PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Buildings

OBIO
October 20th, 2009, 23:00
I have a few of Leon Louis's scenery packages installed and have noticed something odd. Not sure if it is something in the packages or what...but on a few of them I have seen black phantom buildings that appear for just a split second right as my flight starts and I have gotten building crashes when rolling my aircraft through some of these areas. Is this a problem in GW3, Leon's scenery, or could it be a problem with scenery confict (though I don't have much installed in terms of scenery...just the packages that came with Bill Lyon's aircraft, the half dozen or so Leon scenery packages, a BGL for the Bonneville Salt Flats, and a scenery enhancement I did on the stock OI60 (Gorman, Mansfield, Ohio) to turn it into my personal flight club strip). Mesh is Rhumbaflappy's LOD5, 7 and 8 packages, which surely would not cause the phantom buildings as it only shapes the terrain and does not add any scenery objects.

OBIO

mrogers
October 21st, 2009, 00:09
Sounds like some textures are missing. Maybe you'll have to download some additional files for them. The readmes in Leon Louis' packages might have some clues maybe?

OBIO
October 21st, 2009, 02:37
the phantom buildings are BIG buildings....more like something you would see in a major city...not out in the country where Leon's scenery is located. Even with missing textures, the buildings would show up...they would just be gray or white or something. these buildings are visible for just a tiny moment, then go away...but they are still there causing building crashes.

obio

Willy
October 21st, 2009, 10:06
I've had building crashes like that on stock airports. Just be taxiing along and CRASH! Can't say what causes it other than a bug.

Desert Rat
October 21st, 2009, 11:37
Me too Willy, and I'm as clueless as to the cause also.:isadizzy:

srgalahad
October 21st, 2009, 13:12
There have been a few of those 'events' reported. In some cases it may be that the builder didn't adequately remove autogen or a previous AFCAD/airport; or a legacy was left from testing buildings during the build. You might be able to find the culprits using SBuilder or other scenery program... but a few have also been checked with nothing found and been put down to Mr. Murphy Microsoft being out to get you.

I know with Leon's bush strips there shouldn't be pre-existing buildings but...???

Rob

Mick
October 21st, 2009, 13:17
Here's my guess.

I've noted that FS tends to put big buildings in completely inappropriate places. Office towers in the middle of the desert, downtown commercial neighborhoods in wilderness, and so on. It's because the stock FS9 landclass is pretty poor in many parts of the FS world.

My guess is that Leon found some of those buildings where he wanted to place his sceneries, and he made them disappear by putting new buildings over them (simple textured boxes would be all they had to be), then painting those buildings invisible using the alpha channel.

You see the buildings - or more likely, the textured boxes he put over them - for a brief flash until the textures load and make them invisible.

This is pure guesswork, but it seems to explain the known facts in a simple, plausible way.

You could test this theory by temporarily removing the texture folder from one of Leon's scenery folders, then going there and looking for big structures with no apparent purpose.

OBIO
October 21st, 2009, 17:51
Mick

Your guess is as good as any...and most likey is right on the nose. Stock FS2004 does some odd things with scenery.

OBIO