PDA

View Full Version : Which Connie?

OBIO
November 3rd, 2009, 18:06
Manfred Jahn and the Connie Team produced a great variety of Connies....I am not sure which one I want as I am not all that familiar with the plane...I want one Connie, piston powered, to use as a cargo hauler. Which one of the Connies should I grab?

I have the Alphasim freebies...but am looking for a bit more depth to the VC.

OBIO

Drzook
November 3rd, 2009, 19:23
Dude aren't they all piston powered?:kilroy:

brad kaste
November 3rd, 2009, 19:49
Obio,
Try here. It has a decent VC. It's the Lockheed L-1619A Starliner. It's not a cargo hauler though.

http://www.calclassic.com/starliner.htm

PeteHam
November 3rd, 2009, 20:53
I would recommend the Lockheed L-1049H Super Constellation.

There are cargo paints out there for it.

But, Stefan says the L-749 which is in the final stages will be a cargo one as well.

Pete.

Terry
November 4th, 2009, 01:50
Dude aren't they all piston powered?:kilroy:

Not quite. This is also a well done freeware.

Lockheed YC-121F / R7V-2 Turbo Super Constellation

Tom Clayton
November 4th, 2009, 06:01
I would recommend the Lockheed L-1049H Super Constellation.

There are cargo paints out there for it.

But, Stefan says the L-749 which is in the final stages will be a cargo one as well.

Pete.
I wish you'd told me to put on my drool bib before you posted that!!!:jump:

bpfowler
November 4th, 2009, 06:04
all of manfred's connies have a very good VC, focussed on flying activities, not glamour. start with the reccomended 1049H for cargo, or the c-121 if you want military paints. Some fo the 1049s have a shortnose mdl, which I prefer, lookswise.

But I am gonna bet 12 cents the upcoming 749 is the best of them all.

HOWEVER: if you can live without a VC, you really need to look at the FSDZ 049 connie, perhaps the best-looking piston airliner in the stable. The 2d cockpit works very well, too. I still love this one the most when I want a high-horsepower piston run at FL20, great sounds!

cheerio
brady

OBIO
November 4th, 2009, 07:31
Thanks for the info brothers. I grabbed the G and H models....with H being the one I will be using the most as I do long range cargo hauls. Not too concerned about grabbing paints as I am going to do up a personal paint scheme for my virtual freighter company and apply that scheme to all the cargo haulers I fly.

Will check out the FSDZ Connie just for the sounds.....haven't found a sound pack for the Connie that I like yet (will most likely make my own to suit my personal taste...loud, rumbly, gurgly, SCARY). Won't fly the plane as it doesn't have a VC...I fly from the VC and the VC only (other than quick looks at the 2D panel for clearer viewing of a gauge every now and then).

OBIO

Z-claudius24
November 4th, 2009, 08:10
Hi,

I like the FSDZ Connie (and not for the sounds only)
I'm a 2D panel fan .. mabe this explain that .. :)
A nice cargo repaint

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy280/Dumo222/MIXED%20FS2004/snap02414.jpg

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy280/Dumo222/MIXED%20FS2004/snap02416.jpg

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy280/Dumo222/MIXED%20FS2004/snap02417.jpg

PeteHam
November 4th, 2009, 10:00
For the best ever sounds , try these ......

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Sound FS2004/FSX Super Constellation/Starliner Sound
[ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=123748) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=123748) ]
Name: consnd21.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=123748) Size: 13,551,871 Date: 05-29-2008 Downloads: 1,764
FS2004/FSX Super Constellation And Starliner R-3350 Sound Set, v2.1. Intended for Manfred Janhn's Lockheed L-1649 Starliner. Enhanced external sounds for more real fly-by effect. Mixed from free sources and videos. By Diego S. Barreto.

