PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Turkeys

LouP
September 27th, 2009, 17:22
Hey guys,

I haven't flown my MAAM Avenger in quite a while and wanted to take her for a spin but everytime I try and load her up, it crashes my sim. Doesn't matter if it's the first aircraft I select in the session or not. I seem to remember there being an issue where we needed to modify the panel with the "Z-order" thing but that was done and I thought these issues were over. Is there anything else that I could be missing that is causing the sim to crash with the Turkey?

Thanks,
LouP

WarHorse47
September 27th, 2009, 19:03
There was a patch released that updated the gauge.cab file I believe.

The MAAM website has a section for MAAM ISSUED UPGRADES AND ADD-ONS, and the TBM patch #1 can be found there.

Try that and see if the problem continues. :ernae:

--WH

LouP
September 28th, 2009, 04:52
Well that wasn't it. Does anyone know where the support forums are for MAAM if there are any?

Thanks,
LouP

dogknot
September 28th, 2009, 05:24
Support is over at avsim forums.

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showforum=173

Duckie
September 28th, 2009, 08:26
Hi LouP,

I just reloaded FS9 and the TBMs and initially had the same problem. My probelm turned out to be that I also had loaded the Donationware F-4U scenery and the Langley positioned off Munda Point. The F-4U scenery has a traffic file with AI in it. I did not load the Corsairs nor the AI and this apparently was causing the crash.

If I deleted the either the Langley or the F-4U scenery everything worked.
OR...if I installed the Corsairs and the scenery with AI everthing worked with CVL29 installed.

That was my problem which I spent most of yesterday trying to figure out, after several reloads of the TBMs and reading the MAAM forums at AVSim, which are very sparce I assume because of the crash.

Don't know if this helps you but everything of mine is now running OK, no CTD, and can even switch AC in flight with no probs.

Good luck,
Duckie

thefrog
September 28th, 2009, 08:55
I had the same problem - the Avenger had been working perfectly and then suddenly it just crashed the sim whenever I loaded it. The only way I could get it to work was to load one of the MAAM Avenger flights and then switch locations if necessary. Worked for me anyway.
Frog

Duckie
September 28th, 2009, 11:39
I had the same problem - the Avenger had been working perfectly and then suddenly it just crashed the sim whenever I loaded it. The only way I could get it to work was to load one of the MAAM Avenger flights and then switch locations if necessary. Worked for me anyway.
Frog

That worked for me also, Forg, while I was trying to find my problem.

Duckie

LouP
September 28th, 2009, 12:45
Hey Duckie, thank you thank you. Just so I am clear, if I unzip my FDG Corsairs and reinstall everything including all of the scenery and AIs, I should OK? :applause:

LouP

Duckie
September 28th, 2009, 17:53
Hey Duckie, thank you thank you. Just so I am clear, if I unzip my FDG Corsairs and reinstall everything including all of the scenery and AIs, I should OK? :applause:

LouP

That's what did it for me. My final resolution was to reinstall the total Donationware F-4U package with the scenery, as well as the CVL29 Langley positioned off Munda Point and everthing began working again as it should.

Did it work for you? Hope so.

Duckie

WarHorse47
September 28th, 2009, 19:21
It's been awhile since I flew the TBM, and after following this thread I decided to go for a flight. Guess what. The TBM wouldn't even load. Now I have the Donationware Corsair and scenery, and even flew the TBM in and around on several occasions without a problem. So, something else has changed.

In reading the posts on the support forum, it appears there may be a conflict with FSUIPC. I can't remember which version I had when I first got the TBM, but it was overwritten by another install - so, when version 3.81 didn't work, I upgraded to version 3.93. Still, no TBM.

Then I removed the FSUIPC.dll from the module directory, and the TBM loaded and flew without any problem. Seems that MAAM needs to sit down with Ken Salter and figure out the conflict between FSUIPC.dll and the MAAM_TBM.gau file.

FSUIPC has a lot of settings, so I'm going to play around with a few of these and see if that solves the conflict problem.

--WH

Duckie
September 29th, 2009, 04:04
Hey WH,

Looks like you may have hit upon something. When I reloaded FS9 I loaded the latest free version of FSUIPC before loading addons. Now, don't ask me why my specific problem was associated with the Donationware F-4U package unless somewhere within this black magic art the new version of FSUIPC links all this together...somehow.

Duckie

WarHorse47
September 29th, 2009, 04:40
Hi Duckie..

I've made a post on Pete Dowson's forum outling the problem and seeing if there are any settings that can be made to better identify the conflict or isolate the cause. One simple guess is that there's a memory conflict between what the FSUIPC module loads and the MAAM_TBM.gau file.

Anyways, I assisted with some early beta testing of the TBM around CTDs related to the gauge. MAAM tweaked the gauge to a point where it was quite stable, but something has changed on my system now that I cannot even load it. One thing I know has changed is my version of FSUIPC, so when time permits I'm going to try and reinstall an earlier version and see what that does. There are also a couple of scenery addons I've added since I installed the TBM, and I might uninstall those as well. I'm not convinced of any scenery conflicts, but then again I'm not an expert on FSUIPC. We'll see what Dowson says and go from there.

