PDA

View Full Version : What causes this?

falcon409
November 8th, 2009, 05:33
I seem to remember this coming up in another post a long time ago, but I don't remember what the cause was. I'm running stock FSX with GEX, UTX (which is currently not active) and FSG Land Class Project. I don't have any other FSG mesh installed and no other mesh or terrain addons but I see this everywhere.

Nick C
November 8th, 2009, 05:41
As GEX and FSG are, I presume, just landclass and shouldn't alter the shorelines (correct me if I'm wrong), I'd say UTX is the issue as there seems to be a conflict between a third party and default shorelines.

What happens if you enable UTX? Is something out of position in the scenery library?

orionll
November 8th, 2009, 06:13
By the looks of the shorelines, I think part of UTX didn't deactivate properly.

lifejogger
November 8th, 2009, 06:51
I believe you still have some UTX showing up,

falcon409
November 8th, 2009, 06:58
Ok, the reason I deactivated UTX was because I started noticing that lakes were missing. I mean entire bodies of inland water were gone. I didn't think it had anything to do with GEX since that is more of a texture addon than anything that actually changes the mesh/terrain, so I deactivated UTX and all the water came back. I think rather than just deactivating it, what I need to do is uninstall it completely, clean the registry of any leftover references and then go back and reinstall and see what I get. Thanks guys!!:ernae:

falcon409
November 8th, 2009, 08:56
Well, I've uninstalled UTX completely, rebooted and went back into FSX. . .nothing changed. Those errant coastlines are still there. I was also going uninstall the FSG Landclass but the uninstall program seems to either not be able to locate it, or something is missing to run the uninstall. If I knew where those files reside I'd just manually delete them.

So now, since uninstalling UTX had no effect, I'm not sure what could be causing the extra coastlines I'm seeing. I'll keep working on it though.:isadizzy:

falcon409
November 8th, 2009, 09:24
I've now uninstalled UTX, GEX and FSGenesis LC and the problem remains. I know this can't be a problem related to default scenery, so something, leftover from something I tried and deleted or didn't completely uninstall is causing this. I did install some mesh for areas other than the US but I wouldn't think those (New Zealand and PNG) would have any effect on the US. Grrrrrrrr.

Nick C
November 8th, 2009, 09:26
No other scenery at all installed?

I may be worth considering, as a last resort, installing UTX again.

abrussell
November 8th, 2009, 10:07
Try the freeware Revo Uninstaller. It uses the applications own uninstaller and then searches out and marks for deletion all the registry entries and the leftover files and bits and pieces.
Bruce

kjb
November 8th, 2009, 12:16
It could be the opposite effect. It looks like default shorelines showing up where enhanced land class has revised the water, but not excluded the original shorelines.

falcon409
November 8th, 2009, 18:29
It could be the opposite effect. It looks like default shorelines showing up where enhanced land class has revised the water, but not excluded the original shorelines.
. . .and if that means a reinstallation of FSX, I'll pass. I've uninstalled everything and taken FSX back to default as far as terrain/mesh enhancements and the left over shorelines remained. I reinstalled GEX and UTX along with all updates and still the odd shorelines are still there. I can only assume from that that you're correct kjb. . .the only thing it could be is the default shorelines and I know of no other way to correct that except to do a clean install and start over and I refuse to do that. I'll just put up with it.

quantumleap
November 8th, 2009, 19:05
I'd recommend that you head over to the Ultimate Terrain product support forum at http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=19 for more help. I can tell you however the first thing I'll ask is for co-ordinates (SHIFT+Z in FSX) of the location you are seeing this issue at so we can see if we can reproduce it.

Jeff

falcon409
November 8th, 2009, 19:12
I'd recommend that you head over to the Ultimate Terrain product support forum at http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=19 for more help. I can tell you however the first thing I'll ask is for co-ordinates (SHIFT+Z in FSX) of the location you are seeing this issue at so we can see if we can reproduce it.

Jeff
Jeff, it's not just one location. It's anywhere (in the US) where there's a body of water.

falcon409
November 9th, 2009, 09:01
Ok Folks, just as a HU (and I doubt anyone else in the entire Flightsim Community has this combination), UTX and Flightscenery Portland apparently is causing this problem. I posted a question about this over on the UT Support Forum per Jeff's suggestion and mentioned, along with a quick screenshot, that I was also using that addon, modified for FSX.

As he mentioned in his reply (and I remember this from the FS9 days), Flightscenery had a patch for FS9 users who were using UT along with the Portland scenery. My modified Portland scenery in FSX has apparently caused this problem of errant shorelines. The problem only exists in a very narrow corridor from just north of SeaTac to just south of Portland and about 15nm east or west of that center line. I can live with that in order to keep KPDX.

Thanks again Jeff.:ernae:

Nick C
November 9th, 2009, 09:21
I seem to remember that is was Jeff that spotted the problem with the mesh patch offered by Fly Tampa on their Seattle scenery in FS9, this caused all sorts of problems around the Portland area.

Can you clarify that you're using the FS9 Portland in FSX?

I'm running stock FSX with GEX, UTX (which is currently not active) and FSG Land Class Project

Not being picky, just curious.

falcon409
November 9th, 2009, 09:44
. . . .Can you clarify that you're using the FS9 Portland in FSX?
Yep! Took a lot of tweaking and experimenting, but it works pretty well with FSX.