PDA

View Full Version : Another Airport in the works

falcon409
November 1st, 2009, 08:45
This one is not really a small airport, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I also have two others that were requested and those are also in the "get the photo image placed first" stage.

Thoe6969
November 1st, 2009, 08:50
This one is not really a small airport, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I also have two others that were requested and those are also in the "get the photo image placed first" stage. Might not be small but it's sure looking good.Fantastic work.

falcon409
November 1st, 2009, 08:58
Might not be small but it's sure looking good.Fantastic work.
Thanks. I'd really like to keep the photoimage intact right down to the taxiways and rwy's and remove the AFCAD style rwys, but I'm not sure how to go about hardening the hard surfaces (rwy, taxiway, aprons) so that you don't kick dirt up. . . .makes it look like the whole surface is dirt rather than concrete or asphalt.

MCDesigns
November 1st, 2009, 09:00
Dang, that is a challenging one, can't wait to see it finished. What airport is that?

MCDesigns
November 1st, 2009, 09:03
Thanks. I'd really like to keep the photoimage intact right down to the taxiways and rwy's and remove the AFCAD style rwys, but I'm not sure how to go about hardening the hard surfaces (rwy, taxiway, aprons) so that you don't kick dirt up. . . .makes it look like the whole surface is dirt rather than concrete or asphalt.

Ed, line up all your taxiways and then edit them from TAXI to PATH.

falcon409
November 1st, 2009, 09:13
Dang, that is a challenging one, can't wait to see it finished. What airport is that?
It's Peachtree-DeKalb in Atlanta (KPDK).

falcon409
November 1st, 2009, 09:15
Ed, line up all your taxiways and then edit them from TAXI to PATH.
But won't that still leave the AFCAD generated surface in place Michael? I want the photo image to remain, but be a hard surface that doesn't produce any dirt when taxiing or taking off?
Note:Ok, I thought I had a grasp on what you were saying here, but after going back to AFX and aligning the rwys with the image, I realized maybe I didn't know what you were talking about as I don't see any way in AFX to edit anything in that way.

NoNewMessages
November 1st, 2009, 09:31
But won't that still leave the AFCAD generated surface in place Michael? I want the photo image to remain, but be a hard surface that doesn't produce any dirt when taxiing or taking off?
Note:Ok, I thought I had a grasp on what you were saying here, but after going back to AFX and aligning the rwys with the image, I realized maybe I didn't know what you were talking about as I don't see any way in AFX to edit anything in that way.

Select the taxiway path (piece by piece?), right click, Properties, second drop down list is for Link Type. Here you can change from Taxiway to Apron Path.

MCDesigns
November 1st, 2009, 09:37
Sorry Ed, forgot you are using AFX, not sure if it is set up the same as ADE. LC explained it. In ADE when you select path instead of taxi, the surface is gone, but still displays the properties as if still there.

falcon409
November 1st, 2009, 09:46
Sorry Ed, forgot you are using AFX, not sure if it is set up the same as ADE. LC explained it. In ADE when you select path instead of taxi, the surface is gone, but still displays the properties as if still there.
Ok, I see what you guys are talking about now and that will probably work great for the taxiways, but for the rwys, there's no option to change those at all. . .if it's a rwy path, it stays a rwy path. Bummer. That's ok. . .I'll keep testing.

Thanks.

dhl1986
November 1st, 2009, 11:33
This made my day. I've spent more hours in the observation deck at this airport than I can even begin to count.

If you need any help from me or my camera, just let me know. If anything, its an excuse to go watch some planes for a couple hours.

Dain Arns
November 1st, 2009, 13:10
I have to ask, Ed. What are you using for the background photoscenery? Looks really crisp. :applause:

falcon409
November 1st, 2009, 16:09
I have to ask, Ed. What are you using for the background photoscenery? Looks really crisp.
These are photo images loaded and captured with SBuilderX via one of three tile servers and then compiled to a bgl file.