must resist.....:bump:

spotlope
November 8th, 2009, 13:47
Haven't you heard, Panther? Resistance is futile.

Panther_99FS
November 8th, 2009, 14:09
Haven't you heard, Panther? Resistance is futile.

:icon_lol:.....
Seriously though, one more lense & flash to get, then I'm back to saving up for a FSX system.....

Roger
November 8th, 2009, 15:03
Don't have Tongass (there's something about the name I can't get past:kilroy:) but I must get the H1 out of the hangar! Great shot!

dswo
November 8th, 2009, 16:20
What a great day for flying up here: skies dramatic but not menacing.

Lionheart
November 8th, 2009, 18:20
Great shot Nick..

That VC in the H1 is just brilliant.. The textures, the shine of the little hex nuts on the canopy framework, the chipping and rubbed off paint on the panel, the leather textures on the cockpit cushions... just awesome...

In the movie 'The Aviator', I was so bummed out when his cool speed circuit only lasted but a short time. Fastest man in the world...

Awesome.....

(this was the fastest plane in the world at the time.... )

Bill

deimos256
November 9th, 2009, 01:58
Nick, I'm impressed that you actually fly that airplane, lol.
In Aerosoft's defense, they advertised for a long time before release that the airplane was not for the casual flyer. . . . .of course I bought it anyway, lol. . . .flew it maybe half a dozen times. . .longest I was able to go without blowing the engine was maybe 10 minutes. Needless to say I don't have it installed anymore. . .beautiful airplane though.

For me the trick is as long as you keep the revs low you can fly all day. I had lots of troubles keeping her in the sky when I first got her but now a flight lasting longer than 15 minutes makes all the struggle worthwhile.

dswo
November 9th, 2009, 02:56
That VC in the H1 is just brilliant...

I reviewed this for AVSIM when it came out. (I had just been in Washington and was taking pictures of the real thing, which is on display in the air and space museum.) I still think it's one of the FSX gems; priced now at US$23, it's an affordable gem as well.

I took it up last night after my screenshot flights. Great sound! Engine management isn't too complex: throttle down, RPMs down (that's key), and keep the temp needle out of the red. Much simpler than the AccuSim P-47.

Reasons not to buy: these have nothing to do with the model. The real Racer has a low wing that's not ideally placed for viewing ground scenery. Also, it's got a big engine up front that makes it hard to see forward on final -- but that won't spook anyone's who flown a Corsair, Spitfire, or other high-powered prop fighter.

Ferry_vO
November 9th, 2009, 03:10
Don't have Tongass (there's something about the name I can't get past:kilroy:) but I must get the H1 out of the hangar! Great shot!

:icon_lol:

Don't have it myself; I was thinking about getting it, since Francois had a good deal at the FS Weekend, but I skipped it to get the Aerosoft Lelystad X Scenery and Rise of flight. The H-1 racer is a beautiful aircraft though!! Bought that one from Mathijs Kok at last years' show. Have yet to blow an engine, but I like to fly aircraft with a more realistic engine magement anyway. The Realair Spit, A2A 377, H-1 and of course the DC-2.

Ferry_vO
November 9th, 2009, 03:12
In the movie 'The Aviator', I was so bummed out when his cool speed circuit only lasted but a short time. Fastest man in the world...

Ever noticed how the cockpit is open in the close-up shots but closed in the long shots...? :banghead:

Almost as bad as welding the wooden Spruce goose ..

noddy
November 9th, 2009, 03:26
A fantastic shot. :applause:

Nick C
November 9th, 2009, 08:25
Guys, it's nice that you came out of the woodwork to comment and open topics for discussion. I'm not a developer, but I find it very hard to find time just to use the sim as a sim, not a tool. I think even the casual simmer spends a lot of time tinkering with the sim, rather than flying, so it's nice to take a relaxing flight and capture the moment.

I actually believe it takes a bloody lot of effort to take a flight in the sim and stick with it from start to end without being distracted, certainly I haven't really been able to do this since the FS9 days with the Georenders around the PNW. I'm really hoping that the FTX PNW and Emma add-ons are going to change all this and take me back to the time when I found the simulator the most enjoyable, especially if the the Emma group becomes a little more lively again and I can drag a certain old repainter out of FS retirement (you know who you are if you're reading).

Funny, but I consider Washington state my home in FS...

Paularx
November 9th, 2009, 10:03
Great shot Nick ! - It's very very beautifull.

.......and I wish to beg a favour if I may, and if it is not too presumtuous(sic) to ask

would you please consider posting a Hi-res version for use as a desktop background ?

You make this hobby look good !
:ernae:

falcon409
November 9th, 2009, 10:32
Well Nick,
I gave the H1 another try and actually had a great flight from Portland Int'l. to Astoria.I was able to maintain an air speed around 280kts and just worked the prop, throttle and mixture and watched the manifold pressure and temps to keep everything out of the "oh no here we go again" zone and it was an enjoyable flight. Thanks for the push to try one more time.

Lionheart
November 9th, 2009, 12:49
Great screenshots Falcon.

:ernae:

I actually believe it takes a bloody lot of effort to take a flight in the sim and stick with it from start to end without being distracted, certainly I haven't really been able to do this since the FS9 days

Nick C

I know what you mean Nick...

spotlope
November 9th, 2009, 13:00
Nice shots, Falcon. Though it feels a little strange to say it, I get nostalgic seeing the cooling tower of the Trojan nuclear reactor still sitting there in the sim. Whatever else it was, it was always a good VFR reference. These days, IRL, it is no more. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1626788/trojan_nuclear_plant_implosion/

Dain Arns
November 9th, 2009, 13:02
Have to thank Bill and Holger, yet again. TongassX just seems to create one lovely screenshot after another, flight after flight, day after day. :applause:

Roger, Roger, Roger. You really need to do yourself a favor and get past the name, Sir... :icon_lol:

What's turning into one of my favorite spots in the Tongass Fjords, are the two cabins at Shake's Slough, northeast of Wrangell. I love flying low over the river up that valley, then you turn the corner and have that far off shot of Mount Fawcett in the distance, right where the cabins are. Seems like it's always surrounded by clouds. That has to be a really incredible view in real life, because it's pretty wonderful in Tongass for FSX...

Mr.Mugel
November 9th, 2009, 22:38
The H-1 is great, she´s just a bitch to land in my opinion... Nice shots in here!

Roger
November 9th, 2009, 23:06
Have to thank Bill and Holger, yet again. TongassX just seems to create one lovely screenshot after another, flight after flight, day after day. :applause:

Roger, Roger, Roger. You really need to do yourself a favor and get past the name, Sir... :icon_lol:

Ha ha,
That was just a joke and I'm sure it is fantastic scenery, but as I fly mainly in the UK (but for Plum Island which is a favorite place for screenshots:engel016:) I'm hoping that one day there will be more attention payed to UK venues for that quality of scenery.

Nick C
November 11th, 2009, 13:23
Would you please consider posting a Hi-res version for use as a desktop background ?

Certainly, right click the following link and 'save as'.

http://www.screenshotartist.co.uk/images/random/h1_01_large.jpg