PDA

View Full Version : Request Help for FSX Graphics Snag

HighGround22
October 20th, 2009, 17:05
I'm hoping someone can identify a problem I'm currently having with my graphics, and perhaps suggest a fix for this irritating problem.

Everything was peachy before I "dismantled" my FSX. When I put things back together again, everything seemed just as good as it was. But once airborne, a new problem arose.

Large areas of the scenery, outside an (apporiximately) two-mile radius would show as a Great White Void. Just like a blanket of snow, with maybe a few tree twigs sticking up through. This would be ahead, and to either side. Looks odd in the tropics!

But as I approach, the areas clarify into the proper scenery, while new Great White Voids are forming ahead of me.

I cannot think of what has changed -- nothing that I know of; no changed scenery, same vid card, et cetera -- no changes.

But obviously something's amiss!! Has anyone seen this before, and found a fix?

Cheers, and TIA

harleyman
October 20th, 2009, 18:36
What do you mean by Dismanteled FSX?

It seems that some scenery files are out of place..

maybe doing a FSX repair option from the install disks can fix it ..

Do you have GEX or UTX or any other addons like that installed?

HighGround22
October 23rd, 2009, 15:11
Sorry I didn't get back to comment, Harleyman. But I was more than a bit frustrated by the simple fact that I couldn't easily articulate the problem any more than I already had: Any and all scenery beyond a radius of approx. two miles was blank, with vertical "hairs" jutting up out of the blank terrain.

Long story short, after much investigation and speculation, I ended-up doing a "Repair" to both FSX and to Acceleration. And that fixed the pea-pickin' problem 100%. Haven't a clue what specific file was amiss, though.

A possibly interesting point of detail, however: I have two "DVD drives", a "Reader" and a "Burner". Normally I use the reader for installing programs, and this last event was no exception. But I'd been noticing a few "glitches", of late.

I'm assuming that's what caused the problem -- the fritzy reader caused a corrupted mesh-type file, or something like that. So this time, I did the "Repair" jobs with the burner. And all is now well. QED, I suppose.

So I'll recognize that problem, should it ever arise again, and I'll know the workable course of action, to boot.

Hope this follow-up can help some poor besieged soul in future.