PDA

View Full Version : Gasping for clean air.

demorier
September 23rd, 2009, 01:23
Large areas of eastern Australia and adjacent inland copped a big dust storm today (including where I live). Red dust from inland blown towards the coast.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/photos/2009/09/23/2693741.htm

FlyTexas
September 23rd, 2009, 02:22
Wow! That looks very surreal. I hope it blows through quickly.

Brian

Snuffy
September 23rd, 2009, 03:12
Wow! That looks very surreal. I hope it blows through quickly.

Brian

Ditto, but it sure does make for some very "pretty" (should say interesting) pictures.

Navy Chief
September 23rd, 2009, 03:46
All the dust not withstanding........that is a beautiful place! Someday I want to visit.

NC

Matt Wynn
September 23rd, 2009, 06:19
reminds me of dome of the dust storms out in Iraq/Kuwait, surreal yet theres a beauty to it ...

crashaz
September 23rd, 2009, 07:50
Reminds me of Arizona monsoons. Those in AZ for any length of time will know what I am talking about. In the 70's we had dust storms last hours.

Curtis P40
September 23rd, 2009, 13:20
reminds me of dome of the dust storms out in Iraq/Kuwait, surreal yet theres a beauty to it ...
Ditto on that Smoothie. Used to get in/on everything, no matter how good you had things button-up. Could not imagine having to deal with it in your own house and car.
Curt

but.. it sure does make for some neat pictures.

Wing_Z
September 23rd, 2009, 13:41
It's blown out over the Tasman and caused a bit of hurried rescheduling of flights - nobody wants to fly an airliner through that stuff.
We should get a spectacular sunset in Auckland, unless it rains out along the way.

Trans_23
September 23rd, 2009, 13:51
Those pictures and videos are wild. Have fun cleaning up afterwards.

demorier
September 23rd, 2009, 17:12
I could see it beginning to move in about mid morning up our way, so I closed every window and external door and ran the air-con all day and into the evening. All clear this morning (thank heavens). There's some very dirty cars running around the place today.

Cactuskid
September 23rd, 2009, 17:28
Wow! That looks like the fly-over scenes from the end of "Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome"! I live in southern Arizona, so dust storms are nothing new to me, but I've never seen anything that looks like that! Pretty awesome!