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Sound FS2004 Curtiss-Wright R-3350 Sound Pack
[ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=123297) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=123297) ]
Name: r-3350.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=123297) Size: 24,315,782 Date: 05-10-2008 Downloads: 1,701
FS2004 Curtiss-Wright R-3350 Four-Engine Sound Set. A Curtiss-Wright R-3350 four-engine soundset suitable for Super Constellation and DC-7 models. The package contains sounds recorded by Friedrich Trachsel for the SCFA "Breitling" Super Connie and is released here in support of the Starliner project.

Pete.

OBIO
November 4th, 2009, 10:52
I have downloaded the consnd21, consnd2.2 and the r-3350 packs....and none of them really do it for me. Lawdog's B-29 sound pack...which is great...still isn't there for me. I took Lawdog's P-47 sound pack, tweaked it for a 4 eingine set up...now that has rumble. It could be my lousy speaker system that I am using currently....they suck! Took my good 5.1 surround package and moved it into the living room as a replacement for the big floor speakers I had been using in there...freed up a lot of space, sound great...but left me with no speakers for my PC. Bought a 2.1 channel set....but need to get back out and buy another set like the ones that I moved into the living room. For now, the quad-P47 pack will have to do as my Connie package.

OBIO

Willy
November 4th, 2009, 13:30
The early Connies (L049 - L749) used Wright Cyclones like in the B-29. The Super Connies and Starliners used Compound Turbo Cyclones as did the DC-7. The main difference is power recovery turbines that the compounded engines used to boost hp. The turbines also changed the sounds of the engines.

The P-47 used P&W R-2800 Double Wasps that had a different sound from the Cyclones. There was a prototype Connie that used the P&W R-2800s, but it was later converted to be the Super Connie prototype.

OBIO
November 4th, 2009, 13:38
Yeah, you are totally correct. But using Lawdog's P-47 sound pack as the basis for my Connie sound, while not accurate, sounds amazing at cruise power levels. The Connie packs and Lawdog's B-29 pack just sound too monotone at cruise power levels.....no rumble, no growl.

OBIO

HighGround22
November 4th, 2009, 13:43
Good to know. Thanks for that, Willy.

smilo
November 4th, 2009, 14:59
I have downloaded the consnd21, consnd2.2 and the r-3350 packs....and none of them really do it for me. Lawdog's B-29 sound pack...which is great...still isn't there for me. I took Lawdog's P-47 sound pack, tweaked it for a 4 eingine set up...now that has rumble. It could be my lousy speaker system that I am using currently....they suck! Took my good 5.1 surround package and moved it into the living room as a replacement for the big floor speakers I had been using in there...freed up a lot of space, sound great...but left me with no speakers for my PC. Bought a 2.1 channel set....but need to get back out and buy another set like the ones that I moved into the living room. For now, the quad-P47 pack will have to do as my Connie package.

OBIO

before you go out and buy another 5.1 speaker system,
may I recommend something like this;
http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRIUA512.htm
it is by no means, cheap, but oh mama...
I have an older version and all I can say is
IT ROCKS!!!
as I recall, I read one of your posts a week or so ago,
where you were talking about the volume
getting the attention of the lady of the house.
this might help there, too.

OBIO
November 4th, 2009, 15:49
There is a double edged sword thing going on with my audio systems.

1) I like them powerful for optimal sound quality...but sometimes I like to bump the volume up a bit to really get surrounded by sound. This attracts the attention of the Wife.

2) While head phones, a quality pair of head phones let me say, would give me sound quality and the ability to play my sim a bit louder without earning the evil eye of my Bitter, I mean Better, half....the use of head phones would prevent her from being able to get my attention when she needs me. With her still being somewhat limited due to last summer's brain surgery (she is at about 80/85% recovered...neurologist doesn't expect any more recovery beyond where she is at presently...God may have other plans)....it is important for me to be able to hear her call for me when she needs me.

So, it's another 5.1 package for my PC, with the occasional extra push of the volume button..yes, my speaker system was remote controlled...how cool is that!?!?!?!?

