PDA

View Full Version : Repaint contest for Cash Prize?

Cerberus
October 5th, 2009, 12:09
If you keep up with my product-giveaways you probably know I've been doing some different things to try spice things up. We'll I have a new idea I would like to run with, but I need to hear back on what the community thinks of it.

Would you be willing to enter a Repaint contest hosted here at the SOH, assuming the mods approve, if the winner gets a cash prize, say $50 from us?

I'd probably want to start it off with the contest only being for our P-38's or Texans. If everyone likes the idea and helps me work out the logistics I will host one.

For those that would rather have it off-site you can now vote for the same pole on our message board. Increased traffic to our board would be nice, but so would increased traffic to SOH. If we can get enough people interested to make it fun I'll host it anywhere.
http://skyunlimited.net/skyboard/YaBB.pl?num=1254777859

N2056
October 5th, 2009, 12:16
The base idea sounds fun, but my thought is that if it is limited to your products than it should be done on your site. If it's hosted here it should be a contest that anyone can enter without buying something.

Cerberus
October 5th, 2009, 12:21
My forum does not have much of a following, if hosted there the contest could bring in traffic, but I do see your point, and would like to hear others opinions and mods opinions.

I would rather have fun here, and donate to SOH for letting us host it. We would have to limit it to SkyUnlimited planes or the planes we sell since the judges wouldn't be able to purchase all of the aircraft that might be submitted.

dswo
October 5th, 2009, 12:33
I'm not a mod, but this sounds like a good idea. Everyone gets more repaints -- you and everyone who owns your products -- and some hardworking repainter gets $50.

N2056
October 5th, 2009, 12:44
Well, I made my feelings known. It seems to me that this is more free promotion than should happen here. Limiting the entries to products he sells crosses the line in my book. That said, I will not personally debate it further...it's up to the mods, and I will respect their opinion whatever it may be.

X_eidos2
October 5th, 2009, 12:50
Just when I was getting ready to suggest making a new paintkit for the Texan that used 2048 textures instead of the default 1024. Looks like it might be a run back to the paint shed for me. :running:

I hope we can generate a lot more comments about how other folks feel. I tend to agree with Robert that since the contest is limited to SkyUnlimited products that it should be held on the SU website. Hopefully just making an announcement here on the SOH forum will point folks in the right direction.

Would it be just FSX or both FSX and FS9?

Desert Rat
October 5th, 2009, 13:13
I voted 'no', I don't own the FSX versions of these planes and I rarely use FSX. That's my main reason.

I have no-bones about such a contest and whilst it may be borderline self promotion (those new skins generated would help increase sales :p), Jesse is a valued member here and a very nice chap. he has been good to me and many members here from the CFS2 basement right up to X. Also I can't blame him for trying to promote his goods, times are hard for us all, and a little 'promo' can't hurt especially if there's prize. I very much like the idea of a donation to SoH, or maybe donate an older model to donationware to help sustained fund raising? Depends which is worth more I suppose.

The way I see it is an exercise in back-scratching. Possibly mutually beneficial. If we can't help support the Devs, bar spending our own cash, what else can we do?

my tupence,
Jamie

Cerberus
October 5th, 2009, 13:18
Whoops I forgot to mention that there are FS2004 versions of both of these, and there would be no reason the FS2004 versions couldn't be considered as well.

Desert Rat
October 5th, 2009, 13:24
Thanks Jesse!!

you've just blown my lazy-ass excuse outta the water :gameoff: I'm gonna have to look into this now, I do have the FS9 Harvards and one of the 38's. D'oh!!

;)
Jamie

Henry
October 5th, 2009, 15:04
Just a few thoughts!
is there a paint kit?
is it open for someone who has not purchased
ie a simple free model no 2d or 3d pit no sounds etc
this should probably be addressed in private
but just a couple of thoughts
H

Mr.Mugel
October 6th, 2009, 06:46
Not really a painter here, but I guess I´d at least try to get something in!

jmig
October 6th, 2009, 10:47
Since I am not a painter, I won't be entering.

That being said I am not against the idea. If the man is going to offer a $50 prize, he should be able to limit it to his aircraft.

There are plenty of re-paints for most popular aircraft. I say the more the better. Who knows, someone may do a paint of the T-6 that I just love. :)

Cerberus
October 6th, 2009, 11:04
I'm currently looking into if it would be worth creating a freeware skeleton plane with just the features needed to do a repaint. It would not have a cockpit or standard features, but it would include enough so that everyone could join. I guess it will all depend on how fun we can make this.

2Low
October 6th, 2009, 18:20
I would not expect to win or even come close but I'd give it a go.

X_eidos2
October 10th, 2009, 16:29
I'm starting work on the stripped down FSX Texan, and the FSX Harvard MkII.
And then it will be the FS9 versions. These models will just have enough to demonstrate the external look of the model. The PSD files will be in a paintkit which will be located in the "Extras" folder. The FSX models used the same UVWs as the FS9 models, so a texture file made for one version will work with the other.

lifejogger
March 17th, 2010, 05:29
It sounds like a good idea, however there are a handful of people in the flight sim world who are masters at doing repaints and if any of them entered such a contest the average repainter would not have a chance of winning.
Just my opinion.

fsafranek
March 17th, 2010, 09:29
To make it even more fun don't make a paint kit available at all. Just a set of texture maps. Just my opinion based on years of doing this, but the vast majority of the repaints that everyone goes gaga over are at least 80% already finished before the repainter even applies the first pixel. But don't get me wrong, repaints do equate to extra sales. That's why I always hold a couple back as free releases.

Ok, I'll go back to the paint shed and clean some brushes. :salute:

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Sláinte!
:ernae:

Wild Bill Kelso
March 17th, 2010, 10:13
To make it even more fun don't make a paint kit available at all.
... the vast majority of the repaints that everyone goes gaga over are at least 80% already finished before the repainter even applies the first pixel.

Good point, Frank!
That's why I love to do repaints on your products... :d

But it's true: Just the basic textures as a start will make this contest some more challenging!

@ lifejogger:
I think the jury should take the specific repainter's experience into account when judging upon the results. This contest shouldn't discourage anyone from joining!

Cheers,
Markus.

peter12213
March 19th, 2010, 21:51
Why not a screen shot comp??? Sod the paints lets see what the real people do with em, ehh?
I'd love to see 1 aircraft by it self and 1 judge for a screen shot comp!

But thats after 8 cans of Fosters and a bottle of 35 degrees south, btw that lush red wine!!

Cerberus
March 20th, 2010, 00:06
I think everyone will win. There will be a lot of great repaints available and a fun contest to go with it :-). I'm open to any new ideas that might add some fun and enjoyment to the FS community. Screenshot contests have been done before, so I wanted to try something different.