--WH

LouP
September 29th, 2009, 04:52
Just when I get the itch for some turkey, something crops up :(. Duckie, I haven't had the chance to test your suggestion out yet but I am betting on an fsuipc conflict because that is one of the few things that has changed on my system since the last time I had some turkey. :monkies:

LouP

Duckie
September 29th, 2009, 06:32
Hi Duckie..

I've made a post on Pete Dowson's forum outling the problem and seeing if there are any settings that can be made to better identify the conflict or isolate the cause. One simple guess is that there's a memory conflict between what the FSUIPC module loads and the MAAM_TBM.gau file.

Anyways, I assisted with some early beta testing of the TBM around CTDs related to the gauge. MAAM tweaked the gauge to a point where it was quite stable, but something has changed on my system now that I cannot even load it. One thing I know has changed is my version of FSUIPC, so when time permits I'm going to try and reinstall an earlier version and see what that does. There are also a couple of scenery addons I've added since I installed the TBM, and I might uninstall those as well. I'm not convinced of any scenery conflicts, but then again I'm not an expert on FSUIPC. We'll see what Dowson says and go from there.

--WH

Thanks, WH. This may also explain some other peculiarities I've been encountering during my new FS9 install break-in period. No show stoppers yet, just little annoyances that can really drive you nuts (or in my case, extend the journey!)

I'll watch this one closely with interest.

Duckie

WarHorse47
September 30th, 2009, 17:58
Hi all. Time for an update.

Earlier this week I did a variety of experiments to see what was causing the Fatal Error with the Turkey. No luck.

I've posted some information on the various support forums. Got a lot of information from Pete Dowson, but nothing of substance.

At the moment I'm exchanging information with MAAM support, specifically with details from the FS9 error message in hope of identifying what is causing the problem. If you're having problems with the Turkey, try and get a screen print of the information page to share with the vendor so he can isolate the problem.

What I did is a shift-Print Screen command before I let the sim close down, then I pasted it into Paint Shop Pro to create the jpg file. It might help if you use screen mode (Alt-Enter) instead of full screen.

I'll keep you informed.

--WH

Duckie
September 30th, 2009, 18:16
Thanks for the update, WH. Standing by.

Duckie

LouP
September 30th, 2009, 19:53
Thanks for looking at this WH. The efforts are very appreciated. :icon29: :medals: One question, How are you preventing FS from shutting down to get the screen print? Mine just crashes when I go to load the Turkey and nothing is left for me to take a shot of.

LouP

WarHorse47
September 30th, 2009, 20:02
Thanks for looking at this WH. The efforts are very appreciated. :icon29: :medals: One question, How are you preventing FS from shutting down to get the screen print? Mine just crashes when I go to load the Turkey and nothing is left for me to take a shot of.

LouPNot sure. Mine will not even load. I can select it, but when I go to fly nothing loads and I get the Fatal Error message.

According to MAAM whatever is happening has different results. With mine, I can remove FSUIPC and the problem goes away. The interesting thing is that the MAAM_TBM.gau doesn't even use FSUIPC. This solution doesn't seem to work for everybody.

One thing that I may be doing differently is that I'm using FSAutoStart to shut down a lot of background programs. This may or may not have an affect on my ability to prevent FS from totally shutting down. Don't know.

--WH

WarHorse47
October 2nd, 2009, 10:28
Stay tuned..
There should be an updated SP coming from MAAM soon....

[Always wanted to use that word. :icon_lol:]

--WH

Duckie
October 2nd, 2009, 12:30
Great news WH. Thanks for chasing it.

Duckie

LouP
October 2nd, 2009, 13:12
:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: goanna get some turkey :jump::jump::jump::jump:

ty WH

westjet
October 3rd, 2009, 13:24
I sure hope a fix arrives soon for the turkey as its been rusting away in my hangar since i purchased it. Kinda frustrating to have this problem with a payware aircraft and i know this is happening to more than just a few guys.CTD every time i try and load it up in the sim no matter how i set up the flights. At least the proceeds of the sale go towards the museum

WarHorse47
October 3rd, 2009, 16:13
Like I said....

Stay tuned..
There should be an updated SP coming from MAAM soon....

[Always wanted to use that word. :icon_lol:]

--WHTrust me. :monkies:

--WH

Javis
October 4th, 2009, 02:49
Gentlemen,

Just got the Turkey SP1 pack from Fred to try out and i'm happy to tell you that she's gobbling away again like ever before ! :jump:

Like you i couldn't load the Turkey into FS9 anymore neither all of a sudden, never seen a problem like this before ! :isadizzy:

I have no clue what has actually been the cause of this remarkable problem, i'll ask Fred and report back.

In any case, i'll see that the SP1 pack gets uploaded here asap. In addition to the FS crash solution a nicer looking external canopy glass will also be included.

