PDA

View Full Version : Two new toys at the airport to play with...

Wittpilot
October 18th, 2009, 17:22
Look at what arrived this week..... brings our airport twin beech total to 3!..... warbird total to 8..

Wittpilot
October 18th, 2009, 17:23
EDIT... Those are two separate airplanes...

Willy
October 18th, 2009, 17:51
Are they going to get them airworthy? If so, I wish them the best of luck with the main spars.

TARPSBird
October 18th, 2009, 18:46
Some assembly required...:frown:

viking3
October 18th, 2009, 19:02
Holy Bugsmashers Batman!!!! Looks like your Christmas came early.:santahat: Got to love Beech 18s.(right Milton:applause:)

Regards, Rob:ernae:

Willy
October 18th, 2009, 19:14
A Beech 18 always gets my attention. Hope that they aren't parts planes for the one they already have.

OBIO
October 18th, 2009, 20:56
Just out of curiosity, how many first class stamps does it take to mail a D-18 now days? Would not want to have to shell out the shipping charges on those puppies.

I also hope that they are going to be restored to airworthiness, if possible. From what little I know, which really isn't much at all, the main spars of the D-18 can be a big killjoy when it comes to getting them back into the sky.

OBIO

Lionheart
October 18th, 2009, 21:25
Very nice Witt!

Quickly working up to a huge fleet!

I hope their restoration goes smooth and swift.

Bill

Allen
October 18th, 2009, 21:39
Some assembly required...:frown:

Some?:isadizzy: Lots assembly required...:mad:

jmig
October 19th, 2009, 03:15
Nice acquisition Witt. Looks like they lost some tail feathers. :)

Wittpilot
October 19th, 2009, 12:52
First to answer Willy...
I believe the plan will to make one airworthy, and one static.... One airframe was in half decent shape, the other has seen some severe time outside in the elements...

To answer Obio....
They actually gained the help of a gentleman named Taigh Ramey... a fairly well-known entity in the Beech 18 community... He actually designed a special trailer specifically built for the purpose of moving Beech 18 airframes.....

Look at it here:
http://www.twinbeech.com/
on the left click on "Beech 18 Ground Transportation"

-witt

Willy
October 19th, 2009, 13:59
I've heard of Ramey and his trailer before. Nifty idea.

Hope they succeed in getting one airworthy. When they first discovered the spar issues back in the 70s and the FAA directives came out about it, a lot of Twin Beeches were pretty much grounded as it cost more to to get them into compliance than what the aircraft was worth back then. That's one reason you find so many of them sitting around in sad shape.

It's a shame no one is doing the Beech 18 like Antilles is the Goose.