PDA

View Full Version : Just some Screens

falcon409
October 2nd, 2009, 22:02
I've been flying to the various airports I did for British Columbia, just to get a first hand look at them in a normal flying situation. These are just some screens I took this evening flying from Blue Lake to Jasper-Hinton.

falcon409
October 2nd, 2009, 22:08
I thought I would give the A2A Cub a shot on one leg of this journey and see if it could get off the ground and actually fly, but after stalling twice on climbout (almost no "nose up" pitch) with calm winds and that irritating woman in the front seat screaming her head off I set it down and switched aircraft to one that actually gets more than 50kts on a cool morning with no winds, lol.

If they'd allow me to (A2A) I'd gladly give it away to anyone who doesn't mind having birds pass them up in straight and level flight, lol.

glennc
October 3rd, 2009, 06:43
Hi, Ed. It might be worth checking your settings against what's in the book. I get about 75MPH cruise speed on standard wheels, a bit less on the others. I usually climb at about 60. It'll take a while but it will get you there, except in a north Texas head wind :engel016:. A Cub is a Cub. It's just not gonna deliver 100 MPH, or knots, from a 65 horse engine with a dirty airframe. But, it will teach some basic airmanship and seamanship like nothing else I've seen in FS. I think Heidi weighing about 125 pounds moves the CG far enough forward that she's good for a couple MPH. There are times I want to dope slap her, but most of the time I like having her along. When she's feeling Fun, she comes up with some strange stuff. I fly solo about half the time.

I hope your low and slow mileage gets better.

Glenn

Lionheart
October 3rd, 2009, 08:12
Hey Ed,

Glad you are enjoying the Tailwind. The Cub has its great points though. Two very small yet very different planes. One was built for pure speed, which makes it very difficult at slow speed, and one is designed for slow speed and slow landings.

That Cub sounds like great fun having Heidi along.

I have heard that there are 'alot' of issues when using giant tires that real pilots must deal with when flying with those. For instance, they will try to nose you over when you land, so you need to land different then with normal tires. You can see this in that Piper Cub Stall Contest Video filmed in Alaska. You can see how difficult they are to work with on the runway, when landing, taking off, etc. They will also cut your speed down quite a bit with those huge 'bean bag chairs' attached to the landing gear, catching all that wind, lol.. Maybe take them off and leave Heidi at home and do some flying...

:d

Bill

Bjoern
October 3rd, 2009, 09:49
Ed, there's also a very nice scenery for Kelowna out there as well as for Victoria. So if you need some more destinations in BC...:ernae:

Oh, and if you're bored and looking for kind of a challenge, I'd love to see a revived Denver Stapleton...:d

BananaBob
October 3rd, 2009, 09:59
Great shots! :ernae:

falcon409
October 3rd, 2009, 10:22
. . . . .Oh, and if you're bored and looking for kind of a challenge, I'd love to see a revived Denver Stapleton...:d
lol, a lot of folks probably would, but I don't do anything but smaller airstrips. Don't have any desire to get into larger airports.

Bjoern
October 3rd, 2009, 10:51
lol, a lot of folks probably would, but I don't do anything but smaller airstrips. Don't have any desire to get into larger airports.

Well, it was worth a try. :d

What about some regional/municipal airports? :jump: