PDA

View Full Version : Frame Rates in the Dirt

OBIO
October 26th, 2009, 07:02
My frame rates are less than half they used to be. I have been playing with some of the various config tweaks....and I think they are more than my PC can handle. If I delete the config file, will the sim generate a new one so I can start over from scratch?

OBIO

rpjkw
October 26th, 2009, 07:08
OBIO, that's exactly what will happen. When you next open FS you'll need to set everything up the way you want it.

Bob

OBIO
October 26th, 2009, 08:00
Don't know why I didn't do this before posting this question...but I went in and renamed the config file then fired up my Golden Wings GA install. Set every thing back up the old way....still, my frames rates are down a bit. Usually run a rock solid 24.8 to 25 FPS (locked at 25) in Spot, 2D and VC views. Now I am getting around 20 FPS (was 10 to 12 FPS before creating a new config file). Better, but not where it should be. There are fewer services running in the back ground than before as I did a format and rebuild of my OS and reinstalled my software and utilities (all sim related stuff is on a different HD).

Will have to do some more head scratching and figure out what is going on.

OBIO

Mick
October 26th, 2009, 13:33
I believe that GW always runs a bit slower than a stock FS9. I think that's the penalty for all those beautiful textures in GW.

The fact that GW has about a million times as much AI traffic as there really was in those days might have something to do with it, too...

Once you get a good FS9.cfg file with all your settings that you like, be sure to make a copy and stash it in a safe place.

Every so often FS9 (regular FS9 or GW3) will get weird or refuse to run at all. Very often you can resolve whatever the problem is simply by overwriting the FS9.cfg file with a copy of your saved one. That's much better than just deleting and having FS grow a new one, because it saves you the trouble of setting up all your settings all over again.

OBIO
October 26th, 2009, 14:48
I've been running 24.8 to 25 FPS in GW3....so this drop in frame rates really baffled me. In my GA version of GW, frames rates were half of what they normally were...but only around one area. If I started from different airports, frame rates were back to normal. So, I fired up my Military version of GW and started from the problem airport (KMFD...my home airport) and every thing was fine. Used the same airplane in both tests (stock C172, same paint job), same mesh, GW3. The difference came down to some add on scenery stuff. In my GA version of GW3, I had three addons for my home area...one to enhance a stock strip (OI60, Gorman) into my personal flying club; one to build the float/amphib part of my personal flying club just over the hill from Gorman (named it OI61) and a addon by someone that made major corrections to the lakes around this area (including Charles Mill Lake, on which my float/amphib flying club is situated). Something within these three scenery thingies was conflicting...so I deactivated all three until I get it figured out....frame rates are back to the normal 24.9 to 25 FPS.

OBIO