PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a challenge?

OBIO
October 11th, 2009, 01:00
Start a flight in any of the airstrips in Idaho that end with USFS. Some of those strips are in deep valleys, have short runways. I was flying out of one of them using Brian Gladden's Gippsland GA-8 Air Van....mile after mile I was flying through a valley with some pretty high peaks on either side of me. When I tried to climb up out of the valley, I began my climb too late, which resulted in my trying to climb too fast...lost airspeed, stalled and went into a fatal spin....me, my co-pilot and 8 screaming passengers died.....the only witnesses to the tragic event were a few laughing squirrels and one startled Black Tail deer.

Not sure what these airstrips are like with the default mesh, but using Rhumbaflappy's LOD5/7 mesh, they can be really challenging as the mountains are a lot higher.

OBIO

Richard Westcott
October 11th, 2009, 01:53
I have been flying around the North West USA for a while, great fun!

Cazzie
October 11th, 2009, 02:57
Perfect for Piglet's Storch!

If you don't have them, get these at AvSim:

Filename: idstrips.zip License: Freeware Added: 10th July 2007 Downloads: 940 Author: Kobbe Farwick Size: 5739kb
Filename: idahostrips2.zip License: Freeware Added: 9th November 2007 Downloads: 698 Author: Kobbe Farwick Size: 9430kb

srgalahad
October 11th, 2009, 03:39
Sounds like a good time to resurrect this little exercise then...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showpost.php?p=11179&postcount=1

Note: read the above thread thru to post #46 as there was an error in the altitude caps posted in #2. Besides, learning from those who (nearly) died has some value.

Fortunately still hanging around from last fall as a training exercise for the RTWR.

Rob