OBIO

Sunny9850
November 4th, 2009, 16:40
I wish you'd told me to put on my drool bib before you posted that!!!:jump:

We're not quite there yet. Unfortunately the sexy shape of my favorite bird is giving our team leader Manfred fits when it comes to cutting out a moving cargo door.
I have actually done a little cutting, welding and riveting myself and send the Gmax code back to Manfred for further evaluation.

In the end he has to be happy with the final result....or it will have to be a painted on door only.

However I can tell you she flies like a dream and aside from very small differences in certain regimes she does so BY-THE-BOOK.
I love the Starliner....and the L-1049 series.....but I think the L-749 is going to be the best one yet.

Stefan

OBIO
November 4th, 2009, 16:48
Sunny

Any chance that Manfred could be convinced to do an update to the Avro York to include a VC?

OBIO

Willy
November 4th, 2009, 17:01
Obio, my speakers are an older set from Creative Labs that I bought for for CFS 1 ten years ago. Subwoofer with two smaller speakers and they've been good for all this time. I was living in a trailer when I first got them and scared the dogs out from under it the first time I started up my Bf 109 at full volume :d.

But I hardly use them now. I bought an expensive Koss headset with boom mike and use them instead as Mrs Willy isn't too fond of the drone of aircraft engines. (especially my use of Coffman starters on a lot of sound packs) She's disabled and needs my help at times so I wear them with one ear piece on my ear and the other behind the other ear so I can hear her.

Sunny9850
November 5th, 2009, 17:05
Sunny

Any chance that Manfred could be convinced to do an update to the Avro York to include a VC?

OBIO

I will ask him.....but I am still trying to talk him into adding the VC into YC-121 so that the Connie family is complete for VC buffs like myself :jump:
And there is still one more Connie to do once the L-749/C-121 is finished and
released.

Stefan

Maarten -
November 6th, 2009, 05:20
Hey Stefan,

Do you mean the L-1049 sans-suffixe? (without the turbocompounds)

Cheers,
Maarten

Sunny9850
November 6th, 2009, 08:22
Hi Maarten,

nope I was actually thinking of the original "Excalibur" ... L-049/C-69 that started it all :D
But I don't think that has even been discussed at this point since there is a quite good model already available in the form of the FSZD airplane.

Stefan

Maarten -
November 6th, 2009, 08:55
Very true! :icon_lol:

bpfowler
November 6th, 2009, 10:01
great news on the 749 front!
funny about the York, it's a very pleasing plane to handle, despite its boxy look.
Even a quality sideviewed 2d cockpit would be worth while.

regarding Willy's comment on engines, how about a reccomendation on b-29 sounds?

thanks fellers

brady....still working on learning to land the mew gull...>crash<
whoops

arl
November 6th, 2009, 11:51
..it is important for me to be able to hear her call for me when she needs me.
OBIO

Any chance of rigging up a flashing light alongside the screen controlled by a remote control?

She might prefer a bean bag firing cannon or a flame thrower, but I never suggested it. (The HouseDragon made me type that.) :a1089:

80-85 may be frustrating, but it beats 0 any day. All the best for further improvement.

OBIO
November 6th, 2009, 13:02
arl

You are totally spot on about 80/85 beating 0 any day of the week. That is a thing we are very thankful for....still doesn't prevent those days when she is frustrated/saddened by the 80/85 as she vividly remembers being 100 and being able to drive, to work, to see clearly, to smile, to eat salad and crunchy foods like carrots and nuts. I can't imagine what it must be like in her head....knowing what she knows, knowing that she was once a nurse helping to save lives, to make sick people healthy...and now being dependent upon people for some of the smallest daily tasks. All I can do is be there for her, to grit my teeth and bare the brunt of her frustration/anger when she vents and I am the only one here for her to direct those feelings toward, to support her in every way I can, and to assure her that I love her like I always have.

OBIO

OBIO
November 6th, 2009, 13:04
bp

Lawdog's B-29 sound pack is a good one...or it was when I had good speakers. If the speakers I have now were even DECENT, it would still be a great sound pack...but the speakers hooked into my computer now are really pathetic...almost no bass, no clarity, no punch.

OBIO