PDA

View Full Version : Allison Ranch Airstrip Scenery

Dangerousdave26
October 15th, 2009, 06:17
Uploaded just today for Tom Clayton and anyone else who wants a real flying challenge.

Please read the Read Me files for all the Object Libraries you will need to down load.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=15149

Have fun

Dave

Tom Clayton
October 15th, 2009, 07:46
Yes!!!

Thanks Dave! I'll see if I can get some stick time later today!:ernae:

Sidney Schwartz
October 15th, 2009, 09:54
Downloading now.... :ernae:

dogknot
October 15th, 2009, 10:49
Thanks, Dave! It looks great and works great with FSGenesis 38m freeware mesh. A fun and challenging strip. :applause: :applause:

Astoroth
October 16th, 2009, 18:07
Thanks Dave! I have a few addons in the area and this makes another great stopover. Works great with my FSGenesis 38m mesh, like Dognot said. Well done!

Sidney Schwartz
October 17th, 2009, 09:53
So far this has proved too difficult for my modest piloting skills. Looks to me like you have to start your turn onto final before even having the strip in site, otherwise it's too late. You also have to be only slightly above the strip altitude because you only have a couple of seconds to get the wheels on the ground. Obviously not for the pilot who is not extremely familiar with the approach. If I hadn't seen the video with the Kodiak, I woudn't have believed it was possible. It's cool, though, how much the approach view in FS9 looks like the video.

For those who like flying in Idaho, I've enhanced about 8 airports there, and McCall (where the flight to Allison Ranch departs from) is in Pete & Sid's volume 3. :wavey:

Tom Clayton
October 17th, 2009, 12:20
I finally got to try it out - I love it! And I agree with you Sid, I was thinking the same thing about the video! I have the Kodiak, and was just barely able to get it in, even though I actually landed a little right of center.:isadizzy: You need something that can stop extremely short. I tried out the new Puss Moth and couldn't even get that one stopped before I was climbing the hills on the far end! Sid, if you come in just a little high and stall just at the edge of the drop-off at a few feet off the ground, you can drop in at the slowest speed possible. Just watch out for gear damage!

Oh, and I'm sticking this one!!!

Sidney Schwartz
October 17th, 2009, 17:49
Well, I'm too dumb to give up so I kept at it. Removing a big stand of autogen trees blocking the path to the runway was a big help. :icon_lol: I also flattened out a lip on the rim of the ravine that was forcing me to come in too high. So far I've managed one or two decent landings in the Beaver (and lots of not so good ones). :ernae:

I've never used the FS9 "video" recorder much. Does anyone know if record a video of this approach and landing and send it to someone else, will they be able to run it even if they don't have the same plane I was flying when I recorded it?

bull494
October 17th, 2009, 20:15
A very well done strip! My initial approach was too high and I missed the strip completely. This should prove to be a demanding place to fly into.

James

Dangerousdave26
October 17th, 2009, 20:45
Well, I'm too dumb to give up so I kept at it. Removing a big stand of autogen trees blocking the path to the runway was a big help. :icon_lol: I also flattened out a lip on the rim of the ravine that was forcing me to come in too high. So far I've managed one or two decent landings in the Beaver (and lots of not so good ones). :ernae:

I've never used the FS9 "video" recorder much. Does anyone know if record a video of this approach and landing and send it to someone else, will they be able to run it even if they don't have the same plane I was flying when I recorded it?

You have me beat so far. I have only one successful landing and it was ugly.

As far as the default recorder is concered it will pop up a message that initilizaion of xyz aircraft has failed.

Then it will load what ever plane the person is in at the moment and play the clip.

So it seems you could email the clip to someone else and it would work.

Glad you all enjoy the scenery :guinness:

Dave

dandog
October 17th, 2009, 21:53
Well, I have been flying Miltons AC500 "OUT" of the strip. Not exactly easy but do-able. Tried landing it a few times and had various shades of "Crash". I am going to do it though!!!! Very close at this moment. The last 90 degree to the runway bleeds off too much altitude. Maybe if I just come in a little faster, or higher, or more flaps, or.....? :isadizzy:

Sidney Schwartz
October 18th, 2009, 00:09
What's worked for me is approaching the strip at an altitude of 2800', which on my setup is about 100' agl, and as slow as I can manage. In the Beaver I've got the flaps fully extended and maintaining about 60 kias, which is touchdown speed. As I make the turn I drop the final 100'. If I manage to land I celebrate by changing into some clean underwear. :icon_lol:

Brian_Gladden
October 18th, 2009, 03:57
Anyone tried it with the combination of FS Genesis' 38 mesh and Ultimate terrain? UT should fix the river part.

Brian

Tom Clayton
October 18th, 2009, 08:52
I have FSG freeware for the area, but not UT. The river is still in the right spot though thanks to the package. I also inserted a tower view above the strip on the side of the mountain, then deleted my Autower (http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=94422) dat file. Now I've got this outstanding view of my crashes in replay mode!:isadizzy:

I managed to get the RealAir modified C172 down withoug bending anything one time out of three attempts. The other to ended up with me on the side of the hill! And the one time I made it, I had the left wingtip about two inches off the ground when the first wheel hit!:mixedsmi:

Sidney Schwartz
October 18th, 2009, 17:47
OK. After MANY attempts...

http://www.vanisleva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9882

Here's a link for downloading the little FS9 video I recorded. If you don't have some version of a wheeled Beaver, try the default Piper Cub. Position it at Allison Ranch and then play the video. FS9 will tell you that it can't find my plane but will play the video using whatever plane you have loaded.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/Z01PRm84Q1BTSUJFQlE9PQ

UKVoodoo
October 19th, 2009, 08:53

If you use fs-recorder rather then fs2004's recorder and the receiver of the files has same scenery mesh and aircraft they can play it back from any tower spot or cockpit veiw they like :applause:

Matt

Tom Clayton
October 19th, 2009, 12:54
As far as I know, the stock recording method will do that too. In essence, it's a portable instant replay.

Dangerousdave26
October 19th, 2009, 14:13
As far as I know, the stock recording method will do that too. In essence, it's a portable instant replay.

Thats correct

The stock recorder does not have all the bells and whistles that FS Recorder does but it is not needed for this type of play back.

I down loaded it and watched it.

Far better than I have been able to expend time in doing.

Who made that Beaver Sidney?

The panel looks real nice.

Believe it or not I am going to release an update...

I found out I forgot to take out one Apron center line for parking spot number 2. Which really Peeves me off as I thought about it just before I released it.

It will change nothing else just get rid of the yellow line on the grass. :icon_lol:

UKVoodoo
October 19th, 2009, 14:49
Stock recorder is jerky as hell for me with FS9 which is why I use fs-recorder

Tom Clayton
October 19th, 2009, 15:40
Try setting the recorder to to ¼ second intervals.

Sidney Schwartz
October 19th, 2009, 16:14
Who made that Beaver Sidney?
That's the Aerosoft Beaver.

It will change nothing else just get rid of the yellow line on the grass. :icon_lol:
Already did that myself. :icon_lol:

LouP
October 19th, 2009, 17:19
Good scenery, thank you. Anyone know if there is anymore work done for this area, it's a great place to fly! :jump:

LouP :applause:

bull494
October 19th, 2009, 17:53
For anyone interested, I stumbled across another video on youtube of Allison ranch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bC4wE7Uues

Be aware that the site is supposed to undergo maintenance very soon, so I do not know if it can be watched or not at that time.

James

LouP
October 19th, 2009, 18:19
Let's just say I was determined :).

Also seems that I have a common problem where my textures are missing on the house next door, anyone have any ideas how to fix this. I know that duplicate textures can cause this but I have not had any luck with these issues in tha past and would like to fix this one.

LouP

Sidney Schwartz
October 19th, 2009, 18:26
Good scenery, thank you. Anyone know if there is anymore work done for this area, it's a great place to fly! :jump:
Uh, read message #6 in this thread... :mixedsmi:

bull494
October 19th, 2009, 21:11
So far this has proved too difficult for my modest piloting skills. Looks to me like you have to start your turn onto final before even having the strip in site, otherwise it's too late. You also have to be only slightly above the strip altitude because you only have a couple of seconds to get the wheels on the ground. Obviously not for the pilot who is not extremely familiar with the approach. If I hadn't seen the video with the Kodiak, I woudn't have believed it was possible. It's cool, though, how much the approach view in FS9 looks like the video.