@ Warhorse e.a.: thanks very much for helping to locate the problem ! :ernae:

Cheers,
Jan

Javis
October 4th, 2009, 02:55
I sure hope a fix arrives soon for the turkey as its been rusting away in my hangar since i purchased it.

Why ??......

Can't be the current FS crash problem cause AFAIK it only turned up in the last week(s) or so....

cheers,
Jan

LouP
October 4th, 2009, 06:06
I'm thinking that MS sent us all one of their beloved automatic updates that caused a conflict, but it's pure conjecture on my half. I just can't figure out what else could have happened except for the fsuipc thing but I learned here from WH that the turkey doesn't utilize that so what else? As long as a fix is coming all is well :jump:

LouP

WarHorse47
October 4th, 2009, 06:52
I'm thinking that MS sent us all one of their beloved automatic updates that caused a conflict, but it's pure conjecture on my half. I just can't figure out what else could have happened except for the fsuipc thing but I learned here from WH that the turkey doesn't utilize that so what else? As long as a fix is coming all is well :jump:

LouPFred provided me with an explaination, but it was beyond my expertise. We both concluded it might have been a memory conflict, but not sure what brought it on. Possibly an XP update changed the way memory was used by the gauge itself, and in my case, it might have conflicted with FSUIPC or something it left in memory.

Interesting enought, I seem to be the only one who got get a 'Fatal Error' report vs. a CTD with no error message. I took the usual path of seeing what was on the MAAM and FSUIPC forums, but didn't see any conclusive results so I contacted Fred directly and later provided him with the first page of the error message. He was able to determine a solution from there and modified the MAAM_TBM.gau.

@ Warhorse e.a.: thanks very much for helping to locate the problem ! :ernae:
Thanks, Jan. You're most welcome. I'm glad everything worked out. I do have to admit that after several hours of testing I had to take a break and watch my DVD of the Roaring Glory Warbirds TBM AVenger with Steve Hinton. :icon_lol:

--WH

westjet
October 4th, 2009, 10:39
Why ??......

Can't be the current FS crash problem cause AFAIK it only turned up in the last week(s) or so....

cheers,
Jan

Since i purchased this in june 08 i have been having CTD when ever i try and fly the turkey.I cant explain it, Dont know what has causes it, but it has been un usable to me in the sim.

WarHorse47
October 4th, 2009, 11:53
Since i purchased this in june 08 i have been having CTD when ever i try and fly the turkey.I cant explain it, Dont know what has causes it, but it has been un usable to me in the sim Many of us had problems with Turkey back in June 08 as well. Specifically, when trying to change Turkey models or paints, or from switching to other a/c. The gauge was reworked and the patch, along with some panel.cfg tweaks, solved the problem back then. You didn't mention if you applied the 1st patch or not. If you did, then it might be something else going on.

Anyways, when the new SP is available, let us know if it solves the CTD for you.

--WH

NathanT28
October 4th, 2009, 13:57
I hope the SP1 pack comes soon! I am hurting for some Turkey, I miss flying the old bird. Thanks guys for figureing it out and again cannot wait to buzz some airfields with this Big Bird!

WarHorse47
October 4th, 2009, 20:34
Just found this on the MAAM Support Forum..

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=262676

:ernae:

--WH

LouP
October 4th, 2009, 20:42
Anyone else getting errors trying to open the zip file?

LouP

westjet
October 4th, 2009, 21:51
It works for me!!! Atlast some turkey and just in time for thanksgiving. Thanks to everyone that helped get this to us.Time for a flight off of midway in search of the carriers.
Lou maybe try downloading the file again?

NathanT28
October 4th, 2009, 23:22
Yes it works, SP1 works. I love flying the Turkey again! Now I can fly N700RW again!

Cees Donker
October 5th, 2009, 03:56
It works for me too!

:applause:

Thanks Jan!

Cees

Javis
October 5th, 2009, 04:06
Ah! Too late for me to bring you the good news i see... Hehe

Well done WH ! :mixedsmi:

Gents, please do remember this is only a beta. We'd love any feedback you can give us.

Thanks Nathan, Cees, and Westjet, glad to know it works for you ( you could've come to our forum back then so we could've helped you finding a solution... )

Lou, did you get to open the file after redownload ? ..

cheers,
Jan

LouP
October 5th, 2009, 05:35
Hi Jan,

I think a bad download got caught in my memory. No matter how many times I downloaded the file, my zip program was telling me it was a bad file. I don't use winzip and am work right now and can't remember the name of the zip program. I'll try again tonight and if I still can't open it, will try with winrar. I believe that winrar will open zip files. That way I can rule out the zip program as causing the problem. Computers...... geez. At least others are confirming the fix so I can't wait to get her running again.

LouP :kilroy:

NathanT28
October 5th, 2009, 13:09
Hey Jan, thank you for all your work and thanks WH. I did post something on the MAAM-SIM support forum and I was frantic trying to find what update did this LOL. I am NathanT24 over on the avsim forum.