PDA

View Full Version : FS2004 Saunders Roe SR-45 "Princess" Uploaded.

PutPut
October 11th, 2009, 19:35
I just finished uploading the FS2004 version of my SR-45 to flightsim and simviation. Should be there tomorrow. This is the source code from the FSX native version converted to work with Makemdl for compiling into FS2004. The textures have been converted back from .dds to DXT3.
The conversion process was much more tedious than I anticipated so I don't think I'll do it again!

Enjoy, Paul

rohan
October 11th, 2009, 21:50
Paul,
that is excellent news for a Monday morning - thank you muchly for doing this extra work for all the FS9 users out here ...
best regards,
Ro
:icon29:

Cees Donker
October 11th, 2009, 22:56
Thank you Paul! Very much appreciated!

:ernae:

Cees

Sid2008
October 12th, 2009, 05:12
Wonderful boat. I wanted to fly this one.
Thank you for taking the time to build it for us.
Sid

FlyTexas
October 12th, 2009, 07:20
Very nice! :applause: Thanks Paul.

Brian

Tom Clayton
October 12th, 2009, 07:29
Thanks Paul! I'm guessing it doesn't need the whole runway, but Quartermaster Harbor should be able to handle her quite nicely!:isadizzy:

casey jones
October 12th, 2009, 09:09
Thank you Mr Clawson,

I wish I could build airplanes!

Casey

TARPSBird
October 12th, 2009, 12:18
Hi Paul,
In the readme you mention making sure the Douglas DC-3, Lockheed Vega, and DeHavilland Beaver .cab files are copied into the FS9 gauges folder. I don't believe there's a default Beaver in FS9, at least I don't have one in my install. Am I missing something?

srgalahad
October 12th, 2009, 13:01
Hi Paul,
In the readme you mention making sure the Douglas DC-3, Lockheed Vega, and DeHavilland Beaver .cab files are copied into the FS9 gauges folder. I don't believe there's a default Beaver in FS9, at least I don't have one in my install. Am I missing something?

That would likely be the default FSX Beaver. If you don't have it ( or FSX) you won't have VOR/ILS gauges in the cockpit. However, I've been doing a bit of fiddling ( how else do you fill a 3 hour flight from Seattle to Oakland?), adding new "old" VOR heads, a couple of fuel gauges, a Radio Compass and misc other bits. One more long haul and I think I'll have enough to get the FAA to sign off on it. Some vague consideration floated thru my head about a 2D panel, but is tucked way back with the galley supplies for now.

Paul, thanks for the Princess. It's been a favorite of mine since I was a kid and now I get to rumble about in it. With all the water in the world, why do we waste real estate on airports?

Tom Clayton
October 12th, 2009, 13:10
I can't get the tip floats to lower for some reason. Which command is it tied to?

PutPut
October 12th, 2009, 13:25
I can't get the tip floats to lower for some reason. Which command is it tied to?

Spoiler, ( / ) just like it says in the readme:jump:

Paul

PutPut
October 12th, 2009, 13:42
Hi Paul,

Opps! You are missing the VOR gauge. Didn't even notice it.
I'll see if I can find an easy fix in the next day or two.

Mea Culpa! Paul

Tom Clayton
October 12th, 2009, 13:46
Thanks Paul! Haven't quite been myself the last few days - must have read right over it!:isadizzy:

PutPut
October 12th, 2009, 18:34
OK, this adds the FS9 Cessna VOR gauge to the SR-45 VC panel. Open the SR-45 panel,cfg file with notepad and change the entries for gauge 04 and gauge 18 to look like this:

gauge04=Cessna!VOR1, 860,731,70
gauge18=Cessna!VOR1, 267,732,70

This adds the VOR gauges as shown below. Cheers, Paul

dandog
October 13th, 2009, 09:17
Thanks PutPut.

robert41
October 13th, 2009, 15:57
Thanks Paul.

burcham8
October 13th, 2009, 18:05
GREAT JOB, PAUL! :ernae:

I hope you might consider doing your other new FSX a/c in FS9 as well.

Thanks for letting me beg. :icon_lol:

Marc Burcham

burcham8
October 13th, 2009, 18:07
In re: above post...

I should have said, "especially the Ryan Yo-51!"

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE? :kilroy:

Marc Burcham

Mick
October 13th, 2009, 19:13
Thanks Paul, :ernae:

It's a fine model, and it's good to be able to add another of your planes to FS9 and GW,

PutPut
October 14th, 2009, 11:31
Thanks, Mick, Hope all is well with you and the boys!

Paul

grimsbee5
October 16th, 2009, 07:53
With this aircraft in fs2004, when deploying flaps, they do not deploy incrementally, instead when selected go to either the full flap down or full up position. What could be the problem? Also, why is there no 2D panel. I think this is the first plane I have downloaded without a panel. The VC is nice. Can you recommend a replacement panel? Thank you for the plane, the only other version I was able to find dates back to 2006, however the flaps behave as they should, but it is not as nice as your version and only has one livery.

Motormouse
October 16th, 2009, 08:13
With this aircraft in fs2004, when deploying flaps, they do not deploy incrementally, instead when selected go to either the full flap down or full up position. What could be the problem? Also, why is there no 2D panel. I think this is the first plane I have downloaded without a panel. The VC is nice. Can you recommend a replacement panel? Thank you for the plane, the only other version I was able to find dates back to 2006, however the flaps behave as they should, but it is not as nice as your version and only has one livery.

One of my Dad's pals worked on the Princess project (the real one)
I'll ask the question,something tells me there were only two flap positions, up or down ( a common feature of British designed and built aircraft of the late 1940's, the Canberra is the same )

If you want increments, you can add these by editing the aircraft.cfg file
flaps section, this is from the default Cessna 172, but you'll
get the idea ---->

[flaps.0] //Trailing Edge Flaps
type = 1 // 1 - tail, 2 - lead
span-outboard = 0.5 // 0.0 .. 1.0
extending-time = 7 // seconds
flaps-position.0 = 0 // degrees
flaps-position.1 = 12.7 // degrees
flaps-position.2 = 25.3 // degrees
flaps-position.3 = 38 // degrees
damaging-speed = 120 // KIAS
blowout-speed = 150 // KIAS
lift_scalar = 1.0
drag_scalar = 1.0
pitch_scalar= 1.0
system_type = 0 //0=Electric, 1=Hydraulic, 2=Pneumatic, 3=Manual, 4=None

ttfn

Pete

PutPut
October 16th, 2009, 08:38

None of the data I have gave me a clue as to whether the SR-45 had incremental flaps or not, so I gave it one position to keep it simple. Regarding a 2D panel. I find I don't use the 2D panel any more so I don't intend to add them to my projects. (I can hear some of the old timers laughing, like Roger, Panther99, etc. I was totally against VC's when they first became popular and didn't put them in my designs until about 3 years ago.) What a turn around, now when I am in the cockpit it is always in the VC in spite of the weird projection at high zoom levels.
Remember, I do these projects for my own enjoyment and upload the ones I think others might enjoy "as is", and, they are free.

Cheers, Paul

grimsbee5
October 16th, 2009, 11:49
Well, thank you I have pasted the C-172 info to the aircraft.cfg, and now have incremental flaps! I like that much better.
Then I thought I would try a panel alias, which gives me a 2D panel but no VC panel. So I guess its one or the other. I think I will just fly it now with my original panel configuration as it is such a great aircraft, and quit messing with it, besides I have a Mig-21 waiting for me to fix it's afterburner.

PutPut
October 16th, 2009, 11:54
Well, thank you I have pasted the C-172 info to the aircraft.cfg, and now have incremental flaps! I like that much better.
Then I thought I would try a panel alias, which gives me a 2D panel but no VC panel. So I guess its one or the other. I think I will just fly it now with my original panel configuration as it is such a great aircraft, and quit messing with it, besides I have a Mig-21 waiting for me to fix it's afterburner.

