PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten planes and places

LouP
October 3rd, 2009, 09:20
Sometomes we accululate so much stuff, we forget to revist some of the great stuff we already had: :kilroy:

Thank you all for the great stuff and for viewing. the stills just don't do it justice :applause:

LouP

Willy
October 3rd, 2009, 11:04
Lou, what scenery is that?

RSM Mike
October 3rd, 2009, 11:06
but ... not being up on identifying all the great places in the world to fly into - where is this ... and what is the scenery package and plane? looks like fun to use as a local task to fly to! :pop4:

Cheers!

OleBoy
October 3rd, 2009, 11:29
Sometomes we accululate so much stuff, we forget to revist some of the great stuff we already had: :kilroy:

LouP

That's an understatement for sure. Too many wants, too many likings, too many interests. Too many things in the frying pan at the same time for me, and I forget what pocket I put the GPS in to find my way back.

OBIO and the vintage stuff. He's gotten me lost MANY times with all the updates and modifications he does. :isadizzy:

But, what can I say. I like it all :pop4:

huub vink
October 3rd, 2009, 11:31
but ... not being up on identifying all the great places in the world to fly into - where is this ... and what is the scenery package and plane? looks like fun to use as a local task to fly to! :pop4:

Cheers!

For the plane I can supply you an answer. It is Manuele Villa's beautiful Fiat G18, which can be found here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=13389

I haven't got a clue about the scenery :isadizzy:

Cheers,
Huub

Tako_Kichi
October 3rd, 2009, 11:43
The scenery is for St. Barthelemy in the Windward Islands but I don't know who makes that one. There are several sceneries out there for both FS9 and FSX as freeware and payware.

It's a fun airport to fly into and out of and quite a challenge in some aircraft especially if the weather is bad.

You really need an add-on scenery of some sort (and preferably with a mesh) as the stock FS9/X does not do it justice. You can sometimes find it lumped with Princess Juliana and Saba and all three are challenging airports and are close enough to each other to hop between them several times in an hour.

Desert Rat
October 3rd, 2009, 12:02
Fly Tampa St. Maarten :d It's a stunning piece of scenery!!

http://secure.simmarket.com/flytampa-maarten-complete.phtml

RSM Mike
October 3rd, 2009, 12:04
OK... got the plane... thanks Huub! Now, I've done a search for the St. Barthelemy scenery - found some/lots - now just one goofy beginner question! If I install mesh for one particular area such as the subject in this thread, am I going to be affecting meshes in other areas of the FS World? :bump:

getting there! thanks.

Willy
October 3rd, 2009, 12:45
I solved my mesh compatibilities by just meshing up the whole world. Unfortunately the mesh I use is no longer available.

OBIO
October 3rd, 2009, 14:16
OK... got the plane... thanks Huub! Now, I've done a search for the St. Barthelemy scenery - found some/lots - now just one goofy beginner question! If I install mesh for one particular area such as the subject in this thread, am I going to be affecting meshes in other areas of the FS World? :bump:

getting there! thanks.

You can add mesh for one particular area and it will not have any effect on the rest of the world. Holgar Sandmann (I think I have that pretty close to not even being right) did a lot of area specific mesh....very specific stuff for the Pacific Northwest/British Columbia/Alaska that covered a very small area.

If you want a world mesh that is far better than what comes with FS2004, check out the LOD5 and LOD7 world mesh by Rhumbaflappy. He created it for CFS2, but it works beautifully in FS2002, FS2004 and FSX. I use it in CFS2 and FS2004...and the improvement in both sims over stock is breath taking. There are a lot of files to download, but it is well worth the time to do so. The files can be found in the CFS2 library here.

OBIO

OBIO
October 3rd, 2009, 14:20
My aircraft collection had gotten so large and diverse that I had to break it down into categories. I now have 7 installs of FS2004:

Golden Wings General Aviation
Golden Wings Military Aviation
Golden Wings Commercial Aviation

Silver Wings General Aviation
Silver WIngs Military Aviation
Silver Wings Commercial Aviation

Standard FS2004 for modern stuff (don't have a lot of stuff post 1970s)

I find myself doing most of my flying and tweaking in the Golden Wings General Aviation install....that is my favorite period and genre of aviation history.

OBIO

Willy
October 3rd, 2009, 14:25
I haven't flown Golden Wings in quite some time. I fly a modded Silver Wings I call FS 1954. It's got GA, Commercial and military all mixed in the same install. It'll probably always be a work in progress, but fiddling with it is part of the fun.

LouP
October 3rd, 2009, 17:03
JD got the scenery answer correct. It's Fly Tampa's St. Barts scenery. Really an awesome package. I think this work was the inspiration for FSX as when I am there it looks just like the demo they used for FSX only better cause you can run it ;). There's a ton of AI traffic here (planes and boats) so I usually turn down the AI when in this area. I kinda thought everyone had this scenery because it's that good :applause:

LouP

aeromed202
October 7th, 2009, 16:27
As I was starting to DL Rhumbaflappys mesh it was not clear to me what I was getting. I am after the world (BWAA-HA-HA) but his description was a bit vague. Do I want the LOD5 or LOD7? Do I need both sets?
I also remembered that Simviation offers world mesh files, hundreds of them, with the following description:

"These are scenery files for FS2004, FS2002 & FS2000. The entire landmass of the earth between 60°S and 60°N is covered in 682 geographical sections. The resolution of the source files is three arc-seconds. The terrain mesh is sampled at 70m. However, see the README (http://63.217.28.218/files/terrain2/ReadMe.txt) for a discussion on the relative accuracy of the source data. These scenery files were generated from preliminary SRTM (Shuttle Radar Topography Mission) data downloaded from ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/ (http://www.simviation.com/ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/). The complete scenery set is about 8.27GB"
How do these relate to Rhumba's?

OBIO
October 7th, 2009, 16:47
aeromed

You will want the LOD5 and LOD7 packages, plus the dem4km.zip package. Give me about an hour to write up an installation guide explaining how I have my install of Rhumba's world mesh set up...very easy, can be shared between installs, easy to deactivate if you need to. Also, this set up allows for easy sharing of the mesh between sims...CFS2, FS2002, FS2004 and FSX...yep, it works in all 4 sims....I use it in CFS2 and FS2004. Others have used it in FS2002 and FSX and report no issues.

Is Rhumba's mesh perfect...no. I doubt that there is such a thing as a perfect mesh..especially one designed to cover the entire world. It may not be perfect, but it is a HUGE improvement over the stock mesh.

The mesh on Simviation, from what I have heard from several sources...is that is has a lot of gaps and holes and anomalies in it. Not worth the time to download.

Trust me on this...you will LOVE Rhumbaflappy's world mesh and how much it improves FS2004 versus the stock mesh. If you don't love it, I will eat some no fat ice cream as punishment.

OBIO

rich12545
October 8th, 2009, 07:14
I have FS Global 2008. Includes FS9 and FSX. About $65. Has LOD 9 for the whole world.+ LOD 10 for the alps. About 13 gigs. Available at Flight1. I highly recommend it.