PDA

View Full Version : 18 hours to cook, 18 minutes to eat

OBIO
October 5th, 2009, 14:04
Last night at around 10pm, I fired up the slow cooker, plopped in a 3 pound cheap London Broil (paid less than $5 for it), let it cook all night, all day. At around 4:15 pm this afternoon, I used a fork to shred the beef (which had become super tender), mixed in some good BBQ sauce and spices and made a nice BBQ Beef out of it. By 4:30, Deb and I were sitting at the table, enjoying BBQ Beef sandwiches. By 5:00, we had the dishes rinsed, into the dish washer, had the table wiped down, the chips put away and the rest of the BBQ Beef covered to go in the fridge for safe keeping.

18 hours to cook, 18 minutes to eat...doesn't seem right somehow.

OBIO

Cratermaker
October 5th, 2009, 14:30
But that's what the slow cooker is for! Let it do its thing without having to lift a finger during those hours. AND.... you get to smell it cooking all that time. :jump:

Cloud9Gal
October 5th, 2009, 14:55
Sounds yummy! I love pulled pork or pulled beef BBQ sandwiches! http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/cool/cool0020.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

OBIO
October 5th, 2009, 15:26
The smell of that beef cooking all night made it very hard to sleep. Our stomachs were screaming wanting to tear into that beef. When I put the meat in the slow cooker, I rubbed it with black pepper, extra dark chili powder (bought from the Amish no less) and powdered dried onions. The smell of that meat slow cooking filled the house and smelled wonderful.

OBIO

Snuffy
October 5th, 2009, 15:40
My Mother use to do that with the thanksgiving turkey ... slow cook over night ... was nothing like it, the whole house filled with the aroma of the main dish to be served the next day slow roasting in the oven all night. The herbs and other spices in the stuffing ... god my mouth would water all night.

Nothing like driving past a BBQ place on the highway either ... that aroma is socked in around those places for miles.

Not far from where I work, less than a whole mile, is a BBQ and on days when the wind is right ... you should smell my office!

:isadizzy:

Sounds like ya had a good meal there OBIO ... save some, I'll be right up.

cheezyflier
October 5th, 2009, 19:11
try this:

2 (16 ounce) cans jellied cranberry sauce
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup cranberry or cherry juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
pork roast at least 5 lb

mash the cran with a potato masher or use a fork. mix in the other stuff.
put the roast in the crockpot pour the mix on it. turn it on high for an hour, then turn it to low. go to work. by the time you get home, it's done. nuke some taters or make some rice, toss a salad, make some ovaltine. your set for an awesome meal

OBIO
October 6th, 2009, 13:16
Cheezy

Will give that recipe a try very soon....sounds perfect for fall (autumn) dinning.

Having had the slow cooker out, I spent an extra bit of time watching that big fat Ground Hog down in the meadow yesterday evening.....haven't had slow cooked Whistle Pig in nearly 20 years.

OBIO

Henry
October 6th, 2009, 13:20
nuke some taters or make some rice, toss a salad, make some ovaltine. your set for an awesome meal
you cannot Nuke potatoes thats immoral and so is ovaltine :engel016:
LOL
the rest looks great though i will have to try
H

cheezyflier
October 6th, 2009, 15:23
you cannot Nuke potatoes thats immoral and so is ovaltine :engel016:
LOL
the rest looks great though i will have to try
H

we cant nuke anything right now anyhow. our microwave died a couple days ago and we haven't replaced it yet. as for ovaltine, well, it's the nectar of the gods