PDA

View Full Version : DSL question

OleBoy
October 5th, 2009, 17:14
I've never had the opportunity to have, or experience DSL. Well, I have at a friends.

My connection speeds as of right now is;

D/L speed 115KBs
U/L speed 12 KBS

I just committed to;

1.5mbs D/L
256K U/L

I'm not that savvy on connection speeds. Will I notice a real big difference?

OBIO
October 5th, 2009, 17:37
Most likely you will notice a HUGE difference in connection speed. You have increased your download speeds by a factor of 10 or so and your upload speeds by a factor of around 20.

I went from dial up to a 1.5meg DSL connection and was blown away. Then when the phone company had really ticked us off to the point that we no longer wanted to deal with them (one day after the due date of a bill, they called 5 times demanding payment....payday was the following day and we were going to pay it) we went with a bundle through the cable company (cable, phone, internet) for less than was we were paying the phone company for local calling and DSL...and with the cable company we have unlimited long distance, digital cable....and the internet connection is a 7meg per second connection. I was blown away at the difference between 1.5meg and 7meg. Went to a 15meg connection for a while...LOVED IT! Then had to drop back to the basic 768K package for a while....HATED IT! Now back on the 7meg connection, but my download speeds actually have been testing between 10 and 22 megs per second.

One thing to keep in mind...there aren't that many sites whose bandwidth will allow you enjoy the full limit of your download speed. Having a 20meg per second connection does me no good on Simviation.com....I still get 29.9K per second download speed from that site. SOH is better, usually in the 850K per second range. But if you watch a lot of video, listen to music....that is where you will notice the biggest improvement. I recently downloaded a 138meg video on the Boeing 747...nearly an hour long show...and it took around 7 seconds!

And if you do any online gaming or flying....you will be happy with the increased smoothness with the higher speeds.

OBIO

OleBoy
October 5th, 2009, 17:46
Hi OBIO

I've been waiting for this to happen for years. Was told MANY times it would be in our area soon. Now, today, I got a letter from the phone company that the service was finally here. Every time I called, only to be let down. I called today when the letter arrived. I thought it was a farse and that it wouldn't be happening. I found out that they finally installed the lines and the needed digital switching to make it so. I was amazed it was finally true. We finally get DSL.

To make it short. I'm a happy camper :ernae::jump::applause::running::icon_lol::medals: :icon29:

Dangerousdave26
October 5th, 2009, 19:00
I moved from one apartment where I could have the highest DSL that Bellsouth offers to a new appartment that can only supply 25% of the DSL speed.

That was the only part of the move I did not like.

Going to DSL just get the best speed they offer for your area. The price difference will be worth it.

And when you need to set up that new fancy router to get up on line in Multiplayer just knock on my door.

OleBoy
October 5th, 2009, 19:03
I may just be doing that. Knocking on your door I mean. I been wanting to experience online flight for ages. I think I'm going to like this DSL stuff:ernae:

OleBoy
October 6th, 2009, 06:22
Scheduled to be installed, delivered and up and running on Thursday :jump::jump::jump:

Richard Westcott
October 6th, 2009, 06:28
I'm not that savvy on connection speeds. Will I notice a real big difference?

I have a 5MB/sec connection, or I am supposed to have, I was downloading something the other day and the fastest download speed was 650 bytes per second, what a ripp off.

I have to admit that I have never known it that slow.

Recently I was up graded from 2.2MB/sec and I do not really notice any difference. I think it depends on where you live, if you live the the country (as I do) then it is slow.

Sorry this is more of a rant than a reply!

Dangerousdave26
October 6th, 2009, 08:39
I have a 5MB/sec connection, or I am supposed to have, I was downloading something the other day and the fastest download speed was 650 bytes per second, what a ripp off.

I have to admit that I have never known it that slow.

Recently I was up graded from 2.2MB/sec and I do not really notice any difference. I think it depends on where you live, if you live the the country (as I do) then it is slow.

Sorry this is more of a rant than a reply!

Keep in mind you can only download as fast as someone can upload to you.

So you may have a 5MB connection but if the site you are downloading from can only send at 600 bytes that all you can down load. More than likely the site can allow down loads at a faster rate but they have to split their total upload speed among all of the users currently down loading from them. They may also have limits imposed where each user is limited to a download speed much like Simviation does.

If you look in your routers set up you should see a section that shows your current connection speed both upload and download. Upload will always be the slower of the two. That is on purpose it keeps the network looking fast to the end user. This upload and download speed is the measurement of speed to the nearest ISP equipment. It is not a representative of how fast your connection speed is on the internet. Once you leave that device and head out to the internet all bets are off. You are subject to the traffic and capabilities of the particular node you are connecting to.

Usually you are not guaranteed your connection speed either. It will be close most of the time but you can expect some slow downs.

Still subscribing to the faster speed is the better way to go. Most things will be faster just not every thing.

OleBoy
October 10th, 2009, 05:50
I can't believe it. I got a letter from my phone company telling me that they finally have DSL available in my area. Like usual, I call to confirm before getting excited. In most cases when I call, I get a NO. It's not available in my area...yet.

This time, I get the same thing. I call to confirm. The lady on the other end checks my address and phone number. shortly thereafter she comes back on the line and confirms, YES, it is available to you. So, I sign up. Three days later (Thursday) I get home from work to find a box with a brand new DSL modem and all the needed other goodies. Yep, I was excited. I disconnected my other equipment, connected the new stuff, installed the software. All was going good. Right up to connecting to the internet (which wasn't available no matter what settings I tried) BAM, the door closed.

I called tech support. He ran through the connection procedures to confirm I did everything right. YEP. A tech would be at my house in the morning. When the tech got the work order, he knew immediately what the problem was. NO DSL IN OUR AREA!!!! :173go1: It is coming soon though. Our number was added to the list. Funny thing is, if he'd had the list in front of him, I'm probably the first name on it :kilroy:

sandar
October 10th, 2009, 06:09
My ISP upgraded their service from 5 MB, although by the time it got to me it was down to 4 MB, but very reliable, up to 15 MB, but I get between 10 and 11 MB at my PC, but on occasion it has plummeted to .7MB or even stopping altogether and leaving me without a connection at all for hours on end. Not much use when I need to access the Internet to post live sports updates.

When it is working properly (I must admit that it is getting more reliable now that initial problems have been identified and remedied) I have downloaded the same file more than once not realising that it I had downloaded in seconds instead of the minutes it used to take.