For those who like flying in Idaho, I've enhanced about 8 airports there, and McCall (where the flight to Allison Ranch departs from) is in Pete & Sid's volume 3. :wavey:

I have downloaded all of the airports you have done and am searching around for the object libraries I need to make the scenery work. It is slow going as the links in the readme won't work because the files have not been restored in the AVSIM library (I have been using Flightsim.com). Looks like you have some pretty nice scenery there and I look forward to making a short hoplist in and around Idaho.

James

LouP
October 19th, 2009, 21:34
Thanks Sidney,

Next time I'll read more carefully. I installed the sceneries and will check them out tomorrow, need to get some sleep. Also, Is there any way to know what bgl and texture files are associated with the building to the right in my pitcure? I have had these issues before and tried in vain to hunt down duplicate files to no avail. Maybe if I knew what to look for, it would help.

Thanks,
LouP

UKVoodoo
October 20th, 2009, 08:30
Try setting the recorder to to ¼ second intervals.

Yeah tried and still encountered the problem, googled it and it would seem for a lot of ppl it either works or doesnt(good old MS :kilroy:)

Cant complain tho fs-recorder saved the day :icon29:

Sidney Schwartz
October 20th, 2009, 10:14
It is slow going as the links in the readme won't work because the files have not been restored in the AVSIM library (I have been using Flightsim.com).
Instead of searching for each individual library on Flightsim.com, try doing a search on my name, Sidney Schwartz. That will give you a list of everything I have on that site. Even though the file names are different there it should be pretty easy for you to figure out which ones are which.

I hope you enjoy the sceneries. Idaho has tons of great places to fly and has been largely ignored by scenery designers. Jon Loney's done a nice version of Twin Falls...the file number is ktwf_v1.zip. I'm pretty sure there's a version of Pocatello out there too. :wavey:

Sidney Schwartz
October 20th, 2009, 10:18
Also, Is there any way to know what bgl and texture files are associated with the building to the right in my pitcure? I have had these issues before and tried in vain to hunt down duplicate files to no avail. Maybe if I knew what to look for, it would help.

I didn't see a pic attached to that post, Lou. Could you uploading it again please? Or just email it to me at sidney.schwartz [at] comcast.net :wavey:

LouP
October 20th, 2009, 13:41
Hi Sidney,

I'm still at work right now but the pitcure is on the fourth post from the top of this page. You can see the textureless building on the right hand side of the pitcure.

Thanks again for the sceneries. Seems like WA had gotten all the early attention and ID was overlooked somehow. Too bad because this place has a ton of potential for some interesting flying.

LouP

Sidney Schwartz
October 20th, 2009, 16:18
Ha ha! Sorry, thought that was your signature. My stoopid. :isadizzy:

I'll have a look at it and hopefully let you know later tonight what the texture files are for that building.

aeromed202
October 20th, 2009, 17:14
Very nice scenery, I love challenges. I made it in and out with a Gipland Airvan so I tried a Caribou. I just made it but we're also having venison for dinner.:icon_lol:

Dangerousdave26
October 20th, 2009, 19:17
Very nice scenery, I love challenges. I made it in and out with a Gipland Airvan so I tried a Caribou. I just made it but we're also having venison for dinner.:icon_lol:

:applause: Steaks or Burger :icon_lol:

Sidney Schwartz
October 20th, 2009, 20:29
Lou, the building in question is hanger_old_02 from library ez-vintage hangers.bgl. The associated textures are:

hanger old 2 a.bmp
hanger old 2 a_LM.bmp
hanger old 2 b.bmp
hanger old 2 b_LM.bmp
hanger old 2 c.bmp
hanger old 2 door.bmp
hanger old 2 roof.bmp
hanger old 2 siding.bmp

The problem is almost certainly a duplicate of the object or of the entire library. Hope this helps you track it down. :ernae:

bull494
October 21st, 2009, 05:49
Instead of searching for each individual library on Flightsim.com, try doing a search on my name, Sidney Schwartz. That will give you a list of everything I have on that site. Even though the file names are different there it should be pretty easy for you to figure out which ones are which.

