PDA

View Full Version : The Avengers tv show.....ahead of its time.

Navy Chief
September 22nd, 2009, 16:23
It was one of my favorite shows. It ran (with different actors) from 1961-69, but as far as I am concerned, the best duo was Patrick Macnee and Dianna Rigg. (I had such a crush on her!)

The Avengers had really cool special effects. In fact, I think it would be successful today, even by today's standards.

n0YOlU3SMgs&feature=youtube_gdata

Henry
September 22nd, 2009, 17:24
yup one of my favorites also
H:icon29:

safn1949
September 22nd, 2009, 18:01
Oh my...Mrs Peele,what a dream.:d

The show was pure class.

Wing_Z
September 22nd, 2009, 18:11
Lumley!

TomSteber
September 22nd, 2009, 18:29
Do you guys remember when they came out with "The New Avengers"? '80's I think.
It was good, but never touched the original.

Navy Chief
September 22nd, 2009, 18:34
Do you guys remember when they came out with "The New Avengers"? '80's I think.
It was good, but never touched the original.

Isn't that usually the case?

Same thing, for the most part, with movies. Take for example, "The Flight of the Phoenix". In my opinion, why even TRY to improve on ANY movie that James Stewart starred in? The man was the epitome of a great actor. And that film is a classic. Yet they just had to remake it. Don't get me wrong, I have always liked Dennis Quaid; but the original movie is the best, hands down.

Lionheart
September 22nd, 2009, 18:35
Great shows! Both of them.

I loved the Lotus!

Mrs. Peal was.... oooo lah lah! :d

lifejogger
September 22nd, 2009, 19:16
Loved that show and love Mrs Peele too.

Wing_Z
September 22nd, 2009, 19:17
...and a bit of movie trivia:
The Avenger ladies were all Bond girls:
Diana Rigg and Joanna Lumley in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and Honor Blackman (as Pussy Galore) in Goldfinger!
Also, Patrick Mcnee appeared in A View to a Kill

Of them all, I would cast my cape in the puddle for Ms Lumley any day.

Eoraptor1
September 23rd, 2009, 09:11
Emma Peele, Baby!!! (NOTE: when I say Emma Peele, I mean Diana Rigg, not Uma.) I was very very impressed with her as a little boy, and I keep seeing echoes of her in the warrior women from The Matrix and the vampire hotties from the Underworld movies. She was also very smart, so all the modern action heroines now have to be Phds as well as kung-fu mystagogues.

Question: Did we ever get to meet Mr. Peele? I only saw the show in syndication, and there are big gaps in my viewing.

JAMES

denisch
September 23rd, 2009, 09:44
Question: Did we ever get to meet Mr. Peele? I only saw the show in syndication, and there are big gaps in my viewing.

Only from the back as he held a car door open for Emma. As I remember the series Mr. Peele had been lost for sometime in Africa and had finally returned to England. It was also the last Avenger episode to feature Diana Rigg as Emma Peele (insert big big pout here) and introduced Tara King as John Stead's partner.

Hals und Bein Bruch
September 23rd, 2009, 15:22
sorry, gang, no "e" in Peel... Sir Peter Peel was an explorer "lost in the Amazon" and declared legally dead - hence the plethora of knowing looks that permeated the series. once Rigg's replacement was on board Sir Peter was discovered alive and Emma was delighted to be married again...:jump:

Eoraptor1
September 23rd, 2009, 15:46
sorry, gang, no "e" in Peel... Sir Peter Peel was an explorer "lost in the Amazon" and declared legally dead - hence the plethora of knowing looks that permeated the series. once Rigg's replacement was on board Sir Peter was discovered alive and Emma was delighted to be married again...:jump:

Thanks for the info. I'd always thought it was "Peele" with an "e".

JAMES

hewman100
September 24th, 2009, 01:42
Why does everyone seem to forget Tara King?

Eoraptor1
September 24th, 2009, 11:11
Why does everyone seem to forget Tara King?

I haven't forgotten her; she's just no Emma Peel in my estimation.

JAMES

hewman100
September 25th, 2009, 01:43
I have to agree that the Sainted Dame Diana as Mrs. Peel cannot be bettered. It's just that sandwiched between her and the national treasure that is Miss Lumley, poor Linda Thorson gets a raw deal:engel016: