PDA

View Full Version : Runway 12

hawkeye52
September 19th, 2009, 12:49
Can someone PLEASE tell me HOW to assemble a ROTATING beacon using RWY12 library objects?

I have placed a beacon on the beacon base and added a "cone" (light), but I cannot get it to rotate.

- H52

hawkeye52
September 22nd, 2009, 08:51
OK, then how about a rotating green/white beacon from any other library?

Anyone? PLEASE!

- H52

hawkeye52
September 23rd, 2009, 14:22
If anyone out there has a similar problem, here are two solutions:
1. "beacon_towers_rwy12_lib.zip"
2. "rotating_beacon.zip"

Both are available at AvSim.

- H52

Lionheart
September 23rd, 2009, 15:50
Hey Hawkeye,

Thanks for the heads up.

I got so frustrated with Rwy 12 (parts not showing up or not showing painted) that I no longer do anything with it...

Frustrating is not the word for it....

Bill

hawkeye52
September 23rd, 2009, 18:28
Glad to help, Lionheart.

What are you using in place of Rwy12?

- H52

Lionheart
September 23rd, 2009, 20:45
Nothing lately. I havent found anything that I really liked.

Rwy12 used to work really good. I wish I knew what I did to mess it up. I tried everything I knew to fix it, but it just wouldnt work.

The one at Abacus seems to be second to Rwy12. Their libraries are building up. I forget what the price is.

The beauty of Rwy12 is that its loaded with tons of libraries and great models.

Bill

Sidney Schwartz
September 23rd, 2009, 21:04
The one at Abacus seems to be second to Rwy12. Their libraries are building up. I forget what the price is.

The beauty of Rwy12 is that its loaded with tons of libraries and great models.

The Abacus program is EZ-Scenery...I used it to create many of my sceneries. Now I use Flight1's Instant Scenery. Both, in my humble opinion, are far superior to RWY12. They are not freeware like RWY12, but for someone who does a lot of scenery work they are worth every penny because of the time they will save you. Both EZ-Scenery and Instant Scenery can use all the RWY12 scenery objects, plus the hundreds of other objects that are available for free on Avism and other sites. RWY12 actually has far fewer scenery objects available for it because it uses a non-standard object library structure.

Just an observation from someone who's spent many hours using all these programs. :wavey:

OBIO
September 23rd, 2009, 22:35
Is there another freeware scenery program out that that is like Runway12...click and place? I have Runway12 installed, and some of the objects fail to take their textures, or simply fail to show up in the sim. I have quadruple installed all the scenery objects and stuff, and still the same thing happens.

I have a link to a site that lists tons of old, forgotten and abandoned air strips and would like to do some of them for Golden Wings. Not sure where I can find the older style hangers and such.

OBIO

Sidney Schwartz
September 24th, 2009, 01:06
After I wrote my previous reply I remembered another freeware program that lets you place objects in much the same way as RWY12, and it is not limited to using the RWY12 object libraries. It's Jon "Scruffyduck" Masterson's Library Object Manager. It's actually two programs...one that lets you organize your object libraries so you can quickly find specific objects, and a scenery program that lets you place the objects in FS9. It works pretty much like RWY12, but does some very neat tricks that even the payware programs don't do, like automatically creating lines of objects (like fencing), or letting you define an area of any shape and fill it with objects of your choice....great for quickly planting large numbers of trees. Jon's more recent freeware program, ADE9X, does everything AFCAD does and also allows you to place scenery objects. The guy's a freakin' genius. :medals:

edmoore235
September 24th, 2009, 03:27
LOM is very powerful. The tough part for me was the setup.... scenery maker is easy to use. It previews FS9 scenery and RWY12 objects, very useful. Have used ABACUS - EZ SCENERY and INSTANT SCENERY, prefer the latter two. FWIW: Jon is a genius!!

Ed :jump:

bpfowler
September 25th, 2009, 17:16
what about scruffyduck's ADE?
The boyz at calclassics are onto it.

Appears to do both airport layout and library object placement.

edmoore235
September 25th, 2009, 18:02
Your right, ADE sounds like the ticket!! Have a copy installed just need to find four or five more hours within the 24 hr day we have now!!!

ed :pop4:

Sidney Schwartz
September 25th, 2009, 18:04
I mentioned ADE in my post. I haven't tried tried it yet so I can't comment on how well it works. Very well, I would guess, based on my experiences with his other programs. There is also a new version of LMViewer in the works that is supposed to place objects in FS9.

I did forget to mention that Sbuilder also has some object placing capabilities. The bottom line for me, though is that EZ-Scenery and Instant Scenery are still the only programs (as far as I know) that allow you to place objects in FS in real time...you work in FS and see the objects in FS as you position them. That's a huge advantage. Of the two, Instant Scenery is has more features and works better. IMO it's the top choice for someone who plans on doing more than the occassional bit of scenery. :medals:

The way these various programs are developing, it looks like at some point down the road we'll have an all-in-one, real time scenery editor for FS that does airports, terrain, objects, mesh, and pretty much anything else you can do with scenery. We're so lucky to have so many smart people in this hobby. :applause:

hawkeye52
September 26th, 2009, 18:52
Hah!!! I forgot that I had purchased Instant Scenery 1.04 a few months ago. Guess it's time to run the .EXE!

- H52