PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Glassair goes down....

luckydog
October 9th, 2009, 11:26

Last Saturday, a friend of mine ( back home in Texas ) was flying his Glassair back to Llano from DFW.
Lousy weather.....overcast & rain...but he was lookin good above it all at about 4,000'.
For reasons unknown ( yet ) the engine starts running rough and suddenly quits.
Allan (an American Airlines pilot ) starts emergency landing sops and goes on instruments as he drops into the weather.
He breaks into the clear (rain ) at about 900' AGL and sees a field.....
and almost makes it.
He says the mesquite tree he hit at 67 kts probably saved his life.
Allan suffered a cut on one arm (no stitches ).

Ferry_vO
October 9th, 2009, 11:35
Shame about the aircraft but it can be replaced, all that matters is that the pilot got out OK.

Curtis P40
October 9th, 2009, 11:37
Wow...

n4gix
October 9th, 2009, 11:40
Man, he was one lucky fellow to escape serious injury!

It's gonna take a bit more than an Earl Schieb paint job, that's for sure.

Lionheart
October 9th, 2009, 12:22
Thank the Lord he lived through that one. Looks like a horrible accident. Sheared off the fuselage at the control panel.

Bjoern
October 9th, 2009, 12:30
Geez, that Glasair looks seriously FUBAR. Fortuantely your friend didn't as well.

All the best to him and may he find a new ride one day.

luckydog
October 9th, 2009, 12:53
Thank the Lord he lived through that one. Looks like a horrible accident. Sheared off the fuselage at the control panel.

Pretty wild, uh?? Instrument panel and rudder pedals GONE. Allan said that when he finally came to a stop there was this big wide-open space in front of him !! His restraint system did good !
He was back at the airport this past Wednesday changing the oil on his Baron G58 which will now become his "fly to work plane".
He said everything was "stiff and sore" but was still going to do a work related check-ride (757) the next day ( he's 59 ).

stansdds
October 9th, 2009, 14:54
Glad he is ok! Too bad about the plane, but that's replaceable.

Panther_99FS
October 9th, 2009, 16:43
Shame about the aircraft but it can be replaced, all that matters is that the pilot got out OK.

Definitely!

N2056
October 9th, 2009, 18:46
Man...it got ripped up pretty good. I am way glad he got out of it intact!

For me there is a certain sadness in that someone put a lot of their life into building it. The first Thorp my Dad made was lost in a crash a few years after he sold it killing both the souls onboard. When I found out it was as if I had lost a good friend, as that plane was a big part of my life when I was a kid.

It was even worse knowing people died in the same plane that had brought me so much happiness...:frown:

Lionheart
October 9th, 2009, 18:47
Pretty wild, uh?? Instrument panel and rudder pedals GONE. Allan said that when he finally came to a stop there was this big wide-open space in front of him !! His restraint system did good !
He was back at the airport this past Wednesday changing the oil on his Baron G58 which will now become his "fly to work plane".
He said everything was "stiff and sore" but was still going to do a work related check-ride (757) the next day ( he's 59 ).

My goodness... lol.. He's doing good to be crashing and going back to work, 757 driver, and at 59 years old.. I hope I am that young when I am that old.

:d

TomSteber
October 9th, 2009, 20:34
Wow! Really lucky to get out of that one. Glad he's OK.
I remember seeing his plane at Oshkosh either this year or last or both.

luckydog
October 9th, 2009, 22:38
Wow! Really lucky to get out of that one. Glad he's OK.
I remember seeing his plane at Oshkosh either this year or last or both.

Yep, he was there this year.
Came in 3rd in a race they had ( I'm thinkin Dayton Ohio to Oshkosh ?? )

OBIO
October 9th, 2009, 22:40
Glad to hear that your friend was able to walk away from that with just a cut. I can't imagine how sore he has to be after an impact hard enough to rip a plane apart at the control panel area....those bulkheads in that area are built like tanks (been looking at a lot of site showing planes being restored/upgraded and learning a lot about how aircraft are built...might come in handy one day if I ever learn to use Gmax with any degree of competence).

OBIO

oakfloor
October 10th, 2009, 14:57
Lousy weather.....overcast & rain...

cheezyflier
October 11th, 2009, 05:20
My goodness... lol.. He's doing good to be crashing and going back to work, 757 driver, and at 59 years old.. I hope I am that young when I am that old.

that's what i call bein a man. :medals:
pick yourself up, dust yourself off, get back to work. there ain't a whole lot one can do that's cooler than that.

Chacha
October 11th, 2009, 10:57

59 is not old, Bill!

Age is just a number..... It is how one take care of oneself.... and how one feels makes one old.... eating right, exercise, and taking care of oneself is the key...

I agree that man is 59, but his heart is young and energetic! May he live 59+ more years! :engel016:

egypt23spitfire
October 11th, 2009, 17:36
...AAHH------- the value of twin engines:applause:

.....glad to hear he's okdokee:ernae:

Wulf190
October 11th, 2009, 17:44
Holy......!:isadizzy:

Thats awesome that all the pilot suffered was a minor cut. Considering all things, I'd say it was a good landing.

...AAHH------- the value of twin engines:applause:

.....glad to hear he's okdokee:ernae:

Heh, twins are nice, as long as you have power. The twin I fly is a Beech Travelair. A real honey when both engines are running, but a complete pig when an engine is out, and even worse to fly on instruments with an engine out. Two 180hp engines just don't cut it....

Dain Arns
October 30th, 2009, 00:01
Hey luckydog! There is footage from AirVenture 2009 that Wozza posted a YouTube link to, over in the FSX forum. I'll make a link here for you, but at 3:54 there is a shot of your friend's Glassair landing! :kilroy:

J9OG_IMI0qU

luckydog
October 30th, 2009, 12:09
Thanks Dain !!!!!! :applause:

I'll pass it on to Allan.

n4gix
October 30th, 2009, 12:22
Oops! Did anyone else notice the RV nose over at 0:48?