Actually, a panel alias should work if all the entries are made. You will have to make changes to the panel.cfg file to accomodate the new entries. A respectable panel would be from one of the Lockheed Connies floating around or a Boeing Stratocruiser.

Paul

srgalahad
October 16th, 2009, 13:33
Since I was a kid I've been intrigued by the Princess, so when Paul's model came out I started digging.

The Flaps:
"Flap actuation is vested in a pair of B.T.H. electric motors mounted in the middle of the centre-section rear-spar, and rated at 3 h.p. at 7,500 r.p.m. to 5$ h.p. at 5,400 r.p.m. Both motors commonly drive a differential, the output of which is taken, port and starboard, through torque shafting and bevel boxes (which provide a reduction ratio of 4.62:1) and so outboard through the wing trailing edge to actuate the individual secondary-worm screwjacks which move the separate units of the flap. Each screw jack picks up direct to a trunnion bar spanning the lower portions of the front swing links, and universal joints in the torque shafts coupling the jacks cater for wing flexure and are arranged in conjunction with fixed self-aligning ball bearings. In the cockpit, a Dowty eightposition selector switch initiates flap actuation, and the surfaces can be raised or lowered through their full 44 deg of deflection in approximately 20 sec." (It's 4-down, four up at 0/15/30/45) Actual gauge shows % of flap, not degrees.
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1952/1952 - 2846.htm

Flaps & speed placard here: http://www.seawings.co.uk/sp60.htm
Flaps & trim panel (it's the R/L center panel): http://www.seawings.co.uk/sp55.htm

The Cockpit:
Paul's model gives a pretty good start. I haven't found a good "full" shot yet but between these two pics you'll have a pretty good idea of where to go.
I hadn't really pondered creating a 2-D panel (mostly some doubt about how much time I'd have) but two 6 hour flights gave me a good start on tweaking the VC. Now, with better pics I can refine it more -like moving the Radio Compass to the center of each pilot's panel, adding a period-but-advanced autopilot, mach meter (yes, there was one). Also the ILS/VOR would have been introduced by the end of flight testing or service intro in all likelihood and would be feasible to shoot an ILS approach at a coastal airport then circle to land on the water so I'm finding places for it.

Real panel pics:
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1952/1952 - 2934.html
http://www.seawings.co.uk/sp112.htm
http://www.seawings.co.uk/sp53.htm

One "oddity": it looks like a 4000fpm rate of climb gauge is the upper right of the pilot's quadrant.. so, what it the purpose of the one below the Radio-compass that looks like a RoC turned 90deg. and incremented to "6"?

A screenshot of the WIP. Note: I have installed a couple of digital gauges for testing purposes so don't scream at me :icon_lol:. Also, there's a lot of work yet to come and I won't release anything until I get Paul's permission and check that all gauges are freeware and allowed so don't get too anxious.

Once the VC is done I can probably fudge a 2-D for those who want it, but again, it won't be s**n.

Rob

PutPut
October 16th, 2009, 14:28
WOW! I wish I knew of those shots before I started. Looks like a lot of my guesses were wrong. The only cockpit shot I had was from the database section of Aeroplane magazine and was from an angle. Some of the middle gauges didn't even show. I hope you complete this project and you certainly have my permission to upload it. Carry on!!

Paul

srgalahad
October 17th, 2009, 20:00
LOL Paul, the good stuff often shows up 'late'. The important thing is you built the model and we're all grateful for that!

I'm not a gauge builder so it'll be the "usual suspects' but so far it's coming along slowly. The upcoming MacRobertson Race is having an impact but I do want to finish this up.

One issue I'm having is prop control ( I'm also not an airfile guy) as the normal turbine controls don't seem to have all the authority they should have (props and condition) but I've been focusing on the panel so it may not be a real 'problem' - just dead-brain syndrome. At this point I have installed a high/low prop controller (let the blasted FE worry about details!). Full, detailed flight tests are for later but it still flies nice ( radar altimeter is essential for landing on a dark ocean at night!).

Oh, and I'm thinking of an alternate 'modern' panel for those who might have prevented the 3 a/c from being scrapped.:kilroy:

Rob