PDA

View Full Version : Win7 install C drive FSX on D drive

runswithscissors
October 23rd, 2009, 15:05
Hi there, I am watching and wondering if Win7 64 bit is worth going to from my present Vista 64 OS. I am using this box strictly for FSX. Also I was wondering as I have Vista on its own Hd 150 Gb raptor and FSX on its own 300 Gb VeloRaptor. Will I have to reinstall both the OS and FSX or just the OS on the C drive. Thanks.
Doug
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

crashaz
October 23rd, 2009, 17:36
Going to have to reinstall both. The OS is a no brainer... the FSX installed files will still be there... but with not the proper registry settings. I am sure others will jump in here as well.
:wavey:

BladeLWS
October 23rd, 2009, 17:39
Went to 64bit 7 from vista. Works like a charm, FSX runs GREAT.

crashaz
October 23rd, 2009, 17:41
Hmmm that is good news then. :applause:

peter12213
October 23rd, 2009, 18:21
out of interest as I'm buying a new pc very shortly, how is windows 7 comparing to vista or my beloved XP sp3? does it help our sim at all? I mean will it still run fs2004 models in Accel?

BladeLWS
October 23rd, 2009, 19:02
It definitely helps the sim a ton. With the FPS limiter off I was getting 100FPS and jumps up to 200FPS with dinos Tomcat and Iris's F-16, however with it unlimited I was getting stutters so I have it locked at 50FPS. It holds 50FPS in these aircraft while over FlyTampa's TNCM scenery, with everything on high except for scenery on normal and autogen on sparse. I would probably get 20FPS with Vista. The install transferred over all programs and file and registry, I only had to reactivate FSX with windows. Going to do the cross the pond on vatsim tomorrow so we'll see how it handles that!

runswithscissors
October 23rd, 2009, 19:16
So it sounds like win7 is really worth the time that is involved for me to install both the OS and FSX.

Doug

dexthom
October 24th, 2009, 09:21
I run Win 7 on the C driver, I upgraded Vista and had and still have FSX on a separate drive designated D works just fine.

big-mike
October 24th, 2009, 09:46
Okay,But do you have many Addons for FSX installed,or is it a "naked" FSX?
I have doubts,if the registy will not be overwritten and several Addons will not work afterwards.
I think,it`s like the repair-function.This also only works with a naked FSX.I´ve tried it a long time ago
with the result,that i had to install everything new.
Michael

BladeLWS
October 24th, 2009, 09:51
Okay,But do you have many Addons for FSX installed,or is it a "naked" FSX?
I have doubts,if the registy will not be overwritten and several Addons will not work afterwards.
I think,it`s like the repair-function.This also only works with a naked FSX.I´ve tried it a long time ago
with the result,that i had to install everything new.
Michael

All of my addons work just fine, flying the PMDG MD-11 right now on the cross the pond flight. Used the Aerosoft F-16 last night also, no problems.

runswithscissors
October 24th, 2009, 10:15
Hey what the heck, I am going to give the Buy & Try it a go.

Doug

dexthom
October 24th, 2009, 10:17
I have numerous addons and I have not encountered any problems. Go do it!

stansdds
October 24th, 2009, 10:37
It definitely helps the sim a ton. With the FPS limiter off I was getting 100FPS and jumps up to 200FPS with dinos Tomcat and Iris's F-16, however with it unlimited I was getting stutters so I have it locked at 50FPS. It holds 50FPS in these aircraft while over FlyTampa's TNCM scenery, with everything on high except for scenery on normal and autogen on sparse. I would probably get 20FPS with Vista. The install transferred over all programs and file and registry, I only had to reactivate FSX with windows. Going to do the cross the pond on vatsim tomorrow so we'll see how it handles that!
Wow! What sort of hardware you running?

BladeLWS
October 24th, 2009, 11:25
Core i7 920 O/C to 3.7Ghz, Nvidia GTX280's in SLI, Rampage Formula 2 MOBO, 6GIG RAM

stansdds
October 24th, 2009, 16:20
I see, quad core overclocked to 3.7 Ghz and dual high end video cards in SLI. Well... I can always dream. :icon29:

Bjoern
October 25th, 2009, 14:57
Well... I can always dream. :icon29:

Better dream of the i7 only, SLI does nada for FSX. ;)