PDA

View Full Version : Our newest foster "kid".

RickN
October 26th, 2008, 16:55
The wife and I do foster care for a dog rescue and I thought I would post a couple of photos of our newest "kid". :d

His name is Alabama or Bama for short. He will be with us for about 7 weeks getting heartworm treatment. Then hopefully, they can find him a good home.

Cazzie
October 26th, 2008, 17:04
Beagles are the best pet dogs I know of. But Christ Almighty do they love to chew on stuff! :d

Caz

Navy Chief
October 26th, 2008, 17:11
Just ask Prowler about Arnold!!!

NC

Corsair Freak
October 26th, 2008, 17:17
I always wanted a beagle.

Prowler1111
October 26th, 2008, 17:22
a Beagle!!! i love Beagles!! i have one and his name is Arnold....boy if i know a dog with more personality...

RickN
October 26th, 2008, 18:12
So far Bama has been very quite which may be caused by the heartworms, but he seems to be making himself at home and has adopted the wife's lap as his preferred place.

If he does get to chewing on things we will give him a tennis ball. Dogs love to chew and play with them and the wife gets bags of old balls free from the local tennis courts. Fun to watch the dogs at the rescue whenever she takes a bag full down.

He is the third dog we have fostered and it is working out great for everybody. He gets a quite place for his treatment and we get to have a dog around to help ease us over having to put our Dalmatian to sleep. We may keep things set up to foster until we are ready to have a full time dog again.

Prowler1111
October 26th, 2008, 18:50
Rick
Not sure if this is your 1st beagle, but tennis balls, if there no one at the other end of it throwing it, the amusement period will be around 3 to 5 minutes..then itīs time to chew the expensive stuff (Beagles do have a great taste for expensive stuff) say the kitchenīs breakfast tableīs legs, your wife brand new nikes, or your wife brand new purse, or some of your living furniture.....the list can go on and on and on...

Prowler

RickN
October 26th, 2008, 22:25
Prowler, normally you would be correct. We have dealt with Beagles, Dalmatians, and other attention hounds before and found they can be destructive when bored, but with the heartworms it is another story.

Right now the little fellow is so run down once around the backyard sniffing wears him out so much all he wants to do is lay there and get his ears rubbed.

When we start the treatment in about a week he will have to stay in his dog crate the first couple of weeks except for meals and to be carried outside for bathroom breaks. After that he can spend more time out of the crate for a couple of weeks but only for short stretches and outside time is on a leash. Then the next couple of weeks are spent slowly building his strength back up. All in all it is a long process treating a dog for heartworms and the dog must be kept quite with as little excitement as possible or it can kill them.

FlyTexas
October 27th, 2008, 04:01
Awww, just look at that face. We had a Beagle when I was a kid. That dog had an appetite for crayons. I'd always hit those psychedelic turds when I was mowing the lawn. :costumes:

Brian

wombat666
October 27th, 2008, 04:55
I always wanted a beagle.

We have a round half dozen ......:kilroy:
Had a few before, but this time we decided on a matched set!
Never met a Beagle I didn't like, as for the chewing, it's all a matter of training.

Our lot get beef hide chews but they have to work for their treats.
And a Beagle is great for one's health, once they get into the 'walking' routine it's a given that every day, rain or shine, a couple of Klicks are on your dance card.
I'm not sure who is looking forward to me getting back to my 5 to 10K daily runs, me or the hounds.
'Personality Dogs' Prowler ........ pick any one, Biggles, Chloe, The Duchess, Ginger, Cagney or Lacey ......:kilroy:

I'd like to get my hands on whoever let Bama end up in a shelter and infected with Heartworm!
:banghead:
Not a nice infestation for a dog to put up with but he's obviously in the right hands.

Here's hoping all goes well for the little booger.
:d

Henry
October 27th, 2008, 05:39
I love beagles :icon_lol:
My daughter has one
i have a bassett and he loves beagles too
Heartworm treatment is hard
I have a rescue great pyraneese
and she had to go through it twice
as the treatment did not work the first time
thats tough on them
good to see you being a foster parent:medals:
cheers
H

RickN
October 27th, 2008, 06:18
For those wanting a Beagle, or any other dog for that matter, I highly recommend checking out rescues in your area. Most will let you visit until you find the dog that steals your heart.

Here is the one we work with. It is aimed toward Dalmatians and Beagles but they help other dogs too. It is set up kind of funny because it started out as two separate operations with the Dalmatians being rescued by a woman, the Beagles by a man. They met, fell in love, and have been together ever since.

http://www.rockyspot.com/

http://www.okbr.org/

Snuffy
October 27th, 2008, 07:15
Beagles are the best pet dogs I know of. But Christ Almighty do they love to chew on stuff! :d

Caz

Chew hell ...

They love to dig too!

I made the mistake of getting one for the wife (now ex) "cuz I've always wanted one" she says.

I built a 8x12 kennel in the back yard from 6x6s 4x4s 1 inch exterior grade plywood and some wire fencing. I put a lot of work into this thing, it was elevated from the ground just enough to allow for circulation, it had 4 foot high fence walls and it even had a 4x8 section of it covered for weather protection. We put a full blown doghouse inside the kennel with pine fodder and cedar chips. Nice and homey.

He started by chewing on the dog house, after 6 months we had to buy a replacement. But he wasn't satisfied with that either, and soon I noticed that there was a strange accumulation of what looked to be shredded wood outside the door of that dog house. After investigating, I found the rat was trying to tunnel his way out of the kennel, and chose to start his escape from inside his dog house.

I came home from work one day to find a major pile of dirt extending from the front of the dog house and after checking found that the dog had moved the doghouse from over the hole he created in the 1 inch plywood and had actually hit the ground and had easily dug a 4 foot deep pit under the kennel.

I could go on and on ... but I'll end the story short ...

The problem we found out was he didn't like being caged. We bought into the wireless fence routine ... and left the door to the kennel open and the digging stopped.

But talk about a stubborn dog. He'd run through the fence with the collar whistlin and him yelping from the reminder that he wasn't supposed to be going the direction he was. We'd come home to find him sitting on the wrong side of the fence and wanting back into the property.

I have very mixed emotions about beagles. :banghead::costumes:

RickN
October 27th, 2008, 07:34
One thing about Beagles I have noticed over the years, they hate to be alone. Maybe we have only seen one side, but every Beagle I have known that had a second dog to play with or someone home with it all the time giving lots of attention has been pretty good. Everyone with to much time alone seems to have problems.

Henry
October 27th, 2008, 08:04
One thing about Beagles I have noticed over the years, they hate to be alone. Maybe we have only seen one side, but every Beagle I have known that had a second dog to play with or someone home with it all the time giving lots of attention has been pretty good. Everyone with to much time alone seems to have problems.
very true
H