I hope you enjoy the sceneries. Idaho has tons of great places to fly and has been largely ignored by scenery designers. Jon Loney's done a nice version of Twin Falls...the file number is ktwf_v1.zip. I'm pretty sure there's a version of Pocatello out there too. :wavey:
Thanks, and I will look into Twin Falls as well.

James

LouP
October 22nd, 2009, 15:50
No luck with the textures. Can not find any dup texture files. Matter of fact, I needed to add some as I must of lost some in my attempt to correct this before, but still no dice. Any other ideas? I love to solve this. :running:

Thanks,
LouP

Sidney Schwartz
October 22nd, 2009, 20:36
Lou, I can't claim to be a technical expert in any of this stuff, but I'm pretty certain that this problem is not caused by duplicate textures, but by duplicate library bgls. More specifically, by library objects with duplicate guid numbers. Each object is assigned a randomly generated guid number, and each objects' guid should be unique. FS9 identifies scenery objects soley by their guid...it doesn't care about the name of the objects or the name of the library that it's in. If it finds two or more objects with the same guid, confusion results and that object is either not displayed or is displayed without textures.

Did you try searching for duplicate copies of ez-vintage hangers.bgl?

CG_1976
October 22nd, 2009, 21:04
Sidney, by chance you wouldnt know of any scenery for Montana would you?

Sidney Schwartz
October 22nd, 2009, 23:36
Montana? Heck yeah. Lauren Robison's two volumes of Montana Scenery will give you over two dozen airports, and she does some of the nicest scenery I've seen. Here are the links:

http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=109658

http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=123317

Pete & Sid's Scenery Volume 4 includes Glacier Park (Kalispell), West Yellowstone and Mission-Livingston. Also Cody and Jackson Hole in Wyoming. And Jon Loney has done a version of Laramie, Wyoming you can get here...

http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=105364

Those should keep you busy for a while. :ernae:

LouP
October 23rd, 2009, 15:27
Lou, I can't claim to be a technical expert in any of this stuff, but I'm pretty certain that this problem is not caused by duplicate textures, but by duplicate library bgls. More specifically, by library objects with duplicate guid numbers. Each object is assigned a randomly generated guid number, and each objects' guid should be unique. FS9 identifies scenery objects soley by their guid...it doesn't care about the name of the objects or the name of the library that it's in. If it finds two or more objects with the same guid, confusion results and that object is either not displayed or is displayed without textures.

Did you try searching for duplicate copies of ez-vintage hangers.bgl?

Boy that would explain a lot, thank you. I'll look for the dups.

LouP

LouP
October 24th, 2009, 12:46
Well I am so glad I had this issue as it forced me to finally take some action. When I started digging into this, I was expecting to find a few duplicate files to resolve the problem even though I suspected that this was most likely just the tip of the iceberg. I've been hunting for duplicate texture files and thanks to Sidney, started looking for the duplicate bgl files instead. Too my shock, I found that I had 896 duplicate bgl file activated in my install. When examing them, I realized that this was really something that would have been hard to prevent as the duplicates were the result of several different scenery installations and some installations even had the bgl files renamed so that they appeared to be different but were really the same underneath. I moved the duplicates to a safe place, started up FS and not only was my problem at Allison resolved, but the sim actually seemed to run better. All my missing textures from down in New Zealand are now there and some for the first time. I am so happy! :jump:

I can't say enough about this little program: http://www.easyduplicatefinder.com/ that helped me fix my problem. If you use this and find that you have dups also, I suggest that you move and not delete them just in case.

Thank you,
LouP :ernae:

Sidney Schwartz
October 24th, 2009, 19:26
Too my shock, I found that I had 896 duplicate bgl file activated in my install.

Man, that's serious case of data constipation. :eek:

There seems to be a fair amount of ignorance about the concept of shared scenery object libraries, on the part of both scenery users and designers. Designers who make scenery using objects from shared libraries should NEVER package the libraries with their scenery. They should instruct the user to download from Avsim (or wherever) whatever scenery libraries they will need AND DON'T ALREADY HAVE. Making copies of bgls and renaming them is a particularly horrid idea. :banghead:

I'm glad you were able to get it all sorted out. And thanks for the pointer to that program. It's really useful to have something that finds duplicate files based on content rather than just the name. :ernae:

Dangerousdave26
October 25th, 2009, 14:47
896 Holy Wow

Glad you found the problem

Thanks for the link to the duplicate finder.

