PDA

View Full Version : porting eto stuff across to cfs3

gaw
October 26th, 2008, 15:21
hey gurus.........can we drop the effects.xml and the effects/fx textures straight across without the world imploding???.....first attempt seems to work with a many nice ETO details appearing in CFS3. Lewis's muzzle stuff a great add.....words of warning???........any thoughts/reminders??.............THANKS.....gaw

lewis11777
October 26th, 2008, 16:56
I did it and I only noticed one draw back, the first time I fire the guns from a plane or the plane explodes in a new game, I get the white squares. This only happens once with each plane and will not repeat until a new game is started. At first I thought it was a missing texture but then it should duplicate the white square thing every time a certain effect occurs. Also those are not my muzzle effects these are Dancat's.

loverboy1
October 26th, 2008, 18:03
i imported the eto missions and added the spawns and facilities and used the proper planes for missions no issues works fine

gaw
October 27th, 2008, 05:15
yeah.....I get em too. no duplicates in the fx textures folder....there's a double call for fire_108a in fx_30mm_muzzle and an empty effect 7 in fx_20mm_muzzle but removing them doesn't change things....maybe O1 can lift a leg on this.....perhaps a conflict with muzzle flash called for by the game???? Let's poodle around w/ this a bit....be nice to resolve the squares thing

writer301
October 27th, 2008, 05:43
yeah.....I get em too. no duplicates in the fx textures folder....there's a double call for fire_108a in fx_30mm_muzzle and an empty effect 7 in fx_20mm_muzzle but removing them doesn't change things....maybe O1 can lift a leg on this.....perhaps a conflict with muzzle flash called for by the game???? Let's poodle around w/ this a bit....be nice to resolve the squares thing

GAW ...

Try leaving the ETO fxtextures in place and go back to the original effects.xml in the main CFS3 folder ... see how that works for you :ernae:

oki
October 28th, 2008, 04:07
I haven't tried it yet, but I would love to lump ETO and my heavily edited cfs3 main install together. The effects.xml files could be merged, the fx textures, pylons, aircraft etc. added to the right sub-folders. When picking an ETO campaign, it would mean switching to ETO mode, so to speak, and it should be possible to run it smoothly.....(or not?)

the best way to put both together would be to prepare a separate install and then just move the contents of the subfolders over

I know, the ETO people hate that idea, but has somebody tried ?

O-1Driver
October 28th, 2008, 06:19
I haven't tried it yet, but I would love to lump ETO and my heavily edited cfs3 main install together. The effects.xml files could be merged, the fx textures, pylons, aircraft etc. added to the right sub-folders. When picking an ETO campaign, it would mean switching to ETO mode, so to speak, and it should be possible to run it smoothly.....(or not?)

the best way to put both together would be to prepare a separate install and then just move the contents of the subfolders over

I know, the ETO people hate that idea, but has somebody tried ?
.................................................. ...............................................
That would probably be the best way to do it. Also white squares are the result of a missing FX texture and or a preload issue.

One Word of Caution: Most stock aircraft, ships, vehicles, facilities, buildings, and other items have been modified and are no longer stock CFS 3 in nature. New guns, weapons and effects have been added to them. All stock flak has been removed from the stock facilities. You will need to move all of the above over to make it work properly. It is all inter related and you will end up with a Witches Brew of never ending problems if you don't.

If you are going to merge ETO with a modified CFS 3 you could overwrite existing items you already have in place if the are based on stock items. ETO is heavily modified and almost every single stock item has been modified in some fashion.

Hope this helps,

O-1

loverboy1
October 28th, 2008, 06:52
I DID NOTICE ... if you import from eto all planes , facilities , spawns , objects , effects ,

the odd duplication on planes might appear no harm , and all works fine .

for me under vista quad core

im wondering ..

i will say the battle of missions are great and really super graphics

oki
October 28th, 2008, 11:05
I guess I install ETO separately first (as should be) and try to carefully feed it into the cfs3 instal overwriting all stock stuff, I am sure it will improve the whole game....:jump:

loverboy1
October 28th, 2008, 11:07
real point ....is why merge for me , ,its to keep in one game , i still keep separate the eto

oki
October 28th, 2008, 11:28
other than the MAW, the ETO is in terms of scenery, aircraft etc. comparable to the stock version, so why not get rid of the stock as far as possible and have a much better game......

cargomann
October 28th, 2008, 12:13
I'm also in merging process, transferring everything into the ETO install. First step for me was the aircraft shared files and sound files, then the pylons / guns and weapons... in order to smoothly install the old aircrafts into the new ETO.
Now I have also transferred the ships, and starting all vehicles.... but in the meantime the aircrafts also... :mixedsmi:
after that I will check the other files (sounds, effects, weather...) an finally will start with the missions... (I have already made some 'pre-check' :d)

gaw
October 29th, 2008, 07:01
thanks O1...........sparation of church and state....will do. The temptation to tinker with a perfectly good install is dreadful and so often ends in tears....when will I learn?

oki
October 29th, 2008, 07:31
I know what you mean....:d