PDA

View Full Version : Some Install Advice Please

Duckie
September 25th, 2009, 18:27
Hi Everyone,

My new PC build (my first) is up and has passed burn in. All systems are go. Three fresh FS 9 installs (FS9, Silver Wings and GW3) are sitting in their own dedicated partition of a 32bit 7200 RPM SATA drive.

After spending many hours reading tons of YOUR posts on the various addon products (payware and freeware), I would like to call upon the scores (centuries?) of experience residing on this forum for some advice…….

Is there a recommended order/technique/organization in which to install the following to my new FS9 install, all of which are sitting here just waiting to be installed and gazed upon!

These scenery/environment addons I've selected to be installed.

1. FS Genesis Mesh
2. Ultimate Terrain USA/Canada/Alaska,
3. Real Environment Pro
4. Ground Environment Pro
5. HDE Clouds by Pablo Diaz

Dozens of other various and sundry addons (sceneries, planes, trains and automobiles) will also be installed over the coming days and weeks as time permits.

I appreciate your opinions, suggestions and recommendations,
Duckie

Tom Clayton
September 25th, 2009, 18:43
Anything that's texture replacement can be done in whatever order you like, but if you have two packages that do the same thing (like clouds), then whichever one you do last will be what you see.

On the other hand, the general rule for anything that has to be activated in the Scenery Library is to have anything specific to one place higher on the list than more general stuff. For instance. If you have a continental mesh like FSG, then that would be lower than, for instance, a mesh for Devils Tower. If the FSG was higher on the list than the Tower, you'd never see the Tower. Likewise, airport scenery packages go at the top too.

Wing_Z
September 25th, 2009, 21:29
Something I'll try on my next major re-install is to better categorise the addon scenery.
I have started by adding a prefix to the scenery file name, and then placing them in the same country folder. Meshes and landclass files go in there too, and are added to the sim first, by country. Other scenery from that country simply follows, be it free- or payware.

That way, they are easy to find and modify if needed, in Windows as well as in the FS database.