PDA

View Full Version : Gmax Animation Conversion Problem

jimjones
October 11th, 2009, 22:59
For those Gmax experts who have experienced this problem and resolved it, I would appreciate their help.

The problem is one converting a Gmax model from an early FSX version to an FSX Sp2 Acceleration version related to animation. When I do a conversion of this sort, within Gmax, the animation shows correctly. The export animation box is checked during export, and the export completes successfully as does the bglcomp process. The BGL model when run within FSX shows correctly, except the animation does not show. I've tried this on two models with animation and both have failed. The only changes made to the Gmax model was to modify the specifications of the texture materials. If there is something I'm failing to do, I would appreciate your advice.

Jim

Mikrco
October 11th, 2009, 23:07
Is this just a key frame animation or are you using bones as well?

MCDesigns
October 12th, 2009, 04:16
Double check the AnimationManager summary to make sure your animated parts are still listed.

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
October 12th, 2009, 06:29
This sounds like you are exporting scenery objects , is the checkbox for advanced animations and scenery complexity set for maximum? if not the animations won't display i believe.

Lionheart
October 12th, 2009, 06:45
Sounds like you are doing a flexing surface animation in a scenery object. Is this correct?

At first, I didnt think you could do this, but I remembered they have a flag that has this feature in FSX, so it must be... Unless its part of a boat, and they are models if I am correct, not scenery objects.

It 'might' be that scenery cannot use flexing surface animations.

Also, note that the secret in surface animations is also in the 'material'. So insure that your material is proper. (I have only heard about this).

Robert (N2056) is pretty good at flex surface animations. He might chime in with some advice.

Bill

N2056
October 12th, 2009, 06:55
Well, considering the fact that the jetways are skinned mesh animation we know that it works on scenery objects...:kilroy:

If it's a skinned mesh then you need to make sure that you check that option for the material, and also check the 'skinned mesh' box in the export menu.

Lionheart
October 12th, 2009, 07:34
Well, considering the fact that the jetways are skinned mesh animation we know that it works on scenery objects...:kilroy:

I did not know that. :d

Learn something new every day.

<-- Im still learning new things in FS9, lol..

Bill

jimjones
October 12th, 2009, 16:34
Thanks to all for responding to my plea. True to your suggestions there was not a part set for animation in the animation manager in the gmax file I was attempting to convert. In earlier attempts I had used the amination manager for the conversion, but still the animation did not show in FSX. It seems that the original file to be converted ,when used with the sp2/acceleration gamepack, only showed key frame values at the beginning and end of the time sequence. When I first developed the model in an earlier gamepack, 10 keys were used.

I was only successful in getting the model to work by creating a new key sequence, then using the animation manager. So the failure boils down to the fact that the key sequence was not interpreted correctly in the new gamepack.

My procedure then was:
Develop a new key sequence for the part to be animated.
Link children to the animated parent.
With the animated parent selected, enter FS Tools/Animation Manager
Select Ambient
Enter 0 in the start field and 100 in the end field
Press Create (Above the start and end fields)
Check the Export Animation block when exporting.
Besides the animation problem, I have encountered some other problems converting earlier files.

Among them are:
Cannot use a texture name containing "&" as in LG&E. It causes export to abort. Worked in the earlier gamepack.
Sometimes textures get used on the wrong parts. Had to carefully rebuild the material lists.
Occasionally when starting gmax the "FS Tools" item will not appear in the top menu. (Could this be a quirk that shows in a duo core system?)
Textures that were built to be partially transparent in early models, show solid. Have not figured out how to do this in the acceleration gamepack yet.

Chuck, I wrote this before seeing your reply. Yes this is scenery and I have yet to check your suggestions to see the settings.

Again, thanks.

Mathias
October 13th, 2009, 01:22
I did not know that. :d

Learn something new every day.

<-- Im still learning new things in FS9, lol..

Bill

Gee Bill, have a look here:

http://blogs.technet.com/torgo3000/archive/2008/06/09/jetway-ik-tutorial.aspx

SkippyBing
October 13th, 2009, 02:07
Occasionally when starting gmax the "FS Tools" item will not appear in the top menu. (Could this be a quirk that shows in a duo core system?)

I've had that sometimes, I've found you can manually load it by running the script. I don't have gMax on this machine, but from memory when you select 'Run Script' from the menu it automagically looks in the right directory and the one you want is called something helpful like start.ms I'll have a look when I get home and amend the instructions accordingly!