PDA

View Full Version : Rush of Adrenaline

Moses03
September 19th, 2009, 15:00
Was mowing the lawn this morning and heard a louder than usual rumble. Stopped the engine and looked up to see a B-24 coming over the house at a low alt. Is there anything better than seeing and hearing that!:jump:

Not sure which B-24 is on tour in the area. Maybe something was going on over at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum at KADS.

Moses

Toastmaker
September 19th, 2009, 15:18
Hm. . . anybody know how many B-24's are still flying? Many fewer than B-17's I'd suspect, even though many more were built.

Must have been quite a sight.

PRB
September 19th, 2009, 15:41
Oh man, I bet that must have been a sight!

CAF has one, but it's a C-87 (I think). There is at least one "real" flying B-24 out there.

Was it this one?

http://www.warbirdalley.com/b24.htm (http://www.warbirdalley.com/b24.htm)

Bomber_12th
September 19th, 2009, 16:34
It was likely the CAF's B-24A, as it has been based at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum facilities for a while now, under a partnership between the B-29/B-24 Squadron of the CAF, and the Cavanaugh Flight Museum. (Once the B-29A FIFI is made flyable again, it too will be based with the CFM, under the ownership of the CAF).

The only other B-24 that is flying, is the Collings Foundation B-24J, and I don't think it is down that way, as I seem to recall it has been up around New England more recently.

(Note: The CAF's B-24A, was originally produced as a B-24A (one of the very first of any B-24's in production) and was modified to C-87 status before going into service. The interior still shows the aircraft as being a B-24A in locations, and it was converted, to the best of Gary Austin's abilities (the then head crew chief on the aircraft) back to B-24A configuration. However, the nose is still a later D-model nose, added during the war I believe, or immediately post-war, and the cargo door is still in place.)

A third B-24, that could be made to fly, is Kermit Weeks', but it would require thorough maintenance - possibly a restoration. The aircraft however is extremely complete, much more so than most warbirds, featuring all of its original WWII equipment, having never been removed from the aircraft since production.

crashaz
September 19th, 2009, 16:59
I saw it too! I live in Uptown and my 5th floor balcony faces with a downtown view... happened to be outside and heard the rumble... looked up and saw the B-24 fly over me at about 2000 feet... :jump::jump: around 10 this morning right?

My first thought was the Cavanaugh too... saw it in April with Dad while visiting the museum.

Moses03
September 19th, 2009, 17:13
... looked up and saw the B-24 fly over me at about 2000 feet... :jump::jump: around 10 this morning right?

Yup!

Thanks for the info Bomber. Didn't know it was over in Addison now. Will have to stop by and take a look. Have not seen her since she was "Diamond Lil".