Sidney you are completely correct. Scenery Libraries are so you don't have to down load the files more than once.

I would have never thought that was done. :isadizzy:

Dave

Sidney Schwartz
October 25th, 2009, 15:07
To be fair, you can't expect someone who isn't a scenery designer, or someone who is new to scenery design, to know about these "under the hood" sorts of things. I sure didn't know when I started. I try to make it clear in my scenery readme files that the user should only download those scenery libraries they don't already have, but I've noticed that few other scenery designers do the same. Oh well...in return for the occassional problems we get lots of cool free scenery. And people like me get to feed their scenery making habit. :jump:

smilo
October 25th, 2009, 17:02
Thanks, Dave! It looks great and works great with FSGenesis 38m freeware mesh. A fun and challenging strip. :applause: :applause:

Thanks Dave! I have a few addons in the area and this makes another great stopover. Works great with my FSGenesis 38m mesh, like Dognot said. Well done!

okay, I'm a little off topic,
but where does one go to get FSGenesis 38m mesh?
I searched and searched and finally found a link to AvSim,
but the files are still missing.
any suggestions, please

Dangerousdave26
October 25th, 2009, 17:07
Most certainly not off topic.

This little scenery was all about terrain and Mesh's

You can find it here.

http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

smilo
October 25th, 2009, 17:24
thanks Dave,
I'm on the way.

as soon as I look at the auto intall/splash screen thread
:monkies:

smilo
October 25th, 2009, 17:33
well, I couldn't wait,
so I went right to the fsgenesis link.
sorry for being a tight wad,
but I thought it was freeware.

Tom Clayton
October 25th, 2009, 17:35
Their FS9 freeware is no longer on their site. AvSim has the big packs (BIG - as in the entire Rockies in one d/l - over 700MB!). Unfortunately, I don't see the Rockies pack anywhere else.

smilo
October 25th, 2009, 17:39
unfortunately, there is the AvSim logo with
sorry, file can not be found
next to all of the fsgenesis entries.
dang it!!!
I would love to get the Pacific Northwest

Tom Clayton
October 25th, 2009, 17:42
The entire library is currently offline again. I haven't heard anything about an ETA to being online again.

smilo
October 25th, 2009, 18:20
from the screenies I've seen,
I'm sure that it will be worth the wait...

Sidney Schwartz
October 29th, 2009, 10:41
I wouldn't have believed it....!

http://www.vanisleva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9936

Dangerousdave26
October 29th, 2009, 15:10
:jawdrop: I would have bet $$$ that could not be done. :applause:

srgalahad
October 29th, 2009, 15:11
well, I couldn't wait,
so I went right to the fsgenesis link.
sorry for being a tight wad,
but I thought it was freeware.

I'm a tightwad too. Took me 5 years in FS9 to buy a payware plane ( I know have 6)

but FSGenesis got my $$ right away... esp. since I got the CD's.
If you note on their site it's on sale til the end of the month and FAR cheaper to buy the world than a couple of small areas

Rob

smilo
October 29th, 2009, 16:44
well, looks like I'm SOL
the end of the month is in a few days
and I don't do credit cards or any of that stuff.
so it goes.

Sunny9850
October 31st, 2009, 18:11
:jawdrop: I would have bet $$$ that could not be done. :applause:

First of ...thanks for the great little scenery Dave. It is a blast to fly in and out of in just about any airplane.
Since I am lucky enough to be part of Manfred's Connie team I do have the keys to the soon to be released L-749 and ...as they say one thing lead to another....and while it was certainly not the easiest landing in the Connie it worked out relatively good.

However I did have just enough fuel on board to fly to ID08 and then back to S84 Cottonwood. The departure with only 191 Gal remaining was actually quite easy and jives well with what the old Connie pilots have told me and the rest of the team about the L-749. Light she was a blast to fly.

We have worked quite hard on getting her performance to match the original handbooks figures and with a few minor exceptions she is bang on the money by now.
That said......this was a one time show :ernae:

Stefan