PDA

View Full Version : Bella Coola STOL_continued

falcon409
October 8th, 2009, 06:15
Another, very challenging strip just south of Bella Coola. This one also highlights one of the many mountain lakes in the Bella Coola Valley. The images shows an approach over the mountain ledge and down to the strip, but since this strip actually slants down toward the lake, this approach probably isn't even possible (cough, cough), lol.

Anyway, I'll do the normal enhancements and post it later today. Hopefully the first one I uploaded yesterday will show up today sometime.

MCDesigns
October 8th, 2009, 06:23
Nice location Ed, look forward to trying it out. What mountain textures are those?

falcon409
October 8th, 2009, 06:49
Nice location Ed, look forward to trying it out. What mountain textures are those?
Thanks Michael, actually that's Holgers BellaCoolafsx addon. Got it from flightsim.com I believe.

falcon409
October 8th, 2009, 06:54
Ok, here's the completed strip. I did not lay in an actual rwy via AFX because this rwy really does go downhill, so while I could adjust the elevation points of the poly to allow for the variations I can't do that in AFX so the dirt rwy wouldn't look right. I did set up an airport reference point in AFX and gave the airport a general altitude setting so it will show up in your GPS.

MCDesigns
October 8th, 2009, 07:09
Thanks Ed, thought they looked familiar.
One thing I have been experimenting with that gives great results, is to zoom in SBX to just the area you want, regardless if you get an actual sat image and process as normal. this gives you basically a blank canvas, kinda like a custom texture for a small specific area and you can control the detail by the resolution and file size.
Here is a small clearing I am working on in TongassX, basically I found a small area, with great views, but semi flat surface, loaded up SBX, processed a sat tile as normal at 17 zoom that displayed the 'image cannot be found" message. Then edited the image with some high res grass/dirt I had from some other textures and viola, instant sloping bush strip with detail.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/9743/bushstrip.jpg

falcon409
October 8th, 2009, 07:33
Hmmmm, no comprende' Michael, lol. If you don't have an image to work off of, how do you then "edit" the image? Also, how do you add the textures? Is that done in SBX or a graphics program?

MCDesigns
October 8th, 2009, 07:47
You have an image Ed, just not the photoreal tiles, instead you can use the street view or just the tiling "image cannot be found message" that you get when you zoom in to far and there is no sat data to view. The size of the area seems to be defined by how far you zoom in, and the resolution is defined by the amount of tiles you process in the secondary window. In theory, you can have a size of a football field in FSX that uses a texture 9000 x 9000, which it total overkill but you'd be able to read an eye chart of it because of the amazing resolution

As for the editing of the image, yes, using photoshop, gimp, psp whatever editor you work with.

if interested, email me and I can explain it further.

falcon409
October 8th, 2009, 08:29
. . . . .if interested, email me and I can explain it further.
E-mail on the way:running:

Anneke
October 8th, 2009, 11:56
Well that's interesting, perhaps you guys can publish the reply email overhere because I'm very interested in doing something for TFX as well :engel016: