PDA

View Full Version : Joystick Calibration Problem

swpierce
October 1st, 2009, 05:01
I have just replaced my old computer with a new one and have loaded up CFS3 with the 3.1 and 3.1a updates. When I try to calibrate my Logitech Force 3D Pro USB joystick in the Control Options the entire computer freezes up and must be restarted externally. This same joystick and calibration worked just fine on my old computer.
Anybody got any ideas?

Tailwind
October 1st, 2009, 05:10
I have just replaced my old computer with a new one and have loaded up CFS3 with the 3.1 and 3.1a updates. When I try to calibrate my Logitech Force 3D Pro USB joystick in the Control Options the entire computer freezes up and must be restarted externally. This same joystick and calibration worked just fine on my old computer.
Anybody got any ideas?

Hi,

What operating system?

Check device manager and make sure it is loaded properly.

Have you tried flying the game and using the stick without calibrating?

Did you install the software that came with the stick?

Can you test this in another game?

:ernae:

TW

rbp71854
October 1st, 2009, 05:40
Try control panel > game controllers > properties > settings > calibrate

Anybody got any ideas?

swpierce
October 1st, 2009, 05:59
Hi,

What operating system?

Check device manager and make sure it is loaded properly.

Have you tried flying the game and using the stick without calibrating?

Did you install the software that came with the stick?

Can you test this in another game?

TW

I am using Windows XP which I had them load on the new machine since that is what I had on the previous one which worked so well. The joystick does work in the game but it flies kind of squirrely and definitely needs calibrating. I loaded the Logitech software which I am pretty sure must be working since the force feedback did not work before I did so. Unfortunatley I do not have another game that supports a joystick.

O-1Driver
October 1st, 2009, 06:26
Anybody got any ideas?

SW,

A few years ago I bought a new Logitech and eventually ended up throwing it away. It would work part of the time but it had weird issues like losing right aileron during a game but the control would come back if I unplugged it and/or rebooted.

I found out later that some Logitech controllers are not compatible with some Windows operating systems. I bought a Saitek and have flown it for years without any problems at all.

I fought with that darn Logitech for months and it never did work right.

Steve

swpierce
October 1st, 2009, 06:34
Try control panel > game controllers > properties > settings > calibrate

Well, that worked fine for the calibration. Thanks!

I would still like to work any bugs out of the system since I am going to use this install as the base for loading up MAW, ETO, PTO. So if anybody knows if this lockup when attempting in-game calibration is a symptom of something I should fix please let me know.

swpierce
October 1st, 2009, 06:41
SW,

A few years ago I bought a new Logitech and eventually ended up throwing it away. It would work part of the time but it had weird issues like losing right aileron during a game but the control would come back if I unplugged it and/or rebooted.

I found out later that some Logitech controllers are not compatible with some Windows operating systems. I bought a Saitek and have flown it for years without any problems at all.

I fought with that darn Logitech for months and it never did work right.

Steve

I got the Logitech because I like the force feedback. It has generally worked well for me except for occassionally losing calibration. I have gone through a few of these because the force feedback mechanism wears out and eventually the slightest nudge or input causes it to start shaking wildly if left unattended. Each new one seems to last a little less longer than the previous.
Do you know if there are any other good quality force feedback sticks out there?

Tailwind
October 1st, 2009, 07:00
I got the Logitech because I like the force feedback. It has generally worked well for me except for occassionally losing calibration. I have gone through a few of these because the force feedback mechanism wears out and eventually the slightest nudge or input causes it to start shaking wildly if left unattended. Each new one seems to last a little less longer than the previous.
Do you know if there are any other good quality force feedback sticks out there?

Hi I started with the Logitech FF pro stick my self and found that the FF feature was flaky with CFS3 at he best of times. When a MP dog fight ended the stick would shake like mad and I had to unplug it until the next session started. I ended up disabling the FF feature. After that stick wore out I went with the Extreme 3D pro non FF. I like the stick and it works well with CFS3 and XP. However it has a very short life span. I have gone through probably 5 or 6 sticks in two years (I fly quite a bit). Others here will support this as they have the same issue. Buttons wear out, twist axis fails or the stick calibration will not set properly.

It may be my friend that this stick is at the end of it's life. Maybe try buying another and see if it behaves. If it does great, problem solved. If not then you can always return the new one and keep trouble shooting

TW

rbp71854
October 1st, 2009, 07:49
Now try running the calibration from within the CFS3 engine. Perhaps once you have now gone through the process via the control panel the stick's status is ok and you will be able to calibarte within the game. I just tried calibarating within the CFS3 game and it goes directly to the game controllers window. The 2nd attempt I had a lock-up.

I have in the past had lock-up problems using calibration within the game and have used the control panel method for years. Haven't noticed any problems with game play because of it.

Well, that worked fine for the calibration. Thanks!

I would still like to work any bugs out of the system since I am going to use this install as the base for loading up MAW, ETO, PTO. So if anybody knows if this lockup when attempting in-game calibration is a symptom of something I should fix please let me know.

swpierce
October 2nd, 2009, 06:06
Now try running the calibration from within the CFS3 engine. Perhaps once you have now gone through the process via the control panel the stick's status is ok and you will be able to calibarte within the game.

This actually worked. I was able to calibrate from the game, no problem.
Ha ha